The joys of Beaurocracy

Inside and around Castle Gravesbane
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

The joys of Beaurocracy

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda sits in main room of the keep. For several hours she has scarcely even looked up from her work. On the table in front of her are spread several books, maps and various piles of paper. As she writes she mutters to herself, "forwith they shall be paid in coin the value of 3 food, 2 supplies, 1 cloth and 8 units of upkeep for arms or armor..."

Her eyes catch the sand running out of the hourglass on the table. "Oh thank goodness! I can take a break." Setting down her quill she heads over to her and Fionna's lab at the other side of the room to tend to her potions...
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Dallid walks in, taking note of the clutter on the desk.

“Enjoying a few mundane managerial tasks, I see.”

He then catches the glare in Esmerelda’s eyes as she looks over her shoulder at him, and amends his statement.

“Perhaps ‘enjoy’ is a rather strong term for the work at hand.”

“Still, a positive sign of positive times. The elves seeking to enslave Phanterra have been thwarted, contact has been made with many peoples, work has begun to formulate means of communication and trade, Haven has been reclaimed and stands united to a degree not seen since my own time.”

He stands over the desk, absently considering a few of the maps laying upon it.

“True, Corbyn is still out there, but Corel is freed, the Ring of Silverthorne wrested from him, and the Strongman vanquished. He is diminished.”

“Of course, there will always be dangers. The path ahead is fraught with much toil and peril. Yet the potential of recovery and balance has never been greater. Haven stands poised to bring much needed order to the world – to reign in the chaos spread by the Cataclysm.”

He chuckles.

“Perhaps even the age-old struggle between Nature and Industry may again resume in a few generations.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora walks in and notices the state of the room carring a mug with steam coming out of it.*

Esmerelda I though you could use a cup of tea. You've been burried away in here for a bit.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Setting her last potion up to brew she walks back over to the desk and smiles at Dallid.

"I don't know that enjoy is exactly the right word. But really, I don't mind it so terribly much. It's just that there's so much of it to do! When I was a girl watching my father run his lands, everything was alreay established. He merely provided his barons with direction and obeyed the orders from his king. But this- this is completely different. Building a kingdom from the ground up. there are so many things to consider. So many things to plan." She sighs. "So many opportunities to make mistakes. Which more than anything I don't want to do but I know is inevitable. I just hope my growing pains don't cost the kingdom too dearly."

She suddenly smiles mischeviously and approaches Dallid, placing an arm around his shoulder. "But then, that's what my trusted advisors are for, right? To keep me from blundering so horribly as to ruin the kingdom beyond any hope of repair."

"We're building such a precious thing here. Finally restoring order after so much strife. Some mornings I awake and I think it surely must be a dream that we truly managed to defeat the elven army and that I took the Strong Man's life with my own hands. But it is true and such a wonderful opportunity we have here!"

"I only worry now what new threats will arise to menace our fledgling kingdom...
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Looks up from upstairs sitting on the edge of the Banister deep in thought, and occasionally forming the very essence around him into a ball of energy and then extinguishing it just as easily as forming it...

"Then we do what we have with EVERY other threat that has reared its ugly head towards us, deal with them as they come..."

*Smiles to Esmerelda as he does a little bow

"...Your Majesty"
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda opens her mouth in inhales deeply as if about to start yelling but then suddenly lets it all out in a big sigh as her shoulders slump.

"I guess I can't really yell at you for calling me that. Although as I told Cristo, it's really not necessary."

Looking around the room, she smiles. "And with loyal, wonderful friends to help me, why shouldn't we succeed in anything we wish to accomplish?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

trusk enters keep from outside, having been primarily preoccupied these past few months with "redecorating" the tower he claimed for the bear tribe closest to the main gate of the keep, covering it in skins and replacing the unnatural features such as iron and other metals with more natural objects such as stone with the help of malachi and theon. he proudly displays his war trophies about his person(consisting of numerous tabard pieces and insignias from the elves that formerly occupied the keep, as well as a few pairs of ears, fingers, and toes of various races, primarily elven). he notes the conversation as he enters and gestures to esmerelda.

