The Laws of the Haven

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

The Laws of the Haven

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*Donovan walks out of his office one day and has a short conversation with Quen. After the old caretaker brings him a hammer he proceeds to nail several large scrolls onto one of the walls of the Inn.*

"For those that do not know, these are the Laws of the Haven. These are the rights you all possess, the rules you live under, the principles that will be used in governance, and the responsibilities you have as citizens of Haven. Know that your rights will be protected and the laws will be enforced."

"Also know that Haven is all the land within a half-day's travel of this Inn, and that all those within will be subject to these laws. Haven is ruled by the Lord Regent Atrum Draconis, who stands as King and Steward for Prince Addison Morad. I, Donovan Thynedar, have been named as General of Haven's forces and second to the Lord Regent."

*Donovan remains for a time to read the scrolls aloud for any illiterate Havenites and answer questions.*

The Rights of the Citizens of Haven

The Rights of Freedom: Within the bounds of the law, no citizen shall have their words, writings, movements, beliefs, or privacies restricted or impaired.

The Rights of Duty: Citizens who act, by the determination of the King or his assigns, with righteous intent in defense of Haven shall have this considered in all matters of law.

The Rights of Property: All citizens shall have the right to own, earn, and keep real property within the law. In addition, all citizens shall only be required to pay a tax reasonable and necessary for the prosperity of Haven.

The Rights of Sanctuary: Citizens who earnestly participate in the defense and betterment of Haven have a right to the minimum requirements for a healthy life.

The Rights of Judgment: All citizens wronged by another citizen are entitled to justice under the law. All citizens accused of a crime shall have the right to know their accuser, to hear the charges against them, to have a worthy advocate speak in their stead, to a quick and fair trial presided over by the King or his assigns, and to swift, appropriate punishment thereafter.

The Rights of Awareness: Citizens have, from time to time, the right to be informed of any and all happenings within, around, or concerning the Haven; so long as, by determination of the King or his assigns, such information does not unduly endanger the Haven.

The Rights of Reproach: Citizens shall, from time to time, have the right to speak freely and without consequence to and about the King and his assigns concerning the policies, laws, decisions, and rulership of Haven.

The Rights of The Tribe: Tribes, guilds, and other organizations shall have the right to dispense punishments of their choosing among their willing members, so long as no offense has been committed against a person outside that organization. Should such a punishment deny another citizen due justice, the leader of the organization responsible shall stand for their crimes.

The Rights of Challenge: All citizens have the right to challenge another citizen to a duel or contest. All citizens have the right to refuse any such challenge without consequence. Should a challenge be accepted, the terms of the challenge must be made known to the King or his assigns and the challenge must take place at an approved time under their supervision. A challenge that is entered into by willful parties and is conducted justly shall stand as law and be above further condemnation. Any challenge conducted otherwise shall be invalid.

The Rights of Virtue: The citizens of Haven shall, in case of repeated, gross neglect of these rights and the principles of righteousness, have the right to seek justice appropriate to the virtues of these dictates.

The Laws of Haven

Destruction of Property: No citizen shall damage or destroy the property of another citizen or organization. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, and service.

Murder and Assassination: No citizen shall take the life of another citizen, even if that life is later restored. More severe punishments will be levied in the cases of premeditation. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, seizure, service, banishment, death, and oblivion.

Assault: No citizen shall do harm unto another citizen. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, and service.

Bribery: No citizen shall provide or accept goods or services in violation of their given duty. Punishments may include redress, seizure, confinement, and service.

Burglary: No citizen shall enter, without permission, the holdings of another citizen or organization. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, and service.

Conspiracy: No citizen shall plot, plan, or prepare to violate any of the laws of Haven. Punishments will vary depending on the offense.

Forgery: No citizen shall falsely create or alter any issuance of the King or his assigns. Punishments may include confinement, service, and banishment.

Oppression: No citizen shall seize, imprison, or enslave another citizen of Haven. Nor shall any citizen endeavor to deny the rights afforded to all citizens. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, service, seizure, banishment, and in grievous cases, death.

Cruelty: No citizen shall treat any animal or lesser form of life with cruelty or take pleasure in such an act. Punishments may include redress, confinement, and service.

Slander: No citizen shall defame or speak untruly concerning another citizen. Punishments may include redress, remuneration for damages, and service.

Theft: No citizen shall acquire, trade, or market the property of another citizen without the knowledgeable consent of that citizen. Punishments may include redress, confinement, remuneration for damages, seizure, and service.

Perjury: No citizen shall make false statements to the King or his assigns. Punishments may include confinement, seizure, and service.

Tax Evasion: No citizen shall fail, by intent or neglect, to offer up a fair tax. Punishments may include confinement, seizure, and service.

Treason: No citizen shall betray, by action or inaction, the King, his assigns, or the Haven. No citizen shall give information, comfort, or assistance to an enemy of the Haven. Punishments may include confinement, seizure, service, death, and oblivion.

The Principles of Haven

Accomplice: A citizen who willfully operates, aids or assists in the commission of a crime, either by action or inaction, shall bear the criminal responsibility as if they were the sole participants of said crime.

Accountability: A citizen who commits or causes a crime, be it through action, order, employ, or conjuration, will be held accountable for said crime.

Application: When making judgments or considerations, the King or his assigns have the power to weigh the intent of any law against the wording and interpret the laws in a manner consistent with their virtue.

Efficacy: A citizen who is detained under suspicion of a crime will be brought to trial within one moon of their confinement or will be released. Permission to detain the citizen longer or again on the same charge must come from the King himself.

