september 17 event feedback

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Well Let me see....

I had alot of fun for this event, I had nothing but good times, and damned if I wasnt busy the whole damn time!

I really enjoyed the Plot Lite feel to it, although Talking with Dan on the way home I do agree we feel that we really didnt see much through... I did however finish one plot and that felt really good to get the man in the hospital reunited with his family.

I really enjoyed the feast, and by far this was the best food we have ever had! Special thanks to all those involved in making this such a great yearly thing! The games and ball were fun, and wasn't missing that accuracy contest for the life of me...

I had a bunch of times where I had so much to do, I simply asked for a group to go out and help finish a laundry list of things!

There was a lot of GREAT RP'n, and I thank all that I was able to interact with, special shout outs to of course my partner in crime Gabrial, along with Val. CJ you were right about Serith and Garrett getting along well, we do seem to have a VERY similar outlook on things, and while Id miss Rhul, I think id rather you play Garrett personally....

And lastly I love your new Character Chance, nate, he was an absoutle blast to play with.

The young bloods very fun, and happy you always seem to impress me!

And yes I LOVED raining death from the balcony....only downside is I split like 8 of my packets....luckily i have over a 100 left (c:

The Bad stuff:

The only real issue I had was something I know all to well and that was the wait times at NPC camp, as being a GM I know the difficulty at having 1000 different questions/plots coming at you, but it did seem to be a lil bit excessive at times for wait times, I have no problems waiting, and know that there are far too few gm/npcs compared to players, but just some of the waits were bordering on the too long aspect. Not a real big issue, just something that needed to be addressed...

And last but not least.........

Atreus.......Im watching you like a hawk now! (c:<
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

First of all, many many thanks to anyone who was working or in charge of the kitchen this weekend. The food was absolutely amazing the entire weekend, and the feast was one of the best that I can remember.

Just to be different I'll start with the negative stuff first and end with all the good stuff:

- Being in the middle of the woods on a plot when the torrential downpour decided to happen
- Not being able to participate in any of the games that I might have a chance at winning because I was too busy
- Being ordered to stay and enjoy myself at the Ball when there was so much that still needed to be done (grumble grumble grumble :D )
- PC's plot-jacking for what felt like the entire weekend
- A few plots where GM miscommunication had me confused
- Hearing that the orcs were only offered a 3 gold reward for my head
- The mess down at the inn after almost everyone else had left and hearing that Jessy found a cigarette butt in the loft down there

And finally, the epic awesomeness that made this event for me:

- Not being able to participate in most of the games because I was too busy on plots
- The amount of Valkin'Vi plots throughout the weekend
- Actually being able to use read/write more than once this weekend
- Esmerelda's lessons in etiquette Friday night (Legion's double-whammy for the win!)
- RP'ing with Sunny, Legion, Esmerelda, Brecca, Theon, JerBear and anyone else I forgot to mention
- Hearing Legion become the voice of reason on Friday night
- My new eyes
- How expedient the GM's seemed to be the entire weekend (or at least whenever I was down there)
- That Seer visions were actually useful this weekend, instead of when it seemed that they were just sentences of completely random words
- The coronation, feast and ball

I know I'm missing a lot more, but I'll post that stuff when I remember it. It was nice to see a bunch of new faces, and watching newish characters progress and develop. All in all it was probably one of the best events that I've been to this year, even with all the PC shenanigans. Can't wait for the next one!
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Pretty good event! Now, like pretty much everyone else, I go to LARPs to play a hero (or occasionally a villain), and, for me, this event delivered in spades.

As Paer’An said, the Visions were done well – they served as plot hooks and allowed Seers to act as the fonts of knowledge they should be as they presented actionable information to the other PCs. This helped me feel useful and effective right out of the gate.

There wasn’t much combat – which feels ‘right’ in this time after Sil’van’dar’s defeat, as Haven is experiencing a time of peace. But the combat that did occur was varied, exciting, and well presented. As with the last event, I always knew what I was fighting – key for immersion and fun. But the variety of situations encountered was such that I think I actually used EVERY skill I have during this event! Little can contribute more to a feeling of heroism than truly being all you can be.

There was certainly a lot to do, and as far as I know, there still some things left to tackle on-line. Will be starting on that shortly!

