Racial Disciplines

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Racial Disciplines

Post by Dallid »

FH has leveled the playing field, as far as mechanics go, between human and non-human characters for the most part. True, non-humans have extra costuming requirments, but that's compensated for by the extra life point they get if the players meet those requirements.

However, non-humans ALSO get their own racial disciplines. While a minor advantage, it's still an advantage. To *really* level the playing field, there should be a human discipline.

Maybe something that displays human versitility - like one physical skill, one mental skill, one support skill and one... crazy skill - maybe something like this:

Not Like This, Dammit - Humans are a prideful bunch, convinced they're better than anyone else. Should one be reduced to negatives by a non-human opponent, the human will immediately gain 10 life as he desprately attempts to ward off the shame of being killed by an inferior being. Should the human defeat or drive off the non-human, he immediately loses 10 life.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I love this skill. We'll have to playtest it as NPCs this year!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

sounds like an elf skill actually :lol:

but i agree doug
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

it sounds like a great idea!! i heartily approve!!!
elgoain Onyx.

for i'm a rover, seldom sober
i'm a rover of high degree!
when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
how to gain my love's company.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I agree there should be a human only discipline, maybe peasant hero?
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

*Points at above post*

i like that idea, seems to fit pretty well, i will throw my vote towards peasent hero being the human discipline
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

When we discussed this before, I mentioned the possibility of humans being able to pick any one discipline of any lifestyle as their racial discipline.

It's not hugely unbalancing (At least not with this year's changes) and displays human adaptability.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Why should humans have their own discipline?

From a world perspecitve it is easier to be human.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

While the case does seem to be that the town of Haven is populated mostly by humans, I've honestly never noticed an RP advantage to being human.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Oh you have one!
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Only when dealing with other humans, it's a negative with most other races and you usually have to either prove yourself to them or be brought to them by someone they trust.

I thought from the beginning it was bullocks to give a mechanical advantage to "costumed" races only. Do I get a mechanical bonus if I decide my human has a long beard or strange colored eyes? I assume that answer would be no. Peasant Hero seems like it was designed around humans and not the other races any way. One Ga'Vin tribe doesn't care if you're big man on campus in another Ga'Vin tribe.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Erik if a player did that i would probably give them the lp
Chris
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

I don't think that's a good idea to allow a extra LP for additional costuming for humans. Let the other races have their little advantage. It's easy to see if someone is physrepping their race but a little more difficult to decide whether someone who is playing human has gone above and beyond with costuming.
Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

Nonhumans already get a mechanical advantage. They gain access to an additional life point, as well as access to Disciplines that each have at least one unique power to them that no one else has access to.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i have thought about this for some time, and whilst out boating today i went swimming, then i had a moment of clarity about the game....

almost everyone is obsessed about death, the death of there character, how much soak they can get, the most damage they can do, dont want to show what skills there useing so people dont know what they are, etc. im the same way.

i dont belive there should be a mechanical or in game advantage to what race you are, people should not play a specific race because its stronger, they should play it because they want to, example

trusk, plays an Orc, has the face paint, the character attitude, etc. he does not play one for the mechanical advantage, he plays one because he want too.

if you give something an advantage people will play that race, phys rep it "bad", not act like the race, so on, just to get a life point and some skills.

i play a human, why? is it because of their awsome life :roll: their badass discipline :roll: no, its because the race fits my character, and i cant phys rep another race well, so i wont try.

this is a game of hero's, play what you want to play because you want to, and nothing else.