Guard Duty

Inside and around Castle Gravesbane
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"very well, if you will not indulge me this day, please let me know which day you will, so that i may be sure to not be busy or out of town. a day where you are willing to discuss things for real. you'd get all if any questions answered, likewise the same for me. unless your hatred of me is so deep you wouldn't like to see me anymore. at which point there is a price that you would have to pay. if you wish me gone ask it and i shall give you the terms, after which you shall never see me again. unless you are lawless than you are welcome to attempt to remove me by your own hand at any point you wish. thank you for your time."
Gil-Galad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Gil-Galad »

-"Mathias", or so he had gone by for too long, strolls into the keep. A gray woolen cloak wrapped tightly around him. He appears pleased about something. He gives a nod to Franchesco, and barely a glance at Ashearth.-

"Franchesco, friend. I am glad to see you. I had a few things I wanted to speak to you about in private. Or at least in more pleasant company. Is there an issue here? I can't help but notice your stance and the air of discontent, good warrior."
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"is there some sort of problem sir. last i had checked there was no bad blood. however many would consider your actions an insult. there is no problem you will problably find Francesco and myself together often. just seems to be that where ever the destination we end up travling relativly in the same circles"
Gil-Galad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Gil-Galad »

-The elf looks at Ashearth with contempt.-

"There is in fact bad blood, necromancer. Have you forgotten the insults you dealt me within the book-world? And furthermore, any who desecrate bodies and use them as puppets breed bad blood among goodly folk. You know that what you are doing is unacceptable, you are most certainly aware that the tampering-with of bodies can cause souls to corrupt, and return to plague the living, and yet... You still seem to think you have the authority to use the dead as tools. Let me inform you of something, sorcerer. Just because one has the power to do something does not mean they have the right. And no little piece of parchment giving you the legal ability is going to change my mind on this."
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"so you say there was some ill words spoken inside of an imaginary world that no one had full control of? well i certainly don't remember any of this. for my part please except my deepest apologies. i did not come to this land to make enemies. as for tampering with what did you call it the souls, i make it a very strict point never to touch their essences. that would be a true crime. i do what i do, because i must, you call me a necromancer but there are many things at stake, if your a learned man than you would have words with me in order to create some sort of understanding and harmony. if you are not and choose to be narrow minded than that is also your choice. now either way you choose let this be our crossroads and which ever way you go down let that path lead us both to happiness. for if you choose to turn your back on me and no longer listen than let things die with that, we can both go on our lives without causing problems for each other. i simply mean to live and allow others to live. if you have doubts in my words than hear them further"
Gil-Galad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Gil-Galad »

"I am a learned man, and I have studied many things about death, and the essence. You may not touch the essence itself, but to move a body in any way that is not respectful to the original owner can cause their essence to become malevolent. This can spawn everything from simple poltregeists to ghosts, specters, shadows and worse yet, wraiths. I know not what tradition of magic you learned from, but I would have thought that one who tampers with the forces of life and death would know such things. And if you do know, and choose to disregard this, then you are a danger to everyone around you for bringing such evil into the world. You will do as you please, and I will not attempt to force your hand to do anything against your will, but I ask of you this: use some discretion with what you choose to animate. Beasts and monsters are one thing. They tend not to have the force of will to re-manifest their essence. But sentient, self-aware creatures are dangerous. I will never agree with the use of such magics as yours, but some are worse than others."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Having heard a an extended commotion of heated words outside, Dallid ventures out to investigate, catching the last exchange in the process.

“Gentlemen, times change. Indeed, with the Cataclysm the entire world has changed, and with it – the Cycle, itself. Where once Necromancy was the very definition of evil in every way to the living of Phanterra, such is no longer the case. For there *is* no longer Necromancy. Nor Fire Magic. Nor Water, nor Air, nor Chaos. There is only the One Magic, and the good or evil of it can only be measured by the wielder’s intent.”

“Now, the Necromancers of old were certainly evil, and no doubt seek to continue or regain their ways. Thus might the use of ‘corpse magic’ be a good indicator of evil intent, as it tends to be best understood by the evil ones who used it prior to the Cataclysm. So does Ashearth understand the wary greetings he received in Haven.”

“But he has demonstrated time and again his intent is benevolent. Thus has Haven extended him a measure of trust - for if we cannot trust one another, we are doomed to failure. Yet also are we doomed if we are not vigilant. So we Trust, yet Verify. As so, for instance, is Ashearth required to take his student to dine in the Keep twice each day, where the court may observe the progress of his influence.”

