in search of answers

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

in search of answers

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire hurriedly trudged down the road through snow that was now at his ankles level, he pulled at his cloak trying to wrap it tighter against him as the wind made the night that much colder. looking down towards his hands he produced the note he had received from abaddon to consult the directions the old valkyn vi man had enclosed when he heard a loud bang that seemed to resonate from the direction of the town, more specifically the inn. upon hearing this the witch hunter quickly spun around swinging his shield in front of him and drawing his blade all in one fluid motion, his cloak unfurled and bellowed out as would a ships sail that had been caught by a stiff breeze.
he stood at the ready for anything with the tip of his blade carefully poised and parallel with his eyes as the rushed sound of footsteps through came toward him accompanied by a furious jingling.

upon recognizing the sound sapphire sighed out of annoyance and the all too familiar scowl came across his face.

"why do i get the feeling that you were some how involved with the explosion i just heard." :sapphire said bitingly at the rather jingly approaching figure:
elgoain Onyx.

for i'm a rover, seldom sober
i'm a rover of high degree!
when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
how to gain my love's company.
Abyss
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Abyss »

The frenzied jingling that had been heard would gradually begin to slow.

Jingle jingle jingle jingle.....

jingle jingle jingle....

jingle jingle.....jingle

jingle...jingle....jing-

The tiny figure coming nearly to a dead stop at the sight of a drawn blade and shield. The air filled with the sound of bells suddenly stopping seemingly mid jingle. The tiny figures eyes going wide as his hat bell finally finished the sag it had started earlier.

-gle..

"Uh....Because you always think it is me.....which really isnt fare at all Saph I mean it could just as easily be any other guthrie with blue tipped hair and bells all across their body that went screeching past a swarm of people after -accidentally- setting off a small explosion that may or may not have resulted in the more than likely tie dying of an entire room....After being left there by his friend....kinda how you did to me..."

He would pause momentarily to take a deep breath before continuing.

"And I for one would not hold them at all responsible for such an accident as it could very easily happen to anyone. Especially if they were in the process of mixing a very basic potion....with just a few chemical alterations to slightly change the color to something more cheerful. I mean who would want to drink a brown potion? it just seems so very depressing doesnt it?"

And so this would continue the small figure talking more rapidly than a dwarf chugging down an ale.

"I think blue is -much- more agreeable, dont you? Of course you do! You have so very much blue after all. Is it because of your name? I bet it is! Sapphire.....Saaaaapphiiiiiire" he would begin practicing and dragging the word out bit by bit. It may seem as though he were trying to pull it apart like some chemical equation as if by doing so he would pull apart his friends life story. "Sa-pphi-re...Sapph-ire...Hmm did you know Ire was in you name? You dont seem very irritable. Although you seem a bit tense right now what with the sword drawn and the shield out, and your cape billowing dramatically in the air!"

Upon finally noticing Sapphire's nature the guthrie would suddenly tense looking about in slight terror.

"Is something wrong? Are there creatures about? Are they going to eat me?!?!?!.... I-I warn you....whatever is out there.....I dont taste good! I taste of brown and black and every other nasty color out there!"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Dallid approaches through the snow.

"Nothing you need fear."

As he approaches, he looks pointedly at the Guthrie. "However, you will be required to clean up your leavings in the Inn - likely with mundane water, soap, and spounge, rather than by attempting some new alchemical concoction to turn the colorings clear. The last thing the Inn needs is invisible walls. Some goings-on simply should not be made public."

He then turns to Sapphire. "You are on your way to see Abbadon, I presume? He's been sending many messages, it seems. Well to shake things up a bit, I have one for him. Shall we travel together, then?"
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

"calm yourself!" :sapphire ordered to the little man, then continued as he sheathed his sword:
" i would have it that you NOT practice your alchemical skills while we are in strange lands, seeing how that was how we were forced to leave the inn at the last town so....expeditiously."

:looking to face dallid:

"there is very little in this world i fear, and you are?"
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Abyss
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Abyss »

The tiny guthrie had momentarily pulled the hat down over his eyes in some vein belief that if he could not see them then perhaps just maybe the vicious and wild creatures, that were obviously about do to Sapphires actions, could not see him.

At the sound of the voice the tiny creature would leap roughly half its height before running away in a jing jangling maelstrom of shaking bells. The diminutive creature leaping behind Sapphire's billowing cape before raising it about himself. Looking out from under the cloak quietly towards that which had spoke.

Only his eyes, the tp of his nose, and the permanently pointing bell that rested atop the curled tip of his hat stuck out ever so slightly. The moment was filled by the shivering of sad bell giving a dull ring as he blinked looking towards Dallid then up towards Sapphire. "Is this one going to eatsed me?"

At the mention of cleaning and the denouncing of his ability to use alchemy to do so he would pause turning to face Dallid once more. "Y-You assume it was me too?" The voice came out meek and sad, like a small puppy that had been kicked a few times yet continued to come back whining. "W-Why does everyone always blame m-me...." his voice seemed to gradually get softer somehow, occasionally broke with a few sniffles here and there. His tiny blue eyes watering a bit as he seemed to shrink even further his entire form slumping a bit in defeat.

