Bonus for Good Physrep's

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

GM_Chris wrote:You are back to discussing bonuses. :) I just wanted a rule.

Like I do not want to set the bar at "we will allow jeans" and then say if you do not wear jeans then we will give you a bonus.

Rather just say "People have to have an adaquit costume or you do not play.
Chris,

I'm all for hard-line role playing, but I think that is a little too narrow. We do not "allow" jeans, but we will tolerate them. If you have new players especially to say, "costumes not good enough, go home" is a little rough.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I'm all for hard-line role playing, but I think that is a little too narrow. We do not "allow" jeans, but we will tolerate them. If you have new players especially to say, "costumes not good enough, go home" is a little rough.
If a new player shows up in Jeans, we could probably get them into a rudementry costume. I see no excuse, however, for a player who has played more than one LARP event EVER to wear jeans. Costume, in my opinion, is the first step to getting into character. Seeing bad costume just pulls me right out of game and good costuming helps me connect with a character. IMHO if you want to wear jeans and not a costume, buy some dice and play D&D you will probably be happier in the long run.

If a player cannot afford basic costuming then all they have to do is ask fellow players for help. I am betting that if a person said they really wanted to play but just couldnt afford or find costuming that atleast half a dozen current players would answer the call and hook them up.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

A tunic and sweatpants work out fine.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

And that is what we need to discuss.

Some might think sweats and a tunic bad while others are OK with it.

We just need to decide what we want. There are alot of cheap ways to make a costume that are better than sweats and a tunic.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

On another note we have not enforced races like we should. I should be able to look at you and know what you are and alot of the times I cannot.

I am moving in the direction that NPC's should follow those rules as well so I am not just harping on players.
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

On another note we have not enforced races like we should. I should be able to look at you and know what you are and alot of the times I cannot.
I think this is an absolute necesity. Players make a choice at character creation to play a race with make-up. They need to stick to that choice. I think if a player is not in appropriate racial make-up, they should loose the racial boon and racial life points.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

we instituted that rule at WH, and it made all the difference.
Travis Cole
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

There were rules at Winter Haven? :shock:
GLOMP!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:On another note we have not enforced races like we should. I should be able to look at you and know what you are and alot of the times I cannot.

I am moving in the direction that NPC's should follow those rules as well so I am not just harping on players.
Thank you. I'm glad to finally feel I am getting some support in this area of player racial costuming and people are trying harder. Not everyone, but some people. It's not a matter of being picky about costuming, it's a matter of NEEDING the different races to be fairly easily identifiable on sight. It's a visual cue that the person is NOT human.

And if PCs are complaining about NPC costuming, I know NPCs do the best they can in any case, but are often needed to fill several character types in a small period of time and should NOT be used as an example of proper racial costuming. NPCs just don't always have the time necessary to scrub their faces off between interactions. PCs don't have that excuse.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We were never against you.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I've already stated that race should be not be tied to any mechanical benefit (in fact, I've already suggested a rule to promote roleplaying one's race without it tied to any such benefit). Causing people to lose their benefit due to improper costuming is a horrid idea.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well see Erik it is not nessissarily a horrid idea.

It is a horid idea to you because your core feelings about the game is different than someone elses. This is why I wanted to discuss those things before we talk about rule changes.

Now what is everyone's oppinions on races?

Should costuming be requiered to get a mechanical bennift? Should we have a minimum requierment? Does this make it hard for those with less to spend on costuming? Should we care? Should we provide an alternative as Erik suggested? Does this screw up the RP'ing back story of the races if we did? Should we care?

I guess if we want to hold as a core belief that our LARP will be as affordable as possible then Erik is right and we should not give a mechanical bennift to costuming.

If you think the powers go with the backstory and the back story is more important then Erik is wrong.

If we feel that a dwarves 2 bucks on red makeup is not that much of an expense and still goes into the cheap catagory then Erik is wrong.

What about those who cannot wear makeup? Then Erik is right

If you think everyone should be accomidated then Erik is right

If you think that makeup is a dissadvantage how ever you look at it, and that difficulty should be rewarded then Erik is wrong.

