One winter afternoon

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

One winter afternoon

Post by Esmerelda »

From the kitchen of the inn Esmerelda can be heard clamoring around more than usual. After a while, the smell of baking cookies wafts through the air. Tucking a stray curl behind one ear as she comes into the common room, she surveys everyone present.

"We have been snowbound in here for entirely too long. So I propose that tomorrow we take the village children and have a snow festival! Snowball fights, snowmen, cookies and cocoa for all! Who's willing to help me?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

*Rhul rises from his now customary relaxation by the fire, and cracks his knuckles loudly*

I daresay I'm up for the task. Our little jaunt into Caldonia contained entirely too much drama. While I prefer the cold to the heat of the summer if I were forced to make a choice, tromping though the snow has also shown me quite precisely how much conditioning I have lost relaxing in relative safety.

I would prefer to keep an eye on the little ones anyway. You can never be too safe in these trying times. It wouldn't do for a pack of goblins to attack in the middle of play, now would it?

*At the sight of Esmerelda's stern look, he cocks his brow and clears his throat a bit*

Hrrumph.....Hrm..Not that would ever happen, of course, especially under such skilled and experienced attention that the collected town could provide. Ludicrous, obviously. I simply got a bit carried away.....

Hrm...what would you like some help with?
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi goes through his notes, does some calculation, and looks up at Esmerelda.

"I'm thinking I could use a day off myself. And with as cold as it's been, it won't hurt to let the mortar set for one more day. I'm in."
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

*the door to the inn opens, allowing the cold wind to flow into the room for a brief moment as trusk enters, he is completely covered in snow that lines his furs like a white frosting on a cake*

TRUSK BACK FROM DA AVAN GARD, IS ALLS OK'S HERES?

*trusk spots rhul near the fire and jaunters over to him, slapping him hard on the back in enthusiasm*

HEY, IS DA MONKEY MAN, HOW YOU IS MONKEY MAN, ME NO SEE YOUS.
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

*Rhul accepts the hearty thump, which might easily have sent a finer built person stumbling, smiles, and in Orcish politeness thumps back*

Well hello yourself Trusk, I'm doing just fine. How's Avenguard doing lately?
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

*Fionna rises from the chair she was in, where she was crocheting by the fire.*

Esmerelda, you know what ever help you need in the kitchen I am more the happy to do. A little activity during these cold stretches is just what we all need. If we are cooped up too much longer, cabin fever may set in and you never know what that may bring.

*Turning to Rhul and Trusk*

Of course, what ever protection the stronger of us can provide is always appreciated. You never know what may be lurking in the shadows during these troubled times.

Let's get these children outside and run out some of their cooped up energy!

*She heads to the kitchen to help with the baking.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi grins.

"I'll be back in just a few minutes. I've got an idea."

Malachi walks out of the Inn.
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Eyes shining with hapiness, Esmerelda clasps her hands together in excitement.

"Thank you all so much for helping out! This will be a lot of fun. But oh my! I think I'm going to have to bake more cookies!"

Smiling she starts to run back to the kitchen. Calling back over her shoulder, she asks, "Fiona, will you come help me get the mugs ready for the cocoa?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
celegar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by celegar »

AVANGUARD FINE, WATCH DO BIG GOOD JOB.

*at esmereldas statement, trusk looks puzzled, he scratches his horns poking through his hat and turns back to rhul*

WHAT PEOPLES IS HELPING WIT?
YOU STAY SMART, YOU STAY ALIVE, DONT DO NOTTING STUPID.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi enters the Inn, a sack hanging heavy on his shoulder. On his belt is a length of rope with six metal rings clinking against eachother gently. He sets the sack on the table.

"Trusk, you can help me, if you like."

He pulls the length of rope off of his belt and begins to unravel it and secure each metal ring to one location with a knot.

"This is a game my father taught me. No winners, no losers, just some fun. Trusk, if you would hold this end. Rhul, this one please."

He positions Trusk and Rhul opposite of eachother in the common room, with the rope strung between them. To each of the metal rings, he attaches a thin piece of heavily laquered wood, each shaped like a very cartoony goblin.

"The object? Pelt the wooden goblins with snow and save the town!"

He laughs.

"Rhul, if you and Trusk would secure the rope between two trees, I have a few more things to get ready."

He reaches inside the sack again and pulls out several carved wooden figurines.

"I know, they're not very good, but I've been working on my woodcarving for a while now, and I think I've got enough to make sure everyone can go home with a 'prize'."

He puts them back in the bag and hands them to Fionna.

"If you would be so kind as to hand them out, I've got a goblin 'barricade' to build!"

He smiles and walks outside.
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

I'm on my way, Esmerelda. Anything I can do to help.

*She bounds out of her chair, placing the mittens she was working in her bag, and happily walks to the kitchen.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

*Shea comes down from upstairs....*

Do I smell Cookies?? Mmmmmm
Esmerelda or Fionna!! what are you up to??

*She follows her nose to the common room to see rope rings and wooden goblins.*

You must be guarding Esmereldas cookies....

*She smiles at them as she goes under the rope and heads towards the kitchen*
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Shea walks into the kitchen just in time to be handed a large platter of cookies.

"Here," Esmerelda says smiling, "do you mind carrying these out? They're to keep everyone from getting too hungry while we have our fun in the snow."

Turning back to Fiona, she helps her load up two other trays with mugs for cocoa. Looking slyly back out to the common room, she says. "Good with his hands and he likes to do things for children! That's another good mark in my book." Laughing she raises a questioning eyebrow and Fiona and then quickly goes back out into the common room before the other young woman can reply.

Setting her mugs on the table, she puts on her cloak and mittens and picks her tray back up to head outside. Once there, she starts rolling snow to make her fort...
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,

Jaycen Blackhawk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Jaycen Blackhawk »

A lone, weary-eyed man comes stomping through the snow towards the inn. He is bundled against the cold and snow, but it is obvious his weapons are still easily accessible. A large shield is slung over his shoulder, but next to him it seems of a normal size. There are no markings on the shield to indicate any allegiances.

He pauses to watch the building of snow forts, the busy work of many people with smiles on their faces. As he watches a slight smile lights the corner of his face.

He walks towards the pile of snow being stacked by Esmerelda and watches her closely.

"Ma'am", he begins to speak, his breath creating a small cloud, "You're starting to build your fort in a depression. It'll make it easier for your enemies to strike over your walls."

With a shrug he slid the shield of his shoulder and slammed it point first into the snow. He quickly undid the buckle of his weapon belt and threw them over the shield.

"Now if you build it over on that little rise right their", he continued, "You'll have the advantage high ground. You won't need to throw so hard and anyone brave enough to assault you directly will be slipping as they come up the hill."

The man looked down at the woman and a big grin lit-up his face.

"I'd be more than happy to help."
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Soldier
Mercenary
The Last Hawk
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

*Shea startled at the plate of cookies being given to her, as a reflex she takes them...*

Uh okay Esmerelda

*She smiles as she walks outside with them to watch the festivities...*
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.