A Large Man in an Elven Robe...

Townsmen with the shakes huddle around the glowing embers of what may have been a roaring fire. Speak quick, lest thee be to long in the open!

Moderator: Admin

What do you think of this man?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:59 pm

He is a dumb guy who would sit outside town when there is an Inn.
8%
Robes? Who wears robes? Hes gotta be a Fey.
No votes
Large man? Elf robes? So whats covering the other leg?
33%
Why is there pole here?
33%
Its gotta be a trick, Hes an oger mage right?
25%

Total votes: 12
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

A Large Man in an Elven Robe...

Post by Farbarian »

*Drops a small leather pack and a large box. He leans on a sturdy Shod staff that seems to bend slightly under his weight. He gathers a few medium size rocks and builds a circle. He then digs a two foot deep hole inside the circle. Leaveing his pack and the box by the circle he walks into the wooded area and gathers fallen wood. He then returns to the ring and Builds a little Piramid of sticks. When he finishes he starts chanting and a small ball of flame grows in his hand, as he drops it on the wooden piramid it bursts into flames starting a nice fire. He pulls out a metal grate and places it over the flames as the flame licks at the robes sleaves an his hands he withdraws them unharmed. He sets about pulling jars, vials, Bottles, and smaller boxes foron the large box. After the fire starts to die down a little He places a Large peice of meat on the grate, then sits back as the sun sets smileing to himself.*
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Fear keeps you alive! Regret means your still alive.
Potion maker And Coward.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

A human woman of slight stature approaches. She is garbed in a noble fashion of scarlet and onyx. At her side is a man of middle age and pale blond hair. He seems to be unarmed, but she bears two short swords at her sides. Seeing the unfamiliar face, she smiles and motions for the man at her side to lean in so she can say something to him. His gaze turns to the stranger and he says something to her intently. They speak in hushed voices for a moment before it seems some decision is made, and they approach.

The Lady bows and says by way of greeting. “Hail and well met, stranger to the town of Haven.” She gives the man in elven robes a warm smile. “I see you have fair enough, but there is ale and wine within the Inn if you have need.”

She paused, giving him time to respond if that was his wish.
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

*Riseing from his sitting possition* Greetings ma'lady your regal bearring speaks volumes to me. Your friend how ever is something else. Maybe you would care to share my fire for a bit? I find that the leaders of a land reflect the attitude of the people. *Seems to snif the air a bit Reaches into the flames and pulls out the meat Places it on a wooden plate and slides it in the direction of the shadowy figure* Care to taste it before she? I'd not dare to eat before ma'lady...
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Potion maker And Coward.
Varlen Kal'jura
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Varlen Kal'jura »

*Off to the south of the fire cames walking a man. He nods to Robbin, and Nods to the other man in odd clothing. Than smiles as he stands nearly ten feet away form teh fire. Awaiting an invite to come sit and talk.*

"Greetings Child of the East, and to you as well good sir. Might I sit at your fire for a moment, and hear of tales this place?"
That which we seek form without. Is what we seek form within. An if shall only be found once you understand yourself.
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

*Looks to the lady to, introduce the gentleman to the flame*
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Potion maker And Coward.
Varys Snow
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Varys Snow »

*Varys, after finishing his quiet word with Robin, shakes his head at Varlen and grins.*

"What, no greeting for me, old friend?"

*He turns to the strange man and nods and gives a slight bow.*

"Good evening, sir. How do you fare this evening? I am Varys Snow, Magistrate of the fair town of Haven."

*Varys goes towards the fire and peers intently to get a better look at the man.*

"Cap'n Steel is correct, if you have been eating the same fare on the road for some days, there is good food and drink in the Inn. We thank you for the offer, but we have already eaten this evening. However, we will give you company while you eat, if you so desire."

*He picks the plate up and hands it back to the man and then sits down next to the fire after making sure Robin has a seat. He waves Varlen over.*

"My walking companion," he says gesturing towards Robin, "Is Captain Robin Steel. This other gentleman is Kal'jour Varlen. What brings you to our town this evening?"
Farbarian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Farbarian »

*Hes face is partially hidden by his cowel. You can make out a strong chin with a dark beard peppered with grey. He smiles as he notices your intent and you see a glint of hazel green from his eyes.*

Ah, then I'll finish my meal if you care for none.

*He tears the flesh with his fingers easily with little effort. Placing a peice that would choke a normal human in his mouth, he chews it for a short time then swallows.*

Ah nothing like a good stag to settle the stomach. Are you sure you'll have none?

*Nods the them all in turn.*

I greet you all and welcome your company. I have traveled the wilds for a long time. I wish to join you in the inn but... I am Seldom welcomed...