So think on those things and other things. Figure out your core beliefs and what is most important in a LARP and then decide. You cannot have your cake and eat it to. :)
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

When i Go to the movies to watch it with the rest of those that willingly go, I dont stand up on my seat and scream throughout the entire film and then act suprised when I am ejected because I didnt follow the rules because screaming through a movie is what I like to do and how I like to watch it. I knew going in I had to be quiet. If I dont WANT to be quiet, I shouldnt go in.

When I join a sports team, say a soccer team, and I drive up and down the field on a 4 wheeler cause thats how I like to play soccer, I get ejected. I dont act suprised that I am getting ejected, because everyone that joins the team, AKA the activity, knows before hand what is expected and what the rules are. There is an expectation of conduct. If I do not want to participate accoring to that standard, I SHOULDNT PARTICIPATE.

It is irrational and illogical to agree to do something and then gripe that its not done the way you want it to be. You CHOSE to play by the rules presented, in the manner that is standard.

In a LARP environment taht standard includes wearing and using phys reps and wearing proper costuming. The reason it includes that is because we arent playing in a Star Treck holodec so we need the players and NPC and GMs to represent what we WOULD and SHOULD see, if the game world was real, the best they can

So when I look at Ka, I SHOULD see a Tsunataur warrior type in heavy armor(or the best that can be had with make up and props and no holodeck), but what I see is Reid with a duct tape triangle on his helmet and what really falls into a light armor catagory. The reason I see that is because to Ried its not a role playing game its painball with foam weapons and the GMs dont enforce the details of the game rules because to them this is a hobby and not worth putting that kind of emotional effort inot it. They dont take it seriously enough to be hall moniters.

Now this isnt meant as a jab at either Ried or the staff. The point I'm trying to make is, if you CHOSE to do something such as LARP or play a dwarf, do it as that system sets the standars to have it done. Don't join and then go "but I want it my way". The rules give racial costuming standards and they should be followed. If you dont want to wear that stuff, dont play that race or gripe about lost powers/skills. If you want to just show up and whack at people with sticks and say your a different race without wearing any props, join SCA.

Im not trying to get anyone to stop attending, I just cant help but feel that lack of effort in this area is just out of lazieness (and no im not including those that cant wear the props commonly used, in fact I know one little dark elf female that had that issue and she busted her rump to find another way to do the right thing and get her ears)
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well that does not really help too much since we are actually talking about chaning rules, not playing by the current rules. :)

To Reids credit, he does RP a lot more than he jokes about doing. He has also worn horns for a very long time. We simply did not inforce, and when his broke I guess he did not see any reason to get new ones. I mean we allow other people to not dress up so why should Reid.

Basically the comments were not accurate.

Also, you perception as to why the GM's do not enforce rules are incorrect. We have not enforced because we keep wanting to be nice to people. We have people cry at our games. We have people take us aside and tell us how they cannot afford this and that but would like to play. SOoooooo we are nice and we allow people to come in without paying, without wearing costumes, and without physreps. This unfortunatly makes those with such things stop making an effort and upset. The silent hord screams "UNFAIR!"

This discussion is a good one to talk about how we want our game to go.

Do we go with very lax (sweats, tennis shoes, and a tabbert) knowing this will mean people like Brian and Hiedi to probably not play in the log run? Do we enforce higher standards knowing that will mean (x, y, z) will not be able to play in the long run?

Maybe, what we as GM's should do is have enough stuff on hand to give costuming to those who cannot afford it instead of just giving them a pass.
Chris
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Researching the LARPS out here, there are 'GM's that will pull you out of game, tell you your cosume/racial depiction/character rolyplay/battle roleplay/skill roleplay are insufficient. As a result, they will either change your race/class/path etc. Ban you from using skills until you can prove you're capable of playing the roles better, or flat out banning you from the game.

I for one don't want FH to get super crazy psycho strict like that. However, a orange plastic rain poncho from the checkout lane 'cloak', jeans and Nikes doesn't get me in the LARP mood either....

:idea: :idea: FIGHT IT OUT!!!!! :idea: :idea:
GLOMP!