drinking a potion after death (or zero life or less)

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

drinking a potion after death (or zero life or less)

Post by Zydana »

Death and Dying
Unfortunately, a character only has so much life to work with. When a character's life points reach zero, they become incapacitated; they can talk but cannot move or perform any actions. When a character has negative life points they are dying and will bleed to death in one minute.
During this time a character can speak in a low whisper, but cannot move in any way; this includes drinking potions unless they have a skill that states otherwise. When a character is bleeding to death another character must bring their life point total equal to or greater than zero to make them stable. This can be done through the use of skills or items such as first aid, surgery, and potions. You may only heal from -9 to 0 unless you have a skill that says otherwise. Once a character is stable they can heal normally. A character can only have first aid performed on them once while their life point total is less than zero. Once healed into positive life, the next time the character takes damage and falls below zero life they can be healed through the first aid skill once again.
specificly I have questions with these two lines..

During this time a character can speak in a low whisper, but cannot move in any way; this includes drinking potions unless they have a skill that states otherwise.

This can be done through the use of skills or items such as first aid, surgery, and potions.

Since someone can't drink a potion while at zero or less, is it safe to assume someone else can "feed" them the potion? (I'd assume yes, or potions such as Fortify the Dead would be pointless.)

If that is true, I assume you can also use cure potions to heal people in negatives..

so.. Long ago, I heard there was a maximum amount of potions you can give someone while they were in negetives. Is that still true and what is that number. I was unable to find it in the rulebook. Where can I find this information?

I also have a question about this line:

You may only heal from -9 to 0 unless you have a skill that says otherwise.

So if my friend is at -1 and I give them a cure wounds 2 potion, they would not be at positive 1 life, they would be a 0 because I can't heal them past 0 while they are in negitives?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

So here is what I know.. (grin)..

You can drink a potion in neagtives if you have the Determination Skill.. as of right now that is the only way I know of to be able to do it.

Otherwise if you are in negatives a Potion must be "fed" to you buy another person.

Now as for the -9 to 0 thing. first off if you are at -1 and you drink a cure 2 potion you should go to positive 1..I am pretty sure the "Death and Dying" phrasing is not meant to imply otherwise. The reason it is stated as -9 to 0 is that once a character hits -10 or worse, Potions, First Aid and other abilities that grant LP are unuseable on the character until they are healed by Surgery to -9 or better. Hence giving a character at -10 a cure 4 potion would do nothing. But if the character is at -9 then potions, and all other abilities that grant LP are still useable.

as for the limit on potions.. there used to be a limit of 2 potions while in negatives and 1 potion per White chip pulled during surgery.. but as far as I know the limit was done away with now that the new Death and Dying rules are here. So a slong as you are at -9 or better you can drink as many potions as you want to get better.

If I am wrong on any of this I would love to hear from a GM?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Phil is correct