Focus item

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Baxtor Warren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Focus item

Post by Baxtor Warren »

i was wondering if you have a master focus item, is there a armor restriction because i do not see it in the description, also do you have to be a wizard or arcanist to use it, it states anyone may buy at game on or have crafted, and if it is only used for the throw magic and counter spell its pretty powerfull
Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

The way it was put to me is that in order to use an Advanced Focus, you have to be able to cast Advanced level spells/brew Advanced potions, and same for Master.

I have no idea about the armor restriction, but I would assume light or less.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

not sure about advanced, im not sure if you have to be advanced or master level Arcanist or wizard.

but i do know you have to be master level arcanist or wizard to use the master one, and as those paths/disciplines are restricted to light, i would asume they are as well.

-Ark
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

Ark wrote:but i do know you have to be master level arcanist or wizard to use the master one,
-Ark
Show me where in the rulebook or expansion it says I have to be a master arcane/wizard to use a master focus or that I have to be an advanced arcane/wizard to use an advanced focus.

If it's not in the rule update section or rulebook, it's a field call. As such it only lasts until of that event.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Francesco DeLemuerte wrote:Show me where in the rulebook or expansion it says I have to be a master arcane/wizard to use a master focus or that I have to be an advanced arcane/wizard to use an advanced focus.

If it's not in the rule update section or rulebook, it's a field call. As such it only lasts until of that event.
no, because its probobly not worded there, no matter how the item was intended. but never the less thats how it is. i really have no intention of discussing rules anymore, i find im very busy these days, and have removed myself to a "play the game at the game and help the new people" state of mind.

if you would like to play it how you know it is not intended, get pulled aside by a GM and explained to by them how you knew what was meant but cheezed it anyway because its not written, fine, im sure they will be more than happy to warn and correct you. trust me i know :lol:

i however, am going to explain the correct way to use them to the best of my abilities to anyone that asks, this keeps them from getting pulled aside by a GM, and helps them to understand the correct rules. :wink:

but you can do whatever you want :roll:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Ark wrote:no, because its probobly not worded there, no matter how the item was intended. but never the less thats how it is..
Let me just say that while I AGREE that people shouldn't cheese, our definition of cheesing may vary wildly. I am against the usage of a "spirit of the rules" mindset. If something is INTENDED to be a certain way, then it needs to be in the rulebook that way, so that it is CLEARLY DEFINED FOR EVERYONE. Yes, accidents make it/don't make it into the rulebook, it happens. If there is a break in the rulebook, then that's something that needs to be gone over at game-on by the GMs until it can be fixed and/or an errata sheet provided at game on for people who miss the meeting. :)
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

What Kiel said.

There are more than a few things that need a full bevy of corrections, we knew this going into this season, and will do so according.

I have been burned by field calls in the past, so I dislike them. Anything not in the rule book or the errata forum, is indeed a field call.

any and all rule issues need to be addressed. We are working to get them corrected.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i am sorry if that post seemed angry, everyone knows the rules are not all done and written and being changed, and should not abuse it. i just hate the reasoning of "it does not say i cant" that really iritates me personally, its a little kids response and poeple always know better, at least i hope they do :roll:
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Ark wrote: i just hate the reasoning of "it does not say i cant" that really iritates me personally, its a little kids response and poeple always know better, at least i hope they do :roll:
You'd think.

But we've learned over the years that this is NOT the case. And there has been a awful lot of forgiveness by the gamestaff of both games for people who ARE outright cheaters (I could list examples, but it's really not necessary), whereas someone following the written rules is not cheating.

There seems to be this mindset I see when dealing with rulebreaks where everyone MUST be psychic and therefor if the rules aren't being followed based on some invisible code, they are cheaters or immature. Unless the player made an effort to conceal the rulebreak, it's not a "little kid's response," it's what the rules say, legitimately.

It's just better to clarify and correct. It may not be EASIER, but it fairer for everyone.
Pugo Redfang
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Pugo Redfang »

Ahem Heidi, sing it sister sing it.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

can a wizard buy two focus items?

why would you do that?

counterspell. for three mystic.
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

or multiple labs to make more potions?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Can a Wizard buy two Focus Items? - That is something we will have to address definetly.

Can you buy Multiple Alchemy Labs? - Yes

Does having Mulitiple Labs let you make more potions? - No

A Character is limited to being able to make a maximum of

4 Basic Potions
3 Advanced Potions
2 Master potions

During an event with the aid of an appropiate level Alchemy Lab. I hope to get this more clearly written during the off season as well as the Focus Items more clearly defined.

This year has brought many things to our attention and with the help of all the players questions we hope to be able to give you that much better a game as the years go on.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Aidan_Mcpryde wrote:Can a Wizard buy two Focus Items? - That is something we will have to address definetly.

Can you buy Multiple Alchemy Labs? - Yes

Does having Mulitiple Labs let you make more potions? - No

4 Basic Potions
3 Advanced Potions
2 Master potions

During an event with the aid of an appropiate level Alchemy Lab. I hope to get this more clearly written during the off season as well as the Focus Items more clearly defined.

This year has brought many things to our attention and with the help of all the players questions we hope to be able to give you that much better a game as the years go on.
Erm..

when it's rewritten, keep in mind that the book states that you CAN buy wizard (as a discipline) more than once..

Also, as we all know, there is a wizard path and discipline. If someone took full path wizard, 1st discipline full wizard, as well as sinking the rest of their points into wizard as their 2nd and 3rd disciplines, I would assume that the above would NOT be the max.

erm.. I can't find that now... but I swear it did earlier.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

4 Basic Potions
3 Advanced Potions
2 Master potions

These are the Maximum potions a player may "brew' with Alchemy Labs during an event - not their maximum potions that they may bring into game.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!