Of course, big thanks to all the people who helped with the food and putting on the Corrination, Games and the Ball. Dallid did not return to this plane to party, but he does like to see people happy (and Doug had fun and loved all the delicious food). As to the subject of game balance, I’d say the drinking game was the only one that favored more experienced players (and warriors) as those with more life points held the advantage. But that was very appropriate to base it on constitution. The other games were entirely free of anything on a character sheet, and were greatly varied with mental challenges such as puzzle solving and story-telling along with the physical challenges of melee combat and ranged target competitions.

The Big After-Dinner Assault of Swords and Shields (BAD ASS) was fantastic chaotic fun, too.

The PCs were working together at a near unprecedented level with the sharing of information and cooperation on getting things done. Paer’An was a plot-eating machine that kept both the PCs and the event in general moving forward. Sereph and a number of others also showed an inspiring level of proactiveness that really fortified Dallid’s faith in Haven.

Only the wait times prevented this event from achieving the rating of Awesome-sauce that it deserved, but the GMs know clearly what went wrong there and we can trust next time to be much better. :)

And a big, obnoxious, hateful WTF to those who trashed the Inn and didn’t clean up after themselves. Please take note that you are despised, and look up the meanings of ‘responsibility’ and ‘consideration’ as you obviously do not know them.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Paen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Paen »

Esmerelda wrote:
Paen wrote:
Esmerelda wrote: A big call out to the Spring Haven crew who were my willing serving staff at the feast!
Whaaaaatttt?! I was helping the queen that whole time? :O
Yup. Who else would be hiring people to serve at the feast? :wink:

And shame on you for not knowing the queen by sight. :P
Yeah, names were a bit hard for me, since I had to learn so many. But you and Fiona were hard to tell apart for me for some reason, especially since you both pretty much ran things. I feel like I got carried away and portrayed Paen in a way that he ought not be portrayed. You see, he is actually very heroic. I'll have to ask in-game if I can do things to redeem my honor for the queen. But that will have to be a couple events away, since I want to NPC the next one if I don't have the money to go as my PC.
Gabrial
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gabrial »

Well now that I have been home and had a chance to really process the event, I think it went good. I had lots of fun doing alot of different things. I do however feel that I missed out on seeing things finished, but I think it's because I was trying to do to much.

The Good :

The food at the feast, best yet!!
The games were very fun and neatly thought out, just wish I had more time to do more of them. But I do wish Gabrial got a better chance to show his fighting skills, making him use a weapon, poor guy had no idea what to do. :)
The use of read/write skills!!!!! Not only that but a new solid 100% usable language on paper! Very, very awesome. I can't wait to see the others!
The after dinner battle royal!! I loved that everyone just started acting like it was recess. Tons of fun!
Chance, I really did not like him at first, but after hanging out with him more and more he just grew on me. Very good job Nate.
The Springhaven crew. You guys have grown so much and I LOVE having you around. Major kuddos.
Troy, Keeping everyone in the loop was very awesome of you. Even if I had no idea what was happening you would show up with all these notes and just fill me in. Extreamly cool of you!

The Bad :

Well I only have one thing to put on here and we have all talked about it.

Slow wait times for NPC/GM

BUT, I totaly understand why it happened and it in no way made the event any less fun for me.

The Absolutly Unacceptable :

The GM's and others having to clean up after you. I mean come on people. After everything that happens FOR YOU over the course of the whole event you could do a little in return. I mean really, The GM/NPC staff provides you with hours of entertainment, the WONDERFUL kitchen crew go out of there way to feed AND clean up after you, and you can't even take 5 minutes to do something.... I have to say I'm pretty mad about that.