EH ES MERLDA, WHAT YOU STAYIN IN DA BIG BULDIN FER ALL DIS TIMES. LOTS PEOPLES OUTSIDE DOIN STUFFS AND UDDER TINGS, HOWS COMES YOU JES MAKIN SCRIBBLINS ON DA THIN WOODS FER? DA TRIBE HAVES SPIRIT GATHERIN HERES IN A FEW MOONS, WE'S IN VITES YOUS AND YOURS PEOPLES TA COMES TO'S IT.
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda smiles at Trusk.

"I haven't been in here the entire time, I've been on the farms a lot too. As for the scribbles, humans and elves and some of the other races consider them very important, rather like your tribes take note of your war trophies." She gestures to the items hanging from Trusk's person.

"As for the spirit gathering, I'd be honored to attend. What do you do at them? Will there be a lot of war chiefs present? I would want to make sure they were given the proper honors."
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Serith is right. Each obstacle may only be tackled as it is discovered. The best we can do is remain vigilant and seek to recognize problems as early as possible. Diplomacy is key here. As we learn of the societies around us, friendships can be formed and potential conflicts avoided. As trade and treaties grow, defense and information networks will greatly help identify and confront approaching crisis.”

“There are many who stand ready to aid you and Haven. That you recognize your role as that of a servant rather than a master does you much credit, and promotes good will, trust, and loyalty.”

“And now is when such attributes are needed most. The potential for significant growth in unity and cooperation throughout the lands is significant, but the future is yet very much undecided. The dust has yet to settle. Starting a network of extra-Haven contacts will be laborious, and you will need all the help you can get. But once the process is underway, it will gain momentum and proceed almost of its own accord and the path ahead will be much clearer. While every goal and effort will resound with their own importance, it is these first steps that are the most crucial. The path chosen at the start affects everything down the road.”

Dallid looks out the window and sighs, his eyes taking in the people walking amongst the buildings and the treeline beyond with a feeling of love, pride, hope, and contentment.

“Everyone here has done so well. Indeed, all I had hoped to come to pass when I returned has done so. Perhaps the most important being Havens unity and focus – though this is only recently obtained and yet very fragile. I don’t belong here, and must go soon, but I’ll remain long enough to offer what aid I can in nurturing the order and cooperation started here into a strong and resilient thing.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Esmerelda smiles at Dallid's praise. "I was taught that a true noble is a person who is noble in their actions and loyalty to their people, not because they were merely born to a title. And I think a kingdom is what the people here need most. No matter what my personal wishes in the case might be."

"Our friendships with the other peoples are so tentative at best right now. We do need much diplomacy and understanding to be successful. You are such a calming influence, Dallid and I believe still much needed in this process. I hope you will not be taking your leave of here too terribly soon?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

Fionna enters the room to the intent conversation at hand. She removes her cloak and pulls the leaves and other debris from her hair. She has spent many hours these last few weeks getting to know her new surroundings and the herbs the land has to offer. She heads directly to the lab she shares with Esmerelda and begins unpacking her findings. She listens in silence, as often is her way, to the conversation between Dallid and Es. Upon unpacking her gear and setting some new potions to brew, she walks over to her dear friend.

"Yes, many relationships are tentative at the moment. However, with level thinking and diplomacy many of those can be strengthened. My dear friend, if there is anything you need me to do, you always know I am here for you."
Fionna MacNeil
Queen of the People of Haven

“We all at certain times in our lives find ourselves broken. True strength is found in picking up the pieces.”
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Realizing that she's been ignoring Aurora without meaning to she takes the cup of tea with a smile.

"Thank, you Aurora, that's very sweet of you."

At Fionna's commetn she grins wickedly at her friend.

"You really have no idea what you're in for, do you my Lady Chancellor?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora smiles slightly*

You were working in here a long time and I thought you could use a cup to relax.

When you have a moment I'd like to talk to you, but I know you have other things going on right now. It can wait.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Val the dwarf wanders through the main room of the keep looking for Korrigan with a mostly empty bottle in his hand looking at the group slowly gathering to pat eachother on the back.

The surly figure grumbles loudly enough for everyone to hear, "Queen... Kingdom... That's rich. She's no ruler."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

She smiles to her friend sharing one of those moments where words are unnecessary.

"Of course, I realize what I'm in for, as much as you do. Although my family was not the largest clan in Caldonia I do have a little experience assisting someone running some lands. This will be a new experience for us all."
Fionna MacNeil
Queen of the People of Haven

“We all at certain times in our lives find ourselves broken. True strength is found in picking up the pieces.”