Question about Advanced Skills

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Question about Advanced Skills

Post by Sheogorath »

Hey, it may be becasue I am still sort of new and stuff but I feel like some of these advanced skills are almost there just to taunt us. I know that was not the intention of the GMs but, again I am new and may be missing something, they seem unreachable.

From what I heard characters like Donovan and Corbyn have been around since the start of Final haven, which I heard was about 5-6 years and they just reached level 100.

And if one were to start a character now and play every event for Final Haven and Winter Haven with basing the number of events per year based on this year it would take more then 10 years then to get to maximum level of the skill (lvl 330) and even to reach the mid ground it would take almost 5 years. (Lvl 140). I am not saying that reaching these levels is an impossible feat it is just that with they way I have witnessed the past year, not including the last FH event, I don't know if characters would ever last that long, and those lengths of time is if you never missed an event for both chapters of Haven, and if you only went to Final Haven all those times would basically double.

I am not trying to be cynical or sound mean but these skills just seem so unreachable they are almost pointless. I understand that these are meant to be used by everyone but at the levels they are at they seem just impossible to reach by anyone.

Just wanted to say my piece about this, thanks for your time.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Never assume characters "won't last that long" Ka, Eli, Corbyn and Atrum have been around since day one. Donovan I think was actually the second or third event. But the first few years were 2 events and 4 events it wasn't til the last couple years that FH has been doing 5 and WH started up. So assuming about 10 events a year between both games it would take about 2.5 years to get to level 140 and PLENTY of characters have made it 2.5 years. The GM's have already had a game where the prevailing thought was that the uber skills would only ever be used by a couple of people, and now half the people that play that game are higher pts than the outer limit was thought to be.

Some people, think the advanced skills are too much, some people think they cost too much, some people think they'll take too long to get, some people think no matter how long it's not long enough, noone is ecstatic about every facet of the advanced skills, so I think the GM's did a good job. :P
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I'm with Erik in that they did a good job on the advance skills.

I mean there are a few characters now eligible for advance skills and it doesn't take all that long to get up there in levels especially playing both WH and FH with the same character.

Advance skills shouldn't be easy to get and should be something one can think of long term down the road after a character has established themselves.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

To openly voice my opinion for the first time,

Sheo, I'm with you (to an extent). As someone who will probably never play WH (4 hour drive, one weekend a month Melissa doesn't work and wanting some time with just the two of us) I'm looking at a long time before I get close to the advanced skills. BUT... I think making them so high of level does restrict their use. I agree with Erik, the GM's are leary of advancing the game to far too fast and I don't have a problem with that. I DO think one advanced skill needs to be placed under or around level 50. That means playing one game for 2-3 years (with the same character) gets you something to look forward too. Then place the others at higher levels as appropriate.

I can definatly see both perspectives, but to make it clear, I also think that advanced skills (including the hero point rules) are a HUGE step in the rules, even as they stand right now. I want to see how well they balance, in actual practice.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I think you do get a hero point use at 40th level or there abouts, between the hero point scale and the advanced skill scale I think it makes a pretty smooth progression.

And for the record, I didn't think any of the advanced stuff was neccesarily needed, but I'm an RP\combat larper. I abhor rules and truly could care less about continued advacnement, which I think is why I've never really been tempted by any MMO, their mostly about advancement and tweaking your self out. for me advancement comes in the RP. But I CAN see why other people may actually like to have an attainable mechanical goal and some sort of steady advancement that lasts beyond your first 4 or 5 events.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~