Ideas and Questiosn from the Event

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

That all said a character can ALWAYS return, but you loose all levels. Some might think this is harsh, but honestly the time to regain levels it isnt an issue.

Lets say Ravinal's head got chopped off by the wraiths and thrown into town. LeRoy wants to keep plaing Ravinal. Well heck we can think of a reason to keep him comming back. Maybe he comes to an event as anNPC just to make some space between characters and ten he can almost create a mini plot as to why he is bck atless than his former glory. Be an interesting plot. It would besome great RP'ing and still instill fear.
All of this is very reassuring. I wasn't sure if the first rule was still in effect. After all, if the character means more than the lvls to a person, it would definitely be worth it to come back without them and possibly use a cool plot to boot. And yes, I agree that sometimes it is very cool to let a character go and become the thing of ballads or legend, even if only among close friends (or your own mind :twisted: ). Again, just throwing out some concerns/ideas. 8)
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

I can see dieing for some cause or having some legendary battle as being something worth while. Yet dieing from a mistake and or even worse, being made fun of for say, "Ravinal's folly" would not be a great way for a character to go. Everyone wants their character to suffer and come out on top at the end.

An unfortunate connect would be WWE format. Which is have the heels win for many weeks and then have the babyface come back just when you think all is lost. With some small wins and losses thrown in inbetween.
deceased
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

GM_Chris wrote:We dont want to see even 1 character die in an event, but we also dnt wnat an event where 20 characters die just toall bebrought back.
Ok, adding my 2 cents. I can understand not wanting death to be cheap. However, I would hate to see deaths for deaths sake. "Ok you 2 aren't coming back because we gotta make our ratio of 'death to resurrects'." You get the idea.
That all said a character can ALWAYS return, but you loose all levels. Some might think this is harsh, but honestly the time to regain levels it isnt an issue.
Wow, at first this sounds really cool. Then however, I realize how much it cheapens death. PC v PC is now, long term pointless, if neither PC is going to perma die.

Donnovan learns the truth about Lambic's past. To keep him from telling anyone Lambic murders him, burns the body and spreads it over a 2 month hike, including in a fast running stream. He gets back to town just in time to see Donnovan, obviously much weaker stumble into town, and reveal to the Duke that Lambic used to play Tuba. Damn it, foiled again.
I want to see honor and glory! I want to see courage. There is no real courage without fear. I want those players that really really dont want to loose their character suck it up, leave the inn and fight for something greater than themselves. Then if they die the other characters sing Ballads intheir name. Out of game these players may be sad at the loss of characters but relish the coolness of the role playing and realize it is stll just a game.

I want that feeling at every event and I dont ever want it to be gone
I agree that it makes a great event to really feel like your character or the characters around you, were couragous and stood against adversity. It is very difficult to balance having it every event and not cheapening it.

As to those that don't want to leave the Inn, I was about the Inn most of event, dealing with Alchemy, Crafting or political stuff (or smashing statues) and I can't think of anyone that didn't go out and do stuff, or have reasons IG to stay in the Inn. Alchemist, craftsman and the like will not be going on plots as much as others, its how the game is written. I didn't see anyone else "hidding" in there. Or is this all theoretical?

Going out on plots is brave and courageous and other good things, and you get rewarded for it (Hero Points, Magic Items, Honor, Glory, etc.) Those of us that choose to RP around the Inn, miss out on that stuff, but finding our own rewards (making stuff, Roleplaying, pissing off dragons, etc.) If there are specific plot reasons to those people who are usually around the Inn to leave and they are not leaving for OG reasons, like they don't want their character to die, then I would agree with you.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We dont want to create some artifical ratio of deaths to perma death.

When you come back as thesame character yur memory is wiped.

Look at it this way, if there is a PvP battle and you kill off sme PC's d they want you dead and we dont allow you to return as the same chaarcter. So you com in with close friends of the character that died andyou hang out until you get a tiny bit of in game proof as to why you died and then kill your killers.

Or

You come back in with a hard core character concept that pits you against the people who killed you. Both have perfectly acceptable Rp reasons so I cant really say no.

Now I guess I could say no to it if it happened more than once. A continual stream of characters comming in to knock off a certain personwouldnt be acceptable
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Oh man....I am so playing Jux again then and keeping a journal of who i hate and why hidded in a place only an orc would look. Cresent moon better get a large supply of ear plugs.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

If you are killed and want to come back as the same character without the levels, then you would need to get approval from the GMs. We can (and will on occasion) say no.

I actually HATE...no LOATHE that rule and thought we had gotten away from it. If a character dies senselessly then I can see it to a point but there comes a time to let go. Every story has an end. Sometimes stories dont end the way you want them too but suck it up and make a new character. If you are dieing every event, then maybe you need to take a serious look at things and ask a few questions of yourself. Sit down with the GM staff and discuss your deaths and see why it keeps happening. Just coming back again and again will not help you grow as a LARPer.

