Sage Hint - > NPC Camp

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

How does a person have a path and no skills?

but seriously, Chris. There's no way you can play a character and not save skills. YOU always have skills.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

No I can choose to not have a path. There is nothing that forces me to take a path. I can have nothing.

My goal is to not take any skills, but convince people that I have alot of skills and be on every plot. I am positive i can pull off most everything with good RP.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Personally i think part of the issue is that the sage concept is better suited as a discipline than a full blown path.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

Brian,

You may be right.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I see your pont Steve, but the warrior isn't Achilles, and the Empath isn't Fistandatilus. I don't think they are talking about taking anything away from the Sage, actually making the sage seem cooler by giving them OOG info upfront and then you don't have to wait while they go get it. Making it seem more like they are pulling it out of their arse instead of the awkward, "I should have an answer now" then wait 20 minutes while they go get it. And making it a little more believable by causing them to do some old fashioned research, I envision on the way to the spot the item was found or the hint is being asked about the sage walking with the GM and by the time you get to the spot the sage then can say "Aah yes, that looks like the war markings of the illiad tribe of beastmen, An ancient and nearly forgotten tribe from the old books I seem to remember...
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

I'm actually a bit pumped to playtest the new ideas. The "google" search will be done pre-game; anything after that will be looking for those hidden marks, studying the odd glyphs, etc. on the spot. Should be interesting.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I read this thread and I'm very disappointed in the PC's. The NPC's spend alot of time and effort to bring us a wonderful game to play and it seems they only get is flak. I say job well done and keep up the good work.
The reason we play this game is to have fun. Nit picking rules that have no relvent bearing to the balance of the game or the story line is a waste of time. We as PC's need to be more flexiable and do what we can to help out the NPC's in their challange to entertain us.
If that means we have to get up and venture out into the wilderness to get a sage hint, than let it be so. Is it so important to the over all game to have hints hand deliviered to the PC's. See it as an oppurntity to roleplay with ones fellow PC's as you and a small group of protectors take you to NPC camp.
I like the new idea about the sage hints, but it is additional work the NPC's have to do, which they do not have the time to do.

A couple more points I would like to make.
1. this is a full contact larp. If you play, be perpare to be hit. If you don't want to be hit, or get into combat, than don't play this game. If you do play this game and avoid all the stituations where you might be hit, don't complain that there is nothing to do. There is always stuff to do, but you will get hit and have to excert some effort
2. This is not a sit down role palying game, it is a live action roleplaying game. Be perpared to do battle.
3. All the paths are combat viable. I have played a rouge, sage, healer, and empath, and I'm always in the middle of battle. It is all what skills you choose, what armor you wear, and how bold you want to play. If you design an arcane-empath that is squish, you will die in combat. But don't complain the game is to damgerous. You made that choice to be that squish and you must live with your choices.
4. It is all about how you want to role play (Which most people say is so important) ones skills. No 2 people will RP there skills the same. Be creatative and have fun with them.

This is just my opinon. Take it or leave it. But keep up the good work NPC's
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Hey I love all the support!

You guys rock!

I will say though that I love this idea of upfront hints or what will be stories and that is a serious positive of this thread.
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

General Maximus wrote:1. this is a full contact larp. If you play, be perpare to be hit. If you don't want to be hit, or get into combat, than don't play this game. If you do play this game and avoid all the stituations where you might be hit, don't complain that there is nothing to do. There is always stuff to do, but you will get hit and have to excert some effort
Now we are getting into the crux of it, enjoy:

1. This is a full roleplaying LARP. If you play, be prepared to roleplay. If you don't want to roleplay, or get into conversations, than don't play this game. If you do play this game and avoid all the situations where you might have to roleplay, don't complain that there is nothing to do. There is always stuff to do, but you will have to exert some effort in having a personality.

Easy how that can be turned around, isn't it? It doesn't sound much friendlier this way, either.

Now, I don't think there was one person in this thread who said they didn't appreciate the NPCs and I think even mentioning it is uncalled for. The fact that people are in on this discussion means that FH matters to them and they just want to put what matters to them in the game on the table. People are trying to decide what direction the game is going to take in the future and if it meshes with their wants as a player.

Most of our current players (GMs and NPCs as well) have a rising set of demands that interfere with their ability to play. It's no longer a casual decision on whether or not they want to attend, it's a serious choice based on finances and availability. Now, if they go a stretch of events where they feel they had a lackluster time, not awful but not terribly memorable either, it's easier for them to decide it's not worth showing up for or spending the money on. If you don't think this is the case, I can think of more than a handful's worth of other players that I have had this discussion with when asking why they aren't going to make an event or whether they plan to show up next year.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

More Good Stuff.

I always enjoy the full contact to ful role-play agrument since both are exactly correct.

Anyways, if there are people who are thinking of not playing anymore well that is normal, but if they are looking for a reason to continue then please start a thread. I cannot blieve that how we do or do not do sage hints has 1 thing to do with the amount of fun a person has at an event.

I would love to hear suggestions on how to make the game excitting. I hear mechanic this and mechanic that, but honestly I think it has little to do with mechanics and more to do with feeling like your in a rut.
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I would love to hear suggestions on how to make the game excitting. I hear mechanic this and mechanic that, but honestly I think it has little to do with mechanics and more to do with feeling like your in a rut.
1) real cash on wandering monsters
2) strippers as NPCs
3) yelling BINGO instead of GAME STOP
4) strippers as PCs
5) random plots that come to the players houses at 3 AM
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I hardly ever role play and always have things to do. :P hehe.

course, admittedly, I enjoy watching the game when not in combat so call me an odd duck.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

2) strippers as NPCs
4) strippers as PCs

WHERE DID YOU GET A COPY OF THE WINTERHAVEN ADGENDA?
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

as long as random plots include said NPC strippers, I'm ok with these changes. :)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Wyrmwrath wrote:
2) strippers as NPCs
4) strippers as PCs
This guy has great ideas, I want strippers at 3 AM!! Except Bada Bing is so much more aprapos than Bingo.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!