Jeopardy: A citizen may not stand trial for the same crime more than once. Only the King, upon the discovery of new and overwhelming evidence, may call for a additional trial.

Proof: It shall be the duty of the accuser to prove the accused guilty.

The Responsibilities of Haven's Citizens

Service: A citizen is to render unto the crown what services their knowledge and ability allow.

Counsel: A citizen is to provide honest, courageous counsel to the King and his assigns.

Conscription: In time of crisis, a citizen is to enter willingly into the defense of the Haven, as directed by the King or his assigns.

Representation: A citizen is to conduct themselves nobly and graciously in dealings with their fellows and foreigners alike.

Enforcement: A citizen is to earnestly assist in the enforcement of the laws and the decrees of the King.

Support: A citizen is to refrain from causing unrest in opposition to the Crown and should make an earnest effort to resolve grievances during the Sessions of Awareness.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Slisk listened carefully, trying desperately to make sense of it all. So THIS was Haven – with Regent Draconis the civil leader and Warchief – WarMASTER – Thynedar in charge of the military?

He had know there was a strange division amongst the people he now lived with, but assumed it was one society, albeit a decentralized one. But now pieces were falling into place, and the conversation he had had with one of King Rodericks guards was making far more sense.

The Elder, to whom Slisk had sworn his loyalty until he could find his way home, was a local civil leader running his territory in the name of King Roderick. Warmaster Maximus the local commander. So Slisk served Woodhold. Haven was an ally. It felt good to have his confusion over the hierarchy of this place finally cleared up.

So these rules didn’t apply to him. Good. They seemed very confusing, though he was certain he had misheard a lot of it. The stated laws and rights couldn’t possibly apply to everyone – there’d be chaos. But maybe these things were understood – what law applied to whom. Surely non-magical commoners needed only to obey their betters.

But he did need to know what laws DID apply to him - to what extent he could act without violating treaty. Slisk approached Donnavan.

“I requessst the termsss of the pact between Haven and Woodhold, ssso I know my own resssponcccibilitiesss within Haven’sss boundariesss.”
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

"I must check with the Lord Regent to be sure, Slisk, but I don't believe there is an official pact between Haven and Woodhold. We're friends and consider each other allies, but no formal treaty has been drafted. I'm sure we'll be addressing that soon."

"As for your responsibilities within Haven's boundries, simply obey the laws and the dictates of the Lord Regent. All people within the Haven are subject to its laws and protected by its rights. As a skirmisher fighting in the defense of the Haven you have the Right of Duty, and from what I've seen of your discipline and character, your conduct should be well within the law."
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

*Corbyn walks over and reads the laws, then nods in agreement*.

Indeed Slisk, continue to conduct yourself in the manner you have to date, and you shall not be in violation of these laws. While you are in Haven, you will abide by these laws. Inside the walls of Castle Gravesbane, which now functions as an embassy, you are effectively in Woodhold. All members of the Order are henceforth forbidden to violate the laws of Haven.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks at both Corbyn and Donovan confused*

We have laws? Do we have an actual like law enforcer type ta keep track of everythin'? Ya know the trials and all from back in the day? I know we'ver tried that, but it hasn't exactly worked very well.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

*Donovan acknowledges the young pirate with a patient nod.*

"Yes, Kidwynn, we have laws. They are the Laws of Haven, and the Lord Regent, with the assistance of his assigns, will see to their enforcement. We have already held a trial, and Haven Justice has proven to be both swift and fair. The past is irrelevant, what we have now will stand."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum comes out of his room in the Inn and speaks in a loud authoratative voice*

We have had laws since my trial, while these laws may be differnt they are simply an evolution of those laws. What we have not had is enforcement. Donovan, Corbyn and I are trying to work together to bring about a place where people can raise their children and not be afraid that their neighbor is going to slay them in the night for their meager grains, or their clothing, a place where the land over can point to as an example of justice, strength and fairhandedness. If anyones aims are to sew chaos and dissention among these lands I suggest wholeheartedly that you seek other residence. I have watched as every attempt to bring some sort of order to this town has been thwarted by one factor or another. This will not happen on my watch. If you doubt my resolve in this matter, then ignore the laws and we shall see just how far my resolve extends.

*He looks around the room and his voice softens noticably*
As the laws state if you have any queries or concerns come and address them to either Preceptor-General Thynedar or myself, I assure you your words will be given their due thought and consideration.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks at Donovan and Atrum*

Just wonderin'...I appologize. Any other questions I have I will discuss with one of you in private.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

*Corbyn nods in agreement*

Well said, Lord Regent. I will do my best to ensure that all citizens of Woodhold respect each of Haven's laws while they tread your lands.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

You say that no harm shall be done to any other citizen. Is the person who murdered Jamus going to be held responsible for their deeds?
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn cocks and eyebrow with great interest in finding out more about this turn of events*
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

*Esmerelda takes a long look at each of the men in charge of the town*
"Why will no one answer me about the murder of Jamus?"
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*OOG This is not the response you are looking for :wink: *
Last edited by Atrum Draconus on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

OOG: In case there is still confusion (for now I am confused), Jamus is the "dreamer" guy, the one who was having visions and was accused of murdering several people. It was believed that his death would prevent further murders. When that did not happen, new theories were devised and he was raised and is currently living in the village. I only mention this in case he was being confused for Em's father who was recently convicted and killed for murdering several other people...boy there's a lot of murderers...anyway, hope that clears things up :P
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*OOG OK, I remember now.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!