The Tipsy Traveler Inn

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

The Tipsy Traveler Inn

Post by GM-Taki »

A short distance down the trail from the new keep, construction of another building is nearly complete. The two-story Inn appears to be made from a combination of stone and hardwood, as is common is Caledonia. Workers can be seen finishing up the final details and a large wagon is parked outside the front door.

Korrigan can be seen negotiating with a stout dwarf near the wagon. After a few moments they shake hands and Korrigan hands the dwarf a large purse. Two more dwarves appear from behind the wagon and begin unloading large barrels into the new Inn.

Just then, a young woman dressed as a barmaid appears at the door holding a shingle. Carved into the wood are the words "The Tipsy Traveler Inn" and a comedic image of a man in traveling clothes stumbling towards a busty tavern wench who is holding two large tankards. Korrigan laughs when he sees it and nods vigorously.
The two of them proceed to hang it outside the door.

Smiling, Korrigan then produces a piece of parchment. He scrawls "Haven Refugees Stay Free" on the parchment, tacks it to the front door, and disappears inside.

He reappears a few seconds later, looks at the parchment for a moment, and then adds the words "limited time only" to the scrawl. Smiling once again, he whistles to himself as he walks inside.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Of course, thee'd lead me here... the seer's feet receive a scathing glance, then a wry smirk.

Following Korrigan inside, there is a nervous clearing of throat, then, "Is there any work to be had in exchange for some liquid spirit?" comes the hopeful inquiry.

A good draught always seemed to burn a bit of any pain away; so if only...
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan walks behind the bar and looks around. He does not appear to be accustomed to being on the serving side of the bar, but quickly adopts the classic bartender pose. He gestures towards one of the stools and motions Eilonwy to sit.*

"The first one is on me, friend, and after that you'll have to tell me your trade so we can work something out. Since you're my first customer, I can guarantee that everything is in stock and all the tankards are clean. What can I get for you? Ale? Mead? Cider? Wine?"
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

The blue eyes light up at the offer of a free drink, "Ale, dwarven if thee have it, and thanks."

After a pause, "My trade... Well, probably not too useful in a tavern. Diplomacy, lore and conundrums, a pathetic bit of martial training. Come to think of it, my attempts at diplomacy have been laughable. Need a jester?" the youth's mouth quirks bitterly.
RenLightfoot
Town Member
Town Member

Post by RenLightfoot »

**The door opens slightly, and Ren slips into the tavern.**
"Good evening Korrigan, Eilonwy. How is everything tonight?"
**Reaches into his cloak and produces a bottle of Dark Elven Black Lemonade and hands it to Korrigan**
"A grand opening gift for your shelf. From my own private stock."
"I think you underestimate the sneakiness"
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

*Sethreal enters the new tavern. He nods to Ren and Eilonwy, and extends a hand towards Korrigan.*

"My name is Sethreal, and I would like to test your hardest spirits. Its been to long since Ive had a chance to warm myself from the inside."

*He then pulls up a stool and sits at the bar. A blank expression upon his face."
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan looks at Eilonwy and pulls a large tankard from the shelf behind the bar*

"Actually, with the mood of the people around here, some jestering might be a good idea. A joke or two could liven things up a bit. Oh, and as for Dwarven Ale..."

*Korrigan gestures to the two dwarves rolling barrels in from the wagon outside and grins*

"...yeah, we've got a little. One tankard, coming up."

*Korrigan instructs the dwarves to put one of the barrels on to the stand behind the bar. He then inserts the spigot, taps the bung, and pours a frothy tankard of Dwarven Ale. Handing the tankard to Eilonwy, he also retrieves a cast-iron tavern puzzle from a box under the counter and places it on the bar.*

"Here ya go, friend. Something to quench your thirst and something else to tease your mind."

*Korrigan then turns to Ren and gratefully accepts the bottle. He places it on a rail behind the bar alongside several other expensive-looking bottles.*

"Thanks, Ren! Everything here is friggin' insane, but nobody's dead and I'm not bleeding, so it could be worse. The laborers have finished the cellar, the bunkroom and the wellhouse so all that's left now is the workshop. I hear there's a guy around here who knows all about keeping a building in good order, so I'm hoping to give him a job and a place to work."

*The same young woman who handed Korrigan the shingle appears in the doorway carrying a case of bottles. She walks behind the bar and down the stairs to the cellar. Korrigan nods to Ren and pulls a couple of bottles out of a similar looking case.*

"Hey, if you're not busy, pull up a stool and give me a hand. The only thing I know about wine is that when I drink it I feel like a prissy little girl until after the sixth bottle, and after that I don't care what the hell anybody thinks. If you know more than I do, you can help me figure out what I should charge for these wines."

*As Sethreal enters Korrigan glances over from his conversation with Ren and gives the young warrior a welcoming nod.*

"Hardest spirits in the bar, ay? Well, there's a special kind of whiskey they make around here called Caladon. It'll eat the ass out of leather pants, and I've got three different kinds here. I don't know which one is the strongest yet, but how about I let you figure that out?"