"I always make helpful potions...things to try and cheer people up, and saveded them from monsters..." he would look up slowly almost pleadingly as tears traced his cheeks "D-Doesnt anybody want Ducken around? Doesnt he help-ed people?...." Turning he would begin walking slowly away from the pair towards the woods (nevermind the fact he was still wrapped in the cape). The small bells playing a sad song in the air as he shuffled slowly.
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire watched as the dejected Guthrie made his speech about how unappreciated he was, it was truly a pathetic sight to behold. sapphire lifted his arm and began to unravel his cloak from his tiny associate. after he had finished he put a hand on his shoulder. trying to console him, however anybody watching could see that sapphire was not at all used to being empathetic:

"now..Ducken, i did not say that your work was not appreciated, i merely....suggested, that you handle your potion making and alchemical dealings with more discretion, seeing that we are new to this kingdom.

:still speaking to Ducken but sapphire was now looking at Dallid:

"i'm sure her majesty would be able to find some use for your talents"

:there was an emphasis on the words "her majesty" and "some" as sapphire spoke:
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Abyss
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Abyss »

As Sapphire began to unravel the cloak the small guthrie would spin in time with its movements, looking vaguely like a top, the bells ringing out once more as he stumbled this way and that clearly just a tiny bit dizzy after such an ordeal.

Stopping he would put his arms out for balance as the bells and bottles that hung from his jacket gave a final great shift. His small form turning to once more stare up at his companion. Tears still running lightly down his cheeks although that had begun to slow considerably. The guthrie taking hold of the kind words and running with them. His naive nature grabbing hold of his sadness before lifting and punting it directly out of his mind.

Sniffling he would keep hold of the end of the cape using it to dab lightly at his eyes. "R-Really?...." his tiny voice shook, though whether from the fading sadness or the bubbling excitement that a 'Majesty' might have use for his work would be impossible to tell.

"Y-You really think she might l-like my work?" Lifting the cape end he would dab his eyes a final time before blowing his nose into it which came out as a tiny squeak. "Then I had best report immediately! She might be worried that her lead alchemist has gone missing!" And with that he would bound off towards the inn in a flurry of makeshift music, music only capable of being created by the sound of fragile glass bottles and bells clicking together. He must to try and determine where his employer had gone.

After all she might be in all sorts of trouble without his expert nature about!
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

sapphire was at a loss for words, his small companion had not only taken the slight insinuation he had made and ran with it, but grabbed it by the unmentionables, dragged it to the highest cliff in the creation of phanterra and proceeded to do a swan dive.

"eh....ah...i..........oh dear...." :sapphire breathed in and then lifted his arm again to inspect the remnants of ducken's tears and nasal evacuations before he threw his hand back causing the cloak to swirl back behind his shoulder:

:turning to back to dallid:

" if we are going to be traveling together, then i believe introductions are in order.

My name is Sapphire. Sapphire StormStrider."
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Abyss
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Abyss »

As the tiny figure disappeared into the distance all seemed to be calm. The bells jingling gradually fading away into nothingness. All that would remain was the sound of the two speaking to one another and the cool wind. All would be silent...

And then...

!!!BOOM!!!

From somewhere up the path another faint explosion would go off echoing back over the whistling wind. The same wind that carried with it a sound that would eliminate all doubt as to whom or what might have been the cause of such a noise...The sound was a soft drawn out "Oooooooh deeear..." that hung momentarily before fading with the wind as it was carried on as though even the sound had grown bored with the area and moved forward with its exciting life...

And then the jingling would resume for a moment or two before all was calm once more.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Dallid listens for a moment for cries of pain or alarm. On hearing nothing other than the jingle of the Guthrie's continued trek back to the Inn, he extends a hand toward Sapphire.

"I am Dallid. Well met. You know your way to Abbadon, I presume?"
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire nodded at dallid and grasped his hand in a firm handshake.:

"well met and yes, this abaddon has enclosed directions in the note he sent, i understand you have a message for him as well, i also understand that many of the townsfolk are unnerved by his presence here. Should this be a concern?"

:sapphire also listened a few seconds after the boom, but then continued after all he heard was jingles and sighed:

"The...eccentric, Guthrie gentleman is Ducken, by the way."
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Very much a concern. Many fear Abbadon, and for good reason. But he wishes to live and work amongst the people of Haven, so it is up to him to quell their suspicions – or not.”

“Come, then. Let us go speak with Abbadon, and you can form your own opinion of him.”
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

There is a path cut from the road, though the pine trees that is only six or seven feet on either side. The snow has covered the stumps, but the smell of freshly cut pine remains. The cabin is a small affair set atop a slight hill with a cold mountain stream on the right hand side to the north. The stream is cold and clean. Thick smoke from green wood and pickings billows out of the small chimney at the top of the roof.
A wooden porch holds up a mountain of snow, and set into the wood is a black door so dark it gives off no light. It almost looks like a cloak of night build right in the wood. Small thick glass windows, distorted enough that one can not peer in effectively dot the outside of the house. The smell of cooking meat and baking bread over powers the stench of green wood.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire watched as he saw the small cabin come into view:

" well then, i shall make sure to be cautious around him. tell me dallid, why is it that the people fear him so?"

:sapphire asked as they neared the small cabin:
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Fortunately we are here, as Abbadon could answer such questions best. Rest assured, he will be civil and respectful to you if you are civil and respectful to him - a trait rarer in people than you might think."

They reach the cabin and knock on the door.