The joys of Beaurocracy

Inside and around Castle Gravesbane
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Rhul walks into the room from the hallway. He is bereft of his armor, instead clad in his more casual wear - a loose sleeveless robe and pants. He's carrying an odd assortment of several books, a small scroll case, and a innocuous ball of tan ''fluff'' that trills quietly in the crook of his furry arm.

It looks as if he was headed to the basement door under the stairs, but seeing the conversation, he comes over and takes a seat at the long table. He fixes Val with a friendly look as he sets the tomes down on the table with a soft thump.

Well, that may be, but she is our leader, as she has been for some time. The position "ruler" is more for the benefit of groups from outside Haven, rather than a title we are required to call her.

At the same time, there was talk of giving me the position of "Castle Scribe". Rather than "librarian", "man of knowledge", or "giant furry beast who occasionally thumps things in an angry fashion but then goes back to read by the fire''.

*he shrugs*

We are all who we always are, but certain titles can have distinct importances in first contact with outside groups who first need to hear certain words before they respond with any respect. Like Ga'Vin tribes, or any orcs we might meet.

*he chuckles deeply and glances at Trusk*

Doubtless, there are at least a score of orc tribal leaders within a hundred miles that hold the self-appointed position of "king", even if they command a dozen warriors. And if ever we needed their friendship, I'm quite sure they would need a "queen" to talk to.
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

trusk scratches his head at the mention of talking and words.

WERDS? TALKIN? WHAT YOU TALK BOUT MONKEY MAN?

*has a sudden realization*

OHHHH, YOUS MEAN DA NAGOTIATIN AX. BUT I DUN THIN DAT DA ES MERLDA STRONG NUF TO LIFT TRADITIONAL AX.
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Well, probably not. But- that's what the new title is for. Hopefully some people will be impressed enough with the name "Queen", that we won't need to get out the negotiating axe.....er, as much.

*turns to Esmerelda*

So, is there anything I can help with? Lately I've been going around trying to collect some books and whatnot to replace what I lost at the House of Chance, and maybe some new work as well.

(He tousles the hair of the little furball, and it chirrups again)

Found this little guy in one of the storerooms downstairs. I think it went down there and got trapped, but since I liberated it, it seems to like my company.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Val stands and stares at Rhul struck dumb with the bottle halted inches from his lips just hovering in air. Then he shakes his head with utter disapproval and puts the bottle to his lips and guzzles the rest of the bottle as fast as possible. Then, once the last of it is gone he looks back at him and says, "Horse shit."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda smiles Rhul's foundling and reaches over to offer it her hand to sniff before attempting to pet it.

"Actually yes, there is something you can help with. I think I've got the wording of the guard's contracts to where it needs to be. Can you make up a dozen or so copies with the blanks left in for the names? That way we can just fill in the names of the guards rather than having to write out a new copy each time a member of the guard is hired. And I might have a question or two about your interpretation of some older maps I found but that can be later..."

Turning to Trusk, she adds, "Amongst our people it is said that the pen is often mightier than the sword. I'm not sure about axes though. And how heavy is this axe? If I can take a man's head with a sword I might be able to lift your axe." Her voice grows harder as the smile leaves her face when she speaks, remembering the Strong Man.

Esmerelda then turns to Val. "You have concerns. What are they? I'd much rather have you speak out than constantly muttering under your breath."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora, who was about to say something just stands there to observe the discussion that is going on betweeen Esmerelda and Val*
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Serith as well looks on from the Bannister with peaked interest at the exchange between Esmerelda and the surly Dwarf
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

"I don't have concerns. I have contempt." Val says looking over at Esmerelda. "Why should I speak up? You seem perfectly content to govern with a mutter... To be hesitantly handed a paper crown with a limp wrist and empty title, but calling that farse a title of nobility and honor is an insult to the Kings and Queens of old who ruled, and died, with passion and courage. You had to be talked into the idea someone else conceived, and now your allies talk about it like it's a trendy new hat to impress town guests. That's a joke. You may run this soup kitchen, but I won't polish it with something it's not."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora's eyes grows a bit cold.*

Val, Esmerelda has been the leader of the people who came to Caldeonia from Haven for quite some time. Were you not there during the ball when she stood strong before us as a leader and set the record straight on how things were going to go before we went into battle against the elves? As far as questioning her liniage, she is of actual Noble blood from back before the cataclysm from a Kingdom called Silverthorne.

She's never held such things over people because that is just not her way. Now that Haven has been retaken, I can easily see for diplomatic reason for a need for there to actually now be a title attached to her name when dealing with outside sources.

By dwarven standards, no she is not a warrior, but she has diplomatic skills for those situations where sometimes to make a ally is not to hit them over the head with a stick or sword again and again and again. I'd match up her skills in diplomacy against myself or any skilled warrior any day of the week and I bet ya 9 times out of 10.

Sometimes Val, the path to piece doesn't have to be made in blood...

..sometimes
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Val glares back at Aurora. "Your words are empty excuses."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at him, her eyes ice cold*

And you sir don't appreicate all Esmerelda has done for you and how much easier your life has been since you met this woman.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

"Just what do you think she has done for me? Korrigan pours my drinks, and I fed myself. I fought the battle to kill the elves and concur this land just like everyone here, and have gained nothing from her or you people. So how is my blood shed in your name somehow a debt to her?" He growls.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Serith only smiles at the exchange

"And be happy that these arent the days of old, because that out burst right there would have pretty much put a death mark upon your grizzled head."

*Serith shrugs

" I can care less of what a persons "Title" or lineage is as long as the person leading at this moment gets the job done, and I for one have not went Hungry, without clothing, or with out the supplies I need to survive. I also think OUR leader has done admirably in a posistion she didnt want, but has taken in stride...Im more concerned with the "Leader" who pushes and takes their title than one who reluctlantly accepts the role."

*Serith jumps down and lands nimbly to the floor and dusts himself off as he stands looking to Val

"And to use the old addage, theres the door if you dont like it, or have ideas on how we can do something better."
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Val turns and stalks over to Serith getting right into his face (Bellybutton? LOL) saying, "What makes you think I wouldn't welcome the anger of a true old King upon my insolence? Many a dwarf has met a noble end for saying what is in his heart and facing the battle that it brings." He pokes the elf in the belly with one hard finger.

"I couldn't care less that you don't care; Elfy. You may have cast your values to the wayside, but my people deeply value tradition, honor, and valor. To forget what it means to truey be a King means to forget everything my people fought and died for Since the time of the first dwarves. She can be the voice of this place. That I do not contest, but she is no Queen. I will not call her that, nor recognize any title she graces upon anyone under that fantasy." He pokes Serith again for good measure.

Then he looks at Ezmeralda waiting to see if she will come to her own defense.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Francesco emerges from outside the gates holding some firewood. As the conversation between Val and the others goes on the old man listens with interest, especialy to Val's words. As Val finishes his tirade against Serrith he look's Esmerelda to hear her response.