A Score to Settle

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

A Score to Settle

Post by Salvatore_Tenhammers »

A blast of chill wind whips through the door of the Inn, as Salvatore Tenhammers storms in, his face filled with held back rage. His once glorious beard is nothing more than matted clumps, withered and falling out. As he stands in the open door, he scans the room as if looking for someone.

His voice bellowed, filling the room.

"Where is the Silvani that calls himself Chance and his lapdog Guthrie, Morgan? I will have my beard or I will have a hand, and may hap that cursed Silvani's head."

By now everyone is able to notice that he is no longer dressed in the merchant clothes he is normally seen in, but is instead covered in thick, heavy shirt of Dwarven chain. A double-bladed axe is strapped to his back, the blade so sharp it gleams in the light provided by the inn's hearth.

"I will have them before me or there will be consequence."
If you want it we got it. If we don't got it, we'll get it.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Batten down the hatches...

Post by Torakhan »

Quen heard the commotion and poked his head out of the workshop. He saw the Dwarf ready for action, took a sigh and headed back. His walking stick clompped against the stone floor as he disappeared within the workshop and closed the door behind himself.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*The sound of Steamy chugging along can be heard in the distance, and soon Korrigan and his wagon pull behind the Inn.*
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

~: With so little to do Legion had taken to sitting in various places, and today had been one of those "I think I'll sit in the Inn" days. What a coincidence he was here when a Dwarf was going absolutely batshit insane throwing open the door and shouting about like he owned the place. But thats what Dwarves do, right? They huff and puff and threaten to blow your house down, then just dig-a-hole-dig-a-hole-dig-a-hole, get drunk and pass out? Well...thats what Legion THOUGHT Dwarves did. This one was beside the norm. :~

~: He sat with ivory arms spread across the bartop, back leaned against it as Mr. Tenhammers raged about, oh by the stars, Chance. This was...no surprise to Legion, who could do nothing but chuckle at the fact that another person seemed to want words with his friendly nemesis. So forgive him when he simply chuckled at the Dwarf's antics, the obsidian visage on his face cracking its maw with each burst of laughter. :~

~: He leaned off the bar, forearms on his knees as his dichromatic eyes went from armor to axe, back to armor, finally found the Dwarf's face amongst the hair. Was he drunk or sober? It shouldn't be difficult to tell at this distance. He spoke, his mask clicking its fangs together as each word left him. :~

"You won't find either of them in town. Off with a caravan, not to return for some time."

~: Was he taking pleasure in delivering this poor news? Well by the stars he was. He couldn't wait to see just where this was going, but to be on the utmost safe side he did bring his left elbow back, enough to touch the twin hilts of his ninjato sheathed on his hip. Ok. He'd remembered his weapons. If Tenhammers started swinging this might not be so bad. :~
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan walks in the front door, his clothes still dusty from the road. Clearly unaware of what has just transpired, he walks in and looks to Quen.*

"Damn Quen, it's worse over there than I thought. Right and proper screwed, they are. Right and Proper."

*Walking over to the bar, Korrigan begins pouring himself an ale. As he does so, he acknowledges the others in the room.*

"Hullo Legion, Salvatore. Can I get you something?"
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

Garritt shared the same dubious honor as Danimoth. He downright liked this bar, and was working on a building a good back-and-forth with Barry and Quen.

He was in the middle of taking a draught when Salvatore burst in. Old reflexes made him put his free hand to his chest and the dagger sheathed there, but after seeing a known face, he relaxed a bit- though habit from long nights in Avenguard kept him wary.

"The name is Salvatore, right?"

He looked sharply askance at Danimoth's laugh, and then back to Salvatore.

"Looks like you mean to do some Dwarven business. Have you been cursed- or something else?"
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Salvatore looks around the room, stalking from corner to corner, even going so far to lift the chairs and look underneath as if someone could hide in such a spot. He finally comes to halt in the center of the room and rubs his beard, obviously an age old habit, but this time a clump of his snowy beard comes away in his fingers.

At first he does not notice, but after a moment the realization hits and his anger once again returns in full. With rage-filled eyes he throws the clump of hair to the ground and re-grasps his axe, his knuckles white with fury.

"Curse you ask," yelled Salvatore, spittle flying from his mouth. "One o'those damnable Silvani placed a curse on me and Chance and his mongrel, did claim they would have it removed. I payed his price and still it hasn't been removed."

As his eyes glare about the room, everyone present can see a revelation come across his face.

"Mayhap, it be time to bring back something from the past. It's been a long while since the Mage Slayers have been seen. Perhaps it's time to be asking the Queen to re-instate the practice."
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire emerged from a hallway, stowing a pipe into his belt pouch. the valkyn vi man just listened as Salvatore went on his tirade. upon hearing him mention mage slayers his brow raised:

"i fear the queen shall not be so receptive to such a request master dwarf, reason being that one of her lord marshal's is a mage himself, she relies heavily upon them for decisions concerning the town."

:sapphire walks over toward a table and sits down crossing his legs:

"and do not be misinformed master dwarf, the ways of the mage slayer have not been forgotten"
elgoain Onyx.

for i'm a rover, seldom sober
i'm a rover of high degree!
when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
how to gain my love's company.
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice had been sitting daintily in the corner of the Inn, the skirt of her thick green dress fanned around her legs as she patched a hole in her Spring skirt. Her soft humming was interrupted quite abruptly when a very angry dwarf came raging into the Inn looking for Chance. Thankfully, he'd already gone on Caravan and Legion was kind enough to convey this to the dwarf.

