Question for warriors

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Question for warriors

Post by GM_Chris »

Ok throughout the event I will be attacking someone and their response was to stand there, hands to their side and say nothing.

Didnt seem like def matrix since parry was used.
Didnt seem like hold ground since the people keep moving.

Anyways its annoying. COuld I please be told what was used and then can we come up with a way to comunicate what it is you are doing?

For example if you are Def Matrix then you actually need to swing your arms around and attempt to block even if the person is swining 1. I would say the same is true with hold ground.

After some hits get through you sould say something like "you are not damageing me"
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

throw a few zeros, and they'll get the hint. :)
Travis Cole
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

I know that when I am playing Rhul and I defensive matrix, I actively try to block attacks. Sometimes I throw a couple of zero's to give the NPC a hint. Sometimes, I even hold my fists upside down against my forarms and block like that.
Anyways its annoying. COuld I please be told what was used and then can we come up with a way to comunicate what it is you are doing?.............After some hits get through you sould say something like "you are not damageing me"
Actually, I have seen an astounding amount of NPC's do this at both FH and WH. I have even seens NPC's that after the fight, laughed and joked that "Why did you guys keep hitting us with "vorpal/magic/etc", it was just healing us and negating all the damage everyone else was doing, ha, ha." But that was never communicated, even by a purely-roleplaying response on the NPC's part.

I have hit lewer-level monsters at WH Garritt alongside other Empaths with multiple calls of 10 or more magic, and after getting frustrated that the NPC's evidently weren't acknowledging the hits, they then told us that either the magic wasn't doing any damage, or that it was actually healing them.

Some even tried to counter it by asking a snarky, "Well, do you actually see your attacks doing any damage?"

Uhhh......no. Not any more than I could see through the NPC that was a ghost. It's the downside of a larp that unfortunately needs to be verbally roleplayed by the NPC.
"BY THE POWER OF GRAVESBANE....

I.. HAVE.. THE.. POWER!!!"
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i had not witnessed anything like this, so i am curious as well,

i have always been on the side of saying, "no effect" "its not doing anything" etc.

when we fight monsters and hit the them i saw them saying "you blow a chunk off", "that seems to heal it" etc.

but if you as a GM feel that you need to know what they are doing then you should pull them aside and ask what they were doing, but yes i belive it should always be explained what a person is doing, and if it is having effect
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

Could have been Heroic Stand as well.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Look

This is not a bash session this is a "how do we fix the communication problem session"

I will address the NPC side so can I please get an answer to the question I asked.

Thanks much
Chris
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

"Defensive Matrix" as soon as it's activated. "Defensive Matrix Down" as soon as your done using it. If you approach another enemy while using defensive matrix say "Defensive Matrix Active".

Yes I know it takes time to say. But it also takes time to throw up a near invincible wall of defense and to drop it.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Francesco DeLemuerte wrote: invincible wall of defense

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA etc.

with the now MANY ways to do something other than "1" this makes me laugh...as seen above :D
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

See if I use defensive matrix I'm sure to say the 0 to let npcs/people know i have it up.

If I have to start saying defensive matrix then I'm ok with that too.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL guys I dont even know if it is def matrix people are using, and not every person uses it. I dont believe anyone is cheating or I would have asked at the time I saw it.

Once we figure it out we can come up with tools to fix to communication hole.
Chris
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Just.... kinda... standing there.

Post by Torakhan »

GM_Chris wrote:I will address the NPC side so can I please get an answer to the question I asked.
To help facilitate your questioning can you give examples of players who were "standing there with their hands to their side, saying nothing", or at least during which scenes? (i.e., "Bob X, during the Gunther River fight was just standing there while I, as a rabid coyote, was hitting him time and again." ) It might knock loose a few memories for folks who might be doing it, or who were witnessing it and know. Then again, if the NPC threads are more useful to your questioning then perhaps it's best to go there for your answer.

It's possible, I suppose, that those people aren't online(yet?) to respond to your question, or don't even realize they were doing that.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

very possible. I can PM them directly there is no reason to post their names publicly some I believe based on their comments think im on some kind of witch hunt.
Chris
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Look

This is not a bash session this is a "how do we fix the communication problem session"

LOl, sorry. I'm sure I sounded that way Chris. But many times I'm bad at getting my point across on forums. My post was a long winded way of saying that we should be telling NPC's if we are doing something that is negating or lessening their attacks' effectiveness........but NPC's should be better at doing that as well, because that can be just as frustrating for us PC's as it is for you guys.

I don't think there should be a hard and fast thing we say, we should just say something. Maybe, "Your attacks don't seem to be doing much", or another such "not much damage" shorthanded quip. Just a audio signal to help make up for the visuals that can't be "seen" at a LARP, but would be pretty evident in real-life combat.
"BY THE POWER OF GRAVESBANE....

I.. HAVE.. THE.. POWER!!!"
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Also, both sides can ask the question. Are my attacks hurting you. I have asked that question many times just to clarify. Both sides forget, this helps reminds them some verbal naraition can go a long way. :D
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Exactly - but it's when the don't *respond* to the question that it becomes ubber frustrating. No idea how that can be fixed, though, save maybe Game On Meeting reminders.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.