Advanced skills

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

we can just change it up that every regen level you have increases the number of life by 1 (or 2).

nice catch. hazzards of writing the advanced stuff before the updates.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

Under the 'Discipline' chapter in the rule book, it states that Disciplines can be unlearned but Paths cannot be unlearned. There is no mention of Advanced Skills or Hero Points. So...

How does one go about unlearning a Discipline in which they have an Advanced Skill?

What effect would replacing an Alchemy/Arcane Discipline Skill with an Advanced Skill have on the Alchemist/Arcane?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Yeah, that's not well explained, good question. Advanced skills are considered Path skills and so you cannot unlearn them. Although you can swap out discipline skills to get them, you still have to follow the rules that apply to the disciplines, meaning you cannot swap out a first level discipline in a discipline you have more than one level of. IE You always need the lower level discipline skills to have the higher level discipline skills.

You could swap out a first level discipline skill if that was the only level you had in that skill. You can always swap out more points than the required points to get the skill (swap out a third say), but you do not get the excess points back. The intention is for you to swap out a path skill but it leaves it open for people to keep them if they really want to.
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

I'm not sure if you answered my first question, maybe I'm not seeing it.

If I replace the first level of a Discipline with one of the Advanced Skills and then choose to unlearn that Discipline to learn another one, what happens? Am I stuck with the first level of that Discipline (as the new Advanced Skill) forever? Or do I unlearn it, and the first level of the new Discipline that I learn automatically convert to the Advanced Skill?

OK, that makes sense for Arcanes/Alchemists. But doesn't this hamper Paths with less skills then others?

For instance, if you were Basic Sage you would only have three skills to trade out, where as a Warrior would have four...
An advance Empath would only have three options for a second level advanced skill, and would still only have three options for a third level skill where others would have four...

Also, if I take the Advanced Skill Transference (Support Level 1) and I replace First Aid with it, what happens? (The concept works for a few other skills, but I figure one example is enough)

(I know, I'm a pest)
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

If you choose to get rid of a first level discipline that means two things:

1) you do not have higher levels in that discipline (otherwise you cannot get rid of the first level because you need the earlier levels to have the higher level)

2) after getting the advanced skill, the discipline you got rid of is simply gone. There's no unlearning required because you no longer have any skills in that discipline.

You are right that some paths have more swappable skills than others. I'm not sure how big of a deal this is.

If you replaced First Aid with Transference then you would get First Aid back again plus the rest of the skill. If you replace Healing, Extend Life, or Cure Disease (as a healer or if you happen to pick up First Aid as another path and get rid of something else), then the effects of First Aid are doubled (and of course you still get the rest of the Transference skill).