“It is Intent that we must know – of which we must stay vigilant. For instance, you both agree the manipulation of essence is wrong, yet some of the greatest heroes of bygone ages were Essence Mages. Indeed, my own abilities rely on the ebb and flow of essence. I absorb it in myriad ways and release it in myriad others – most often in the form of healing. My very form is sustained by borrowed essence from the land around us. As an Avatar of Phanterra, essence is the median in which I work. I would hope you don’t consider me ‘evil’.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"thank you friend, you are one of the wisest i have ever seen. of course i do not feel as though you are evil. i simply make an argument for the necromancers of old and their intent. one would be mad to call you vile for your deeds and kind heart has proven you innocence beyond question. it is only that i wish others could see things the way you do, than i wouldn't be judged so rashly."
Gil-Galad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Gil-Galad »

"I can respect that viewpoint. But I still feel that if you are going to animate corpses, you should refrain from desecration of the honored dead. I do apologize for my heated retort, Ashearth. But do not take this as trust in your intent. I have no reason to trust you as of yet, and but I am willing to take a second look before leaping to a final conclusion. in the right hands, and with great care, even evil can be a weapon for good. I just have not determined whether I feel your hands are capable of such responsibility."
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

Franchesco gives a nod to Mathias and listens to the exchange of words between the group that has gathered in front of the gate. Mathias's last words bring a small frown to the old knight and he shakes his head slightly

"Evil can never be used as a weapon for good. No hands are capable handling such a force without consequence because evil corrupts. It is only our hubris that allows us think that we can control such temptation. "

"I am not a learned man and know very little of magic, but I know the feelings in my heart when I see a corpse made to dance like a puppet. And the heart tells no lies."
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"Francesco, are you stating that intent for an action doesn't matter, that only the means is what is important?"
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

He's been standing there for some time, at the corner of the Keep, watching, listening and writing in his leather bound journal. He hasn't interjected, as both parties should feel free to give voice to any concerns they might have. A smile could be seen at the corners of his mouth, because it still amazed him that with the imminent danger on the horizon, people still had time for petty squabbles barely concealed by theological debate. It's hard to tell who his attention is more focused on because of the wrap he's grown accustomed to wearing over his eyes, but Ashearth's last statement brings a broader smile to his face. He takes his time to safely pack his journal, and slowly saunters over to the growing crowd

"Well I've heard of weirder things than strangers not trusting strangers" the Lord Marshall states to no one in particular "A question then, elven stranger. Have you yourself witnessed Asthearth animate any of the 'honored dead' in this land? Are you yourself in a position to dictate the law to another? By your own admonition you pass judgement on whether or not Ashearth can carry the responsibility of good or evil. Should I be concerned? Will you pass the same judgement on me if you don't agree with a decision I might make in the future?"

There is no anger in his voice, just mild bemusement. For being one of the longer lived races, the Lord Marshall always remembered the elves to pass quick judgement on those who didn't live to their standards. Perhaps this one needs to be reminded that this is no longer elven land? As he inwardly laughs, he silently thanks the men gathered.

"Well Dallid, is this not proof that the healing of Haven has begun in earnest? I doubt the elves would have allowed this open debate, on the footsteps of the castle no less. Please gentlemen, continue, as I find this most refreshing"
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

"No Ashearth. I'm saying that they both matter. Intent as well as means because the two both reflect your true character. I have a problem with folk who would stab someone in their sleep and say it was for the greater good because that person was a murderer. I have a problem with people who lie and manipulate to gain favor in order to aid the greater good."

"The issue is that when doing things for this so called 'greater good' we lose perspective. We feel as though we can make judgments without respect to our fellow folk, because we feel as though we know what is in their best interest. We feel as though we have done things and have experiences make us entitled simply act...without regard council or guidance."

"The 'greater good' is a step on a path that always leads to ruin."
Gil-Galad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Gil-Galad »

"To you, Lord Marshal, I ask this: Do I not have the right in these lands to speak my mind? Do I not have the right to call into question deeds I feel to be wrong? It is my understanding that with the emancipation of these lands came a measure of free thought and freedom of expression. If that is not the case, I shall surely still my tongue. But until by legal decree or given word of the Queen herself, I will continue to state my opinion and make any judgments I choose, to whomever I choose and at whatever time I choose. And to answer your question, it is not about agreeing with the decision. It is about morality. Good is relative, as is evil. In my eyes, it is evil to tamper with the bodies of the dead. Would you not stop a person from attaching a corpse to puppeteer's strings and making it walk? Would you consider that evil, or at least improper? If not, your ways are strange to me. Also, I have watched him animate a corpse, it sickened me. Granted, it was in the book-world, but he willfully used magic to bring false life to the dead."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Paer’an has challenged your statements, Gil-Galad, but not asked you to still your tongue – quite the contrary. I agree with him that this is a healthy debate. These are thoughts that are best released and expressed, not left to simmer in silence.”

“Francesco mentioned ‘perspective’, and this is key. If an innocent must die for a thousand to live, should the sacrifice be made? Some would say ‘unfortunately yes’, and others ‘certainly not’ depending on their perspective of the situation. Who would be right and who wrong? That would depend upon the perspectives of any observers. “

“Likewise, as Gil-Galad said, even the terms of ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are relative… to an extent. A rabbit witnessing a wolf ravaging its den, destroying all it has known and loved, would consider it the personification of ultimate evil. On the other hand the wolf’s pups, witnessing the same thing, would consider the wolf the ultimate hero – the personification of selfless love – for toiling to gather the food they need to survive. However, I think all would see another rabbit, who led the wolf to the den for no other reason than to hear the death-cries of its doomed kin, would be judged evil from every perspective.”

“And so taking such relativity into account, the best we can manage is a majority perspective for defining if a given person or act is ‘good’ or ‘evil’. The minority must accept the judgment of the majority if society is to function – but never blindly. Vigilance must always be maintained and suspicions investigated, within the boundaries of civilization.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.