Any good LARP is about the story. If your character dies during the story then be happy for your part in it and move on. It sucks sometimes but such is life. Make a new character and use it to explore a different aspect of the game or your personality. A character that keeps coming back again and again cheapens the story for everyone else and cheapens your character's individual story. How can a character grow if they have no threat of an ending?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Wayne makes an excellent point BTW.

On the flip side I can see the drama of comming back. Gandolf is a good example. Ofcourse he only came back for a short amount of time.

I guess what we are saying is we would prefer that if you die then stay dead. On the other hand if you cannot handle this, AND it can make sence for you to come back then we will review the situation and let you.

As for PvP I wanted to expand on this so as to be clear. Actions have consequences. Actions for killing, actions for peace. lets for example take Drake. Drake will for the end of his days be plagued by endless Gavin for players choice to bring him back in someone elses body. (not a secret since he said it on the board) Any person he brings it up to will turn is horror for the use of such evil magic. Yes I know we gave you the magic but that doesnt mean for you to use it. :)

Likewise for PvP. Forexample lets say Pentag comes back into game. people know he is comming back in the arrea and thus some choose to play different characters for the sole purpose of killing him. I dont have an issue with this. Pentag is a NATORIOUS killer and he would have people hunting him where ever he went. It makes sence, but somehow people really get wierd when it comes to players and NPC's.

Lets say Corbyn kills Donovan in open court. Brian being upset wants to come in with a concept that is out to kill the duke. Well again I have no issue with this scenero. Lets say Brian's new character dies again. Well the revenge plot failed. Now I would have an issue with another gun for Vince type of character.

Basically, understand that EVERYTHING you do will have consequences and not the ones you want. We as a staff constantly discuss everything you guys do in game and react accordingly.

I was done there but I get so excited because you as characters are faced with VERY difficult choices. Do you genocide a race of beings? Do you help this group knowing what they are doing to another group. Every plot has a peace/fight scerio. A good/bad scenerio. You can play it how ever you want. :)
Chris
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

GM_Chris wrote:Lets say Corbyn kills Donovan in open court. Brian being upset wants to come in with a concept that is out to kill the duke. Well again I have no issue with this scenero. Lets say Brian's new character dies again. Well the revenge plot failed. Now I would have an issue with another gun for Vince type of character.
And the most confusing and controvertial thing... How did Brian get ahold of David's character. No wonder Corbyn killed the imposter! ;)
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Oh I am so messed up between those two. You know what i mean though..I hope
Chris
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Onimaster wrote:And the most confusing and controvertial thing... How did Brian get ahold of David's character. No wonder Corbyn killed the imposter! ;)
David or Brian and I think you have 50% chance of it being right at Final Haven :)

My point of PvP was more, even if you pull out all of the stops to kill another character there it seems unlikely that they won't come back. Rather than changing characters to deal with the problem, that doesn't matter if they come back they come back. Also I would hate to see some one who knows that I snuck off and murdered some one when we were all by ourselves in the woods and then I disposed of the body. In other you can never commit the perfect murder if anyone can pop in and foil it, because they are looking for revenge for being murdered.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Did you notice the memory wipe, and my example was open court. Ofcourse if you snuck away and did everything right then they couldnt just come in and do it, but they could investigate and with a little time, say several events they could give a good enough RP reason why they attacked you. Ofcourse I dont really need an RP reason.

You are right for the most part that is impossible to commit the perfect murder. This has been true since the dawn of time though. Good that fiction world follows real world.
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Uhm, if someone I murdered popped back up again, they'd just find themsleves murdered again, plain and simple. So I really have no problem with people using the same character as long as the new one doesn't remember what the old one did. Sooner or later they'd get the idea that I was not gonna let that character live. I don't think the GM's would have a problem with it, I mean if someone you shank walks back into town a couple of months later and you didn't shank them again what kind of homocidal maniac are you anyway?
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL exactly!!!

And I have to tell you this. If I was playing Dueger and I saw some of the stuff going on in terms of Rezzing. I would start killing off the abominations.

My personal oppinion is either the entire town has very laxed morals OR simply has laxed morals when it comes to PC's.

I am VERY curious what you guys do when I take a beloved friend who was killed by a monster, but dragged away by say elder quetzel so he could use his body to rez say Robert who died a long while ago.

I have the feeling you guys wouldnt like that too much though it doesnt seem to be an issue to anyone right now.
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Well Chris Dueger is like a palladin... there is NOONE in Haven currently that is even close to that. The one person that might have been was corrupted so thats the difference.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL you dont have to be a paladin to think some of the stuff that happens in THE OPEN is BAD. Dueger isnt much of a paladin anyways he is much too chaotic for that. Robert is the paladin.
Chris