Well on that note I can't wait till next event. Hope to see everyone there!
Sometimes you need to see the world in a different way...
Tragget
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Tragget »

Good:

-my first event: Yay!
-Had a BLAST!
-Stark and his patience with my character-- He's supposed to be a bit more scatterbrained, but the riddles you gave me really helped with character development.
-Jared, Ark, Christen, Gin, Esmerelda, Shea, and many more.... Knowing people really helped me start off.
-Raina-- My best friend ('cause she gave me fish :P) She was awesome to RP with.
-Esmerelda and Phiona- the ball and all the work you put into it was AMAZING! I had no idea that it would be on such a large scale, and the presentation was spectacular! Thanks for all your hard work!
-Shout out to anyone who was the subject of all my sage-hints, and seemingly obnoxious rule questions. Thanks!
-Dingbats. Who doesn't love Jared.
-Recess at the Insane Asylum. I pushed Blaise around in a wheelchair while throwing magic and impaling others: It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Bad:

-Starks Riddles: They had me scratching my brain on some of them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
-PCs: Yall need to allow some of us newbies to come along on your quests. We gotta start somewhere, and acceptance into a group is a great way to build relationships and RP.
-Raina, she got banished, wich made me sad. :(
-GM response time. I don't know how it normally works, but it seemed a bit slow, even for me.
-My fighting. As a sage I can't do much on the field, and nearly died three times. Thanks Dallid!
-Sagely boringness. In SH I even end up fighting as my sage, butat FH I found myself being nearly useless, as it seems that a surplus of seers was in order. That was a major slap to the face. I think I may go Wizard next event, and learn some sage skills on the side.
-I found myself sneaking around and listening in on other people's plots and trying to help when nobody wanted me. This was ok since I gained much info, but left me lacking in Keysol's normal reckless RP. "Keysol, I like this you've been way more . . . chill here." -Kristen

Overall it was an awesome event, and I somehow ended up whith more money than Araris. :D Ha. Not bad for a first event.

I look forward to coming back. Also, if anyone could give me any feedback on how I did, it would be greatly appreciated. And don't spare the gruesome parts: I want to improve my game. :)
I am Phil R.

(Keysol)

"If you don't know what it is, it's probably best to poke it with a really, really long stick; just to be sure." -Keysol
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

For those new, I would like to say that I feel real confident that those wait times were not even close to normal. It was a plot experiment that is real close to being something very good. We just need to make an adjustment. I think in general people were very happy with the scout hints and visions at game on (let me know if that is not true). Now we just need a small tweak to manage the flow of players. It's an easy fix that i think will lead to a better gaming experience.
CharlesK
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by CharlesK »

Dallid wrote:
As Paer’An said, the Visions were done well – they served as plot hooks and allowed Seers to act as the fonts of knowledge they should be as they presented actionable information to the other PCs. This helped me feel useful and effective right out of the gate.
I also fully agree; this was the first event since I've been a seer that I could put either of my visions to good use, let alone both of them. Both of them were relevant to a plot that was onoing throughout the event, and it made it much easier to get things done without having to rely on someone else. I hope that some (or all) of the Winterhaven GMs read this and perhaps consider giving visions that are more vivid and less vague.
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

I had a fun event, I didn't go on too much plot stuff but I really got a chance to RP and learn more about many of the characters this event.

Thank you NPC and GM staff for yet another fantastic event
ImageImageImage
Paen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Paen »

What is this mess in the Inn that everyone is talking about?
Everybody with your fists raised high,
Let me hear your battle cry!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

We expect buildings to be cleaned by those who stayed in them before everyone has left. The inn was not. Not even close. In fact, it took us almost 90 minutes to clean it up so that we could leave.
Paen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Paen »

That's horrible! I didn't even see a mess in the Inn, so they must have trashed it last minute. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I would certainly have helped had I known.
Arìen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Arìen »

Paen, we were staying in the Keep.
Last edited by Arìen on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paen
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Paen »

I realize that, and the keep was very clean when we left. Mrs. Baskin wanted to leave early. If we hadn't left, I would have helped in the Inn, where this mess was, if I am hearing correctly.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

I had a lot of fun at the event. I spent most of my time running the games but the stuff I did do was great. Big thanks to Mike for running the whole Slade plot. It was a lot of fun even though it didn't turn out the way we thought it would.

Food was great and I wanna give a big shout out to Melissa and Dani. They bust their butts to make the ball happen each year, more than we know. It was fun to dance and I didn't expect to win the story telling contest.

I also got to NPC for a little while and it was a blast. Fernando and Alejandro were totally on the fly and a lot of fun to play.

I was slept at the inn and left late Saturday so I will apologize behalf on of the people I took with me as well as myself. In the future I will try and do some cleaning before I leave early in the future. It won't happen again.