*Korrigan sets three glasses on the bar and fills each with a different strong-smelling liquor.*

"The first one here is called Craggan, the second is called Glenmora, and the last is called Tynelysh. You and Eilonwy are welcome to help with my wine pricing if you'd like a chaser. Slainte!"

*Grabbing the bottle of Craggan, Korrigan downs a shot and starts looking at wine labels.*
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

*Sethreal examines the shots laid before him and frowns. After requesting for his own tankard he procedes to pour all three into it. Swiflty thereafter he downs the whole thing. Coughing and pounding his chest sethreal tries to smile.*

"Thats some strong stuff.*Cough* I think it is my new favorite drink. Im gonna call it Craggaltyne.*Cough* Hit me." *Seth says as he pounds the table with a smile that could only be brought on with strong liquor.*
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

*the seer nods in greeting to Ren, then Seth; the large tankard is accepted gratefully* "Many sincere thanks, friend."

*the blue eyes gaze fondly at the foamy ale like a dear old companion; taking a surreptitious look around, the focus returns to the tankard, the puzzle for the moment forgotten* "It's been far too long..."

*tipping it back, the youth begins to drink... and drink, a long, luxurious draught until the bottom of the large tankard points to the rafters and the last drop is drained; any trace of foam is licked up, cat-quick and there is a heartfelt sigh of contentment*

*that done, Seth's concoction is given some serious thought until the sight of the dwarves finally jars a niggling question back into the sage's brain*

"Master dwarves, have thee had word of thy kin that lived just a short way from Haven before it fell?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Walking into the the new structure a young woman who a few saw earlier arrives after dealing with matters with the arrival with more newcomers. She looks at the place and smiles. She notices the people hauling things in and out of the building and offers to get the door for them and eventually carries in a few things herself to get the out of the cold faster. After that is accomplished she comes to the bar and nods a hello to Ren before bringing her full attention to Korrigan.*

*She looks at him and smiles warmly*

Nice place you have here. Good to see a tavern outside of Caldeonia.

*She extends her hand in greeting.*

With the tensness from earlier we really didn't get to be properly introduced. I'm Aurora, Aurora Darksbane. It's really nice to meet you.

*Looks at the seer at the end of the bar and it's as if she is trying to recall if she has seen her before.*

Excuse me Miss...umm do I know you. You seem familiar, like someone I knew or met when I first arrived a few years back.

*She looks at Sethreal and decides to leave the obvious fighter alone to his drink and not disturb him for if he's drinking such a strong mixture that she can smell he probably needs it.*
Last edited by Aurora on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan watches Sethreal and lets out a laugh.*

"HA! This is fantastic! I've been open for ten minutes and I've already got my first special drink. A Craggaltyne it is!"

*After filling Seth's tankard with a "Craggaltyne", Korrigan also refills Eilonwy's tankard with the Dwarven Ale of which the seer seems so fond. As Aurora enters he wipes the ale from his palms and shakes her extended hand.*

"Nice to meet you as well, Aurora Darksbane. I'm Korrigan Drochlann, and welcome to the Tipsy Traveler. We're having a few rounds to ease the nerves and forget about the state we're all in. Can I get you something?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora blushes*

Ummm...well....do you have anything warm to drink like a coffee or a tea? Since I haven't really been in my first battle yet and proven myself it just wouldn't seem right to well...ummm....try any ale, wine, or anything like that.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

"Coffee or tea, hmmm... I think I know just the thing."

*Korrigan disappears into the kitchen for a moment and returns with a kettle and a mug. He sets both on the bar in front of Aurora along with some sugar, honey, and a small glass of cream.*

"Alright lass, here's how this works. The coffee is an old blend, and it's fine on it's own, but you might want to sweeten it up a bit until you get used to it. Also, that cream has got spirits in it and will make your coffee a real joy, but it's got a bit of a kick. If you're as green as you say you are, take it slow or you'll be dancing on the bar before the night's out."

*The wistful look on Korrigan's face seems to suggest that he's recalling something specific.*

"Normally dancing on the bar is something I encourage the lasses to do, but I wouldn't want you to get embarassed or break an oath or something, so like I said, take it easy with the cream till you can hold your round. Okay?"
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora smiles*

How about I sweaten the coffee if needed and I promise once I prove myself in battle I'll come here and drink. Is that a deal? I do appreciate the warm drink.
Aurora Darksbane

Caldonian Genderman
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Laughing, Korrigan takes the glass of cream from the bar and pours it into a tankard. He then adds some of the coffee and begins to drink it himself.*

"Fair enough, lass, fair enough. You prove your mettle in the field and then we'll test your worth in here."

*Leaning back against the counter, Korrigan glances around at his first four customers and smiles.*