Trap Questions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Trap Questions

Post by Nelkie »

What is maxium depth a pit trap can be? I'm saying 30ft. How does that sound to everyone else?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

30 feet sounds reasonable to me. I mean, you have to get back out of it when you're making it, so it can't be TOO deep... And much deeper and the sides start to become unstable, in my opinion.
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

Hey now I am the traps marshal!

Im saying 30 feet

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Are you The Rogue Marshal or a rogue Marshall :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Cool

Post by Nelkie »

Thank you for the info. How long does it take to get out of a 30 foot pit trap??? Are there any rules governing how long it takes a person to free themselves from a pit trap? Can you attack someone trying to leave a pit trap? Here is my idea

With help or with proper equipment
Proper equipment is a ladder, rope, etc
5 foot - no time
10 foot - 5 count
20 foot - 10 count
30 foot - 15 count

With out help or with out the proper equipment
5 foot - no time
10 foot - 10 count
20 foot - 20 count
30 foot - 30 count

Note: while your doing your count you can be attack and can not defend youself. Just simply take the damage.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

It'd probably be hard to determine what to do regarding attacking someone in a pit. To be realistic, I'd probably offer no melee weapons (except maybe a polearm) can be used to attack a person climbing out of a pit. You're just not going to have the reach to hit someone until they're almost out.

Then you have to take into consideration the fact that someone who has just fallen into a pit, got damaged, and is now trying to climb out of the pit probably isn't going to be able to maintain the climb under the stress of an attack of some sort. The climber will inevitably fall again and take more damage wont they?

And if someone has "the proper equipment," can an attacker opt to cut that rope, or push that ladder over. Or if someone is being helped, can an attacker attack the helper, causing the helper to either drop their helpee or be able to take no action until the helpee is out of the pit? and can a helper actually help a person climbing out of a pit deeper than 10 foot if that helper doesn't have any equipment of his or her own?
Last edited by Bob-Z (kabre) on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moo.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

It'd seem more realistic to me to make the count equal to the depth of the pit, if you have help. If you're without help, the count, in minutes, is equal to the depth of the pit (except for a 5 foot pit).

With help:
5 foot pit - 5 count
10 foot pit - 10 count
20 foot pit - 20 count
30 foot pit - 30 count

Without help:
5 foot pit - 5 count
10 foot pit - 10 minutes
20 foot pit - 20 minutes
30 foot pit - 30 minutes
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

traps

Post by Nelkie »

I could get behind that a person can't be attacked while in pit trap unless they are being attacked by a ranged attack. So the person must stand there with their hands over their head and taking any ranged damage.

How does that sound?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

yea, but now that i think more about it, where do you draw the line there? An attacker could easily hit someone with a melee weapon even to probably the 10 foot range. Then the rules get complex again. Probably too simple to say that there is a count (whatever count is decided on) and no attacks made either way while the climber is climbing?
Moo.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

With help:
1-5 foot pit - 5 count
6-10 foot pit - 10 count
11-20 foot pit - 20 count
21-30 foot pit - 30 count

Without help:
1-5 foot pit - 5 count
6-10 foot pit - = to pit depth
11-20 foot pit - = to pit depth
21-30 foot pit - = to pit depth
31+ damage is not increased due to depth but you are trapped and can only be helped out of the pit by someone with rope or other device that can reach you.

IMO there comes a piont where it's nearly impossible to climb out of a pit that doesn't have handholds. I can understand the depth being limted for damage reasons but deeper pits can be utilized to trap people not neccesarily kill them.

As far as getting out of the pit if there is someone actively keeping you in the pit you can't get out until that person leaves or has some other thing to deal with other than just making sure you don't get out of the pit. Both people involved would follow the same rules for counted actions already in place with the addition that you must be within 2 feet of the wall. IE if you are in a pit and are trying to climb out you must have an uninterrupted count, you do not take more damage from falling because if you are climbing out you are very close to the walls and can use them to slow your descent somewhat. Using the counted action rules will also keep someone from running around inside of the "trapped" area counting and jumping "out" of the pit when they reach 0

For damage, time should be counted backwards from highest to lowest #s, if the counter is under 10 they can be attacked with melee weapons, above that ranged weapons only and to show you are in a pit there can be a different hand sign, maybe something like the lowered crossed arms or weapons used for burrowing at CARPS. I can't ever see burrowing being brought into this game, at least hopefully not, so it shouldn't be needed. If the climber reaches 0 before their life is reduced to 0 they escape and can then defend themselves.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Hmm unsure anyone can get out of a 30 foot pit without hand holds.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Right, I like Temple's plan, but where is the cutoff limit for actually being able to climb out? And regarding falling again once someone is trying to climb out, would they take damage if there were spikes in the bottom of the pit?
Moo.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Hmm unsure anyone can get out of a 30 foot pit without hand holds
Yeah me too, I originally was going to put 21-30 as need help get out but figured I'd use the deeper traps so that someone wouldn't say why can't you get out of a 21 ft hole.
where is the cutoff limit for actually being able to climb out?
In my example it was pits over 30ft but as Chris has stated you could still have the 30ft max and just use a lower# for the cannot escape by themselves depth.
would they take damage if there were spikes in the bottom of the pit?
I'd say no still, it alleviates any variance and makes the rule simpler. That doesn't mean you don't take damage from them if you somehow get out and are forced(pressed) back into the pit.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~