She looked nervously from each person who spoke back to the dwarf, hoping that there would be a way to soothe his anger. She didn't want a fight. She tried to mind her own business, stay quiet, hoping that he would settle down and have an ale or something stronger to calm his nerves. Instead, he spoke of something called a Mage Slayer, and Alice's eyes widened. Her sister knew the Way of the Mage, being far more gifted in magic than she. When the pensive acquaintance Sapphire began to comment on the dwarf's crude remark, assuring the brute that there was no way the Queen would allow their return to the Kingdom, Alice's tiny voice spoke up.

"Excuse me...what are Mage Slayers? They sound...fearsome."
"Pity the selfish, for they do not know charity...pity the cruel, for they do not know kindness...and pity the heartless, for they do not know love." ~ Alice
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

:sapphire shifts in his seat to face Alice:

"in capable hands, magic is a powerful, benevolent force to bring peace and prosperity. With it, forces even such as death are reversible. However, in untrained or malevolent hands magic is an unstoppable and malignant terror that if left unchecked can spread ruin across the face of phanterra. to make sure that doesn't happen, enter in the mage slayers or as i have heard them called here "witch hunters", am i mistaken?

:sapphire quick turns his head over towards korrigan as if to confirm himself before he continues.:

"mage slayers are trained to sense, dispel and resist any and all magical effects, thus making them a formidable force against any that would use the powers of magic for ill or evil purpose."
elgoain Onyx.

for i'm a rover, seldom sober
i'm a rover of high degree!
when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
how to gain my love's company.
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice silently breathed a sigh of relief...in fact, this news gave her a flicker of hope for her own personal reasons...

"Oh, so they are indeed good..." she said politely. "...when they use their powers for the benefit of providing safety to others, that is. Thank you for helping me to understand, Sapphire." She began watching the scene silently again, threading her needle through her garment every now and then so it looked like she was at least somewhat relaxed in this potentially explosive situation.
"Pity the selfish, for they do not know charity...pity the cruel, for they do not know kindness...and pity the heartless, for they do not know love." ~ Alice
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

the ringing of steel

Post by Torakhan »

After a few moments the sounds of bellows and the repeating assault of hammer on steel rings from the back room through the heavy wooden door to the workshop in the back of the Inn.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan, having head Salvatore's second outburst and seeing his beard, shakes his head in disbelief.*

"Son of a bitch... you... you just don't... do that... especially not to a DWARF! What kind of petty, cowardly shit is that? You can rob a dwarf, stab him if you like, kill him if you mean it, but for fuck's sake don't piss in his last ale or mess with his beard! Who the hell has met a dwarf and doesn't know that?"

*Korrigan puts a couple of bottles into his pack and walks out from behind the bar.*

"Damn Salvatore, you've been dealt a bad hand. Best I can see it, you've either gotta find who cursed you and gut them or track down Chance and see why he couldn't make good on his promise. Since we can't get to Chance till the caravans come back, I figure we either try to figure out who cursed you or stay drunk till Chance rolls up. I'm in either way, so what's it gonna be?"
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Salvatore looked to Korrigan, his eyes glancing quickly at the bottles.

"I be knowing who did this, some no-good, sticky-fingered, dishonorable, beardless Silvani. Tried to graft me on a deal. Had the audacity to say the Tenhammers was cheats."

Salvatore's hand once more drifts near his beard, as if to stroke it, but stops short and a look of anger once again flashes across his face.

"Calls me family a bunch of cheats. So i put me fist square into his face. Knocked out a tooth on the smug bastard, liked to broke his nose as well. Next thing I know I'm loosing me beard.

As he talks Salvatore seems to relax just a tad bit. He walks over to the bar and looks expectantly at Korrigan.

"I was gonna take care of things meself, but I let myself get talked into letting Chance handle things. Of course, it was gonna cost. I'm now thinking that this might be all part o'the scam they done worked out. Chance and his, puppy, Morgan were supposed to be finding this Caravan and setting things right."

"Now some of you claim the two o'them be with this caravan. If that be the truth, my beard should be getting fixed. If they ain't or take to much longer, the joke will be on them. Morgan's gonna forget how to clap."

"It still doesn't change the fact that the Silvani round these parts are acting without sanction and they keep using their Gift on me and my kinfolk. Likes to be such a problem will cause some 'consequences'."
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

Garritt gets up and goes to the bar to stand alongside Korrigan and Salvatore.

"Well, things aren't quite as bad as we expected at least. We don't really know Chance from a hole in the wall, so we really can't judge him, but at first I thought you were going to say that Chance himself placed the curse on you.

....And then he'd be right screwed. Doing anything bad to a Dwarf's beard is like calling a woman fat- it just "isn't done" unless you really like trouble.."

(he shrugs)

"Maybe they just haven't been successful yet. Sylvani can be pretty damn long-winded in their negotiations, at least the ones we had dealings with in Avenguard. When they get back- and if nothing happens- don't expect me to be in the way of a Dwarf with a grudge."

(he chuckles darkly)