Seige Weapons

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Seige Weapons

Post by Nelkie »

Ok, I'm building a capult and wondering how it would work in game. I have a couple ideas and would like other peoples input.

The capult would be able to fire Grape shot and bolders at people or buildings.

Grape shot is a bunch of large rocks flung at an enemy. This will be repersented with spell packets. I suggest each rock/spell packet does 5 crush.

The bolder will be repersented with a beach ball wrapped in duck tape with foam protrusions. I suggest the bolder does 15 crush on impact and contuines to do 15 crush until it stops. This would repersent the bolder rolling over people.

What do people think?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

only you man...only you... :twisted:
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

and if I kick the boulder as it's rolling? :D
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Ug

Post by Nelkie »

It was a catpult or a gaint crossbow. I figured the catpult was safer. I have been wanting to build one for some time now, and now I'm doing it. Hey, we could load it with the Cows and launch at our enimies. Tatical cow nukes. :wink:
Whats next? gas lash trap with pull coard, catpult, I know a moving armored midevil tank with balistia's, crossbows, catpults, swinging swords, balls and chains, etc... :twisted:

Muu Haaa Haaa
My Thoughts

Aaron
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I'd down the damage - 1 or 2 (not crush - shields should deflect) for grapeshot, and 5 to 10 crush for the boulder. 5 Crush will kill peasants. 10 crush will kill most people without armor.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Nelkie

Post by Nelkie »

I disagree Dough

you can do 1 damage with a thrown rock which is about the size of a golf ball or slightly larger. The grape shot would be pop can size or larger stones being hurled at great velocity. Even if you block the stone with a shield you will still get hurt from the force of the impact. I could agree upon 3-5 crush.

The bolder damage is based on what it takes to destroy a shield. A shield should not be able to survive a blow from a large bolder and the same should be said about an unarmored person. But that just my popint of view.

Eric, just for you, if you kick the bolder you take the damage :twisted: Taking damage from the bouncing of the ball simulates a cannon ball effect found in the partriot. the bolder will go through more than 1 person.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

I could see grape shot at 1 crush and boulder at 5 crush.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think a boulder should do 30ish crush and the grapeshot should do 2 crush or maybe 10-15 standard damage so they can be blocked by a shield. If the damage is too low, then there is no point. IMHO If you are hit by a boulder thrown by a trebuchet, you should DIE!!

BTW: I have a lot of trebuchet links and some practical experience if you need a hand. If you want to see Me and Colin's Trebuchet, stop by. Its still in the backyard
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

Yeah, but it is also ALOT harder to load a boulder than it is a ball covered in duct tape ;-) There should be a decent count between reloads.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I agree. I think it should be about a 1 minute load time. That will do two things: First and foremost it will be safer. The person reloading will not try to hurry and end up dropping the counter weight on themselves or catching an arm in the torsion ropes. Second, it will be a more real simulation of load time. Now, for grape shot, I dont think there needs to be a load time.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Stuff

Post by Nelkie »

I agree with the load time. 1 minute for a bolder is what I ws thinking. And when I run out of Phisreps for my bolders, I'm out of bolders. The grape shot would be the same way. I do like the idea of grape shot doing straight damage 10-15 instead of 3-5 crush. With the catapult I could fire grap shot about every 10-15 secounds if there was 2 people working the catapult. 1 to load the arm, and the other to pull the arm back.
My design is simple but effective. It is a frame with an arm. The arm is attached to bunge cords, and the bunge cords are attached to the frame. You pull the arm down putting tension on the bunge cords and than you let losse. I will be testing it tonight and let you all know how it works. I'm designing it that a person must pull the arm down and let it go. This is for safety. A person will always be there when the catapult is being fired and we do not have to worry about anyone accidently being hit by the moving arm. I am thinking of safety first, than realizism secound.
My Thoughts

Aaron
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

One thing to be careful with is that the design may "buck" alot. The romans used the same type of design with torsion ropes instead of bungee cords. They called them "Mangonels", which is a type of donkey, because of their tendancy to kick.

BTW: I think my next project will be one of these: http://siege.atlantia.sca.org/engines/tiny/index.html very portable and mobile. I think it will toss a good amount of spell packets about 240 feet or so. You may want to take a gander at its design
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Those things are really cool Wayne. I got to play with a mini trebuchet about the size of a toaster, and it could fling a marble like 50ft. Very impressive.
Lost my train of thought.....
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

10 -15 damage? You really think rocks that size would break a shield?
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Don't worry FH folks. If Nelkie needs to be stopped, just say the word. I can have Kelly take all his tools and free time away. I know, I know, pretty brutal, but a small price to pay for our mutual sanity. :twisted:
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven