A Stranger enters

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

A Stranger enters

Post by GM-Mike »

A middle aged man of unremarkable features who carries a staff , presumably for walking and protection, enters the inn. He looks around at the different people seated there carrying on one conversation or another, and for the longest of times says nothing, does nothing, almost to the point of making people nervous.

From the back of the inn, someone asks the question that perhaps everyone was thinking, "Can I help you, sir?"

The man smiles warmly. "Perhaps," he says in his unremarkable voice that matches his unremarkable looks. "I've been traveling for a long time, collecting...stories I suppose, stories that always begin with the same sort of question so I anxiously await an answer. What is it that you all appreciate most here, in this Haven?"

He awaits a response
Gabrial
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gabrial »

Sitting next to Orien, and sharing several nice hardy drinks with Sethreal and Voralen, Gabrial stands up from the table and staggers towords the man.

"We appreciate eachother here. Though we may have our differences, we stand as one, united. We appreciate the fact that no one is seperated for who or what they are. We appreciate what we have, what we fight and bleed for, and what we all desire when it comes down to it. We appreciate Haven and all it is. Our home."
Sometimes you need to see the world in a different way...
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

We appreciate peace and loyalty, friendship….looks at Shea and family. For some of us we are all the family we have.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The man smiles. "Interesting and very nice. You seem like very honorable people." He looks down a moment as if in thought and then speaks again. "You say you appreciate what you have and what you fight for. What is this thing that you refer to? Also, what acts of kindness have you experienced? What has someone done for you that you truly appreciate?"

He turns then to the Lady. "It is good to have family close by, to have good friends. It is good to hear that loyalty is on your list of things to appreciate."
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

Orien’s fingers, entwined in Gabrial’s, tightened and a slight wash of something unreadable crossed her face… as of some cloud crossing the sun. Her dragon-like electric blue eyes settled upon the stranger, kind and yet concerned, which was unusual for the eternally light hearted and hopeful healer.

“Such odd questions, sir, for one so newly come.” Her innocent smile returned to its usual place on her lips and she rose, placing a soft kiss on Gabrial’s cheek as she did so. She collected a goblet and a bottle of wine and brought them before the stranger with a slight bow. “Here is the kindness and love we cherish, and there it sits also,” and she looked with adoration back over at Gabrial. The elf poured the unremarkable man a glass of the wine and sat near to him, her head cocked and an appraising look on her fine featured face. (doing the Paladin thing and sensing er… darkness, I suppose)

“I can speak for no other, nor would presume to do so, but of love and kindness, of gentility in the face of torment, of friendship out of nothingness I have seen much. I came here, sent and bound by oath, with nothing. The Order took me in. They made me one of their own, showed me laughter and friendship, gave me words of solace and compassion for what I had lost.” She looked fondly over at Shea and the Lady. “Brave men like Voralen over there stood and kept my care, placing strong shield and defending blade before me and those who would have brought me low. Others,” and she again looked over at Gabrial, “Gave me love unlooked for beyond all things and all hope.”

The healer returned her attention to the man before her, a figure of innocence and true Light. “Together we have all built a place of healing, home to many now who once had none. And too, we strive to make this Haven safe, healthy, and happy for all who would have peace and Light in their hearts.”

She placed a gentle hand on his arm. “Is there aught that we can do to help you also, good sir? Any hurt that I might tend or sorrow amend?” ( Healer’s appraise… and again with the Paladin sensing for darkness, as she’s actually touching him now.)
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Voralen looks on listening to the strangers words, along with those of Orien's. Unflinching in his posture Voralen does seem a bit on edge with this travelers line of questioning.

"Good Stranger, What I cherish most about Haven, is a second chance. More than that, it has become home, and I will defend this place with every drop of blood in my body from those who wish to do it harm"

*At that Voralen stands and crossing arms across his chest
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The man smiles again, his most warm and friendly smile. "I have apparently hit a nerve with these questions and for that I apologize. The rumors of the dark days that have befallen you here are most certainly true and it has placed a healthy suspicicion upon your hearts. Indeed, dark times have struck us all, and I simply look to bring out the good that people have experienced, to take minds off of what may otherwise be bleak times. I assure you I mean you no harm. Simply clarity."

The last two words were odd and the man paused after them, as if trying to discern that these words were the correct ones. Seemingly pleased by them, he continued, this time speaking to Orien, "I am glad you have found love. It is the greatest of things and I appreciate your offer for aid, but your stories are what give me hope, give me health. Are there other things about your home that one might appreciate?"

The question was not to Orien per se but to anyone, as demonstrated by his glance around the room...
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Slisk smiles and flexes his claws, straightening with barely contained excitement.

"You, Harbringer. I appreccciate your presssenccce. For if the lizardfolk you visssited are anything to go by, your presssenccce isss a precursssor to war. You curssse this placcce to battle, and I welcome it."

"Would you then treat usss with a ssstory of your own, perhapsss? One about our foe? A knowledge of our enemy'sss nature will increassse the anticccipation."
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Looking around the room Rosamund set a hand on a table. With that hand she pushes herself up. With a look in her eyes something just behind the smile she looks to Orien “Love is the grates gift." Her eyes move to Gabriel not quite knowing what was between them but understanding enough. "and even more so if it is returned.”

Then she looks back the new comer “One more time for me if you will what is your name. It seams I have missed it. I am the Lady Rosamund she goes in to a deep curtsy as if at a fine court at a noble’s house.” When she comes up from the curtsy she looks at the man to try and tell what she can from his clothing and awaits his reply.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Well, good sir, there certainly never seems to be a dull moment.
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

*Shea sitting thoughfully thinking about this strangers question finally looks to him and speaks.*

I agree with Voralen, I appreciate the second chance Haven offers. After the catyclism it's a chance to build a home again, and start a new life. I am thankful for my skills, to help build a new home, and heal old wounds. I so much appreciate the cooperation of our fellows we have grown to call family here.

*Shea looks over to Rosamund smiling and turns back to the stranger*
And rejoining with family here that we have been separated from for so long.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The stranger looks perplexed at Slisk's response. "Precurrsor to war? I certainly hope not. I certainly never intended to bring war upon anyone and I'm sad to hear that danger has befallen your very interesting and noble Lizardfolk."

When the Lady bows, he returns it as if well practiced in such affairs. "My name is Bartholomew Plank, and it is my pleasure to be in your company I assure you. It is a welcome sight to see people so in need of my...help. You see, I am having trouble reconciling a few things with your responses. Certainly I expected the jabber about friendship and loyalty, and how you stand as one and all of that. All of these things are very good responses, but it troubles me that no one has mentioned the sacrifices, the hard work of the king to build all of these wonderful structures, to attempt to provide you with stability. Even those in his Order failed to mention him as one whom you appreciate. It is as I feared. It is as if, I suppose, that you would prefer to live as you once lived, with an inn half the size of this one," and he waves his hand and the inn immediately returns to its pre-Roderick days, "with no fort to rely upon, with no hospital, with no personal security against stronger foes save the friend on your right and the family behind you. Before you ask, no, the king did not send me. I took it upon myself to make this point to you today, that you should be more grateful for the things that you have been given."

A look out the windows one will notice that everything has returned to the ways prior to construction. The man bows down again, and prior to raising, the man disappears all together.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Walking into the inn at the wrong moment, the young seer is suddenly outside again as it shrinks and the doorway recedes. There is a pause, a blink, and then the youth walks forward again, blue eyes scanning the occupants with a questioning, furrowed brow.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

*Shea stands with a frantic look, scans the Inn whispers, to Rosamund and hands her a few things from her bag, and leaves the Inn.*

Hi Eilonwy...good to see you....good-bye I really have to be going.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Not knowing what has happen Rosamund looks around and blinks once, twice....“What the......Shea”….says Roamund but she is already out the door. Turns to Esmerelda “we need tell the king.” She stumbles back then she heads towards the now stone building.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)