*Looks to Robin*

I would not presume to speak out of place, but I am unfamiliar to the customs of the area. Where I reside it is the custom to accept gifts when offered and when they are not It leaves me thinking I am not wanted. That your offer to the Inn was just curtisy. So if my fire pleases you, Please stay if you are... Lets say humoring the beggers at the wall. Then please take the road.

*Looks to the sheriff*

I understand I may have insulted the lady you are charged too. I will accept what ever punishment you see fit. But I will not raise armes for words alone.

*To the other man*

Sense you are there friend I'll not accept your offer to challenge. For you entered the fire alone.

*Waits patientlyfor there responses, while finishing his meal. Hes now takeing bites from the meat*
Jarl Garin
Master healer
Potion maker And Coward.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

For a long moment Robin regarded the man before her. Life in Haven had taught her caution, especially of those seeming fair. Too readily had she taken people at face value, only to learn of their true, and often unseemly, nature later. However, as she had a duty to honor, she took up a second plate near at hand and held out to him.

“Understand, good traveler, that you are in a place populated by many peoples of many lands. We are all unique, and true to our own ways. If slight was taken, be assured that none was at all meant.” She gave him a nod, showing her willingness to accept his fair. “Here, where food may be scarce at times, we merely did not wish to exhaust your supplies when there was not need. It was out of respect, not lack of it, that my companion spoke.” She took gladly the meat offered and began to eat, lightly. Her jade eyes found his and she said soberly, “Food is precious here, not to be taken if there is not true need. You will soon come to understand that, should you choose to remain.”

When she finished, Robin tilted her head to one side, weighing her next words. There was a light in her gaze, and a wry smile on her lips. “We do not humor beggars here, sir. We aid them as we can, help them make a life where all else is wilderness. Do not mistake my greeting as that which is given to all who come here. Mostly, these days, I keep to myself and am little about. Whether by luck or chance, you have come at the hour I take my evening walk, nothing more. Good Varys is my eldest of friends, and Kal’Jura too. They keep my care whilst my Duke is otherwise occupied.”

She signed and set aside the plate, looking tired for a moment. Her brows furrowed and she seemed sad. When she spoke, it was softly. “Why would you assume we are so uncivilized that penance would be forthcoming for acting in a way not in the least bit violent, and only as you felt proper?”

She sought the newcomer’s eyes once more, a kind of intensity in her own. “Believe me when I say that in Haven, you will find folk who are trying with all their power to build a peaceful, lawful, and bountiful future. We look for a place to…” she paused and her hand went to her stomach, a soft smile on her face, “raise our children, tend our lands, and find home when all else is lost.”

She took a deep breath, for this was more talking than she had done in weeks. “Please, I would beg you to be understanding, for few may know your customs, nor you theirs. We are all striving to understand one another, and see brotherhood in such diversity.” This time a bright smile lit her face, all the seriousness seeming to have gone.

“But enough of such things. Be made welcome and know that, if my by grace alone, you will be made welcome here. I would hear of your travels, for so long as you are of good intention and willing spirit, you may call Haven home for as long as you like.” She took a bottle of wine from her pouch, and two simple goblets. “Drink with me?” She paused, “Only if you like, I will take no slight if you do not.” The golden haired woman gave him a wink and poured the dark red wine, handing him a glass.

“As noble Varys said, I am Robin, the Captain Steel, and soon to be Duchess of these lands. If there is anything which I might do for you, please but speak and I shall do as I might.”
Varys Snow
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Varys Snow »

*After the man speaks and while Robin replies, Varys crosses his arms in front of him as his eyes narrow and his jaw sets. He says a quick, quiet word to Robin before turning back to the man.*

"Captain Steel has spoken well and good as the soon-to-be Duchess should. Now I will speak as the Magistrate should." *He pauses a few heartbeats before speaking again and his eyes never leave the eyes of the man before him.*

"The only one here tonight that mentioned anything of challenge by either word, deed or stance is yourself. We are not in your lands, so your customs matter not to me as Magistrate of Haven. What does matter to me are our laws here in Haven. They will be followed. One of those laws is that you do not assault another member of our town. If you do, you will be brought up on charges and brought before me." *Another few heartbeats go by as he lets that sink in.*

"While you are a guest here in Haven, you are protected under our laws as if you were a citizen. You are also subject to them. The laws are posted in town for all to read. If you cannot read our language, there are many people around who would be happy to read them to you. Anyone you see wearing a red sword is a member of the Town Watch, I would recommend one of them read it to you if you need that service.

"If I offended you by not eating your fare, I do apologize. I instead offered you the chance for company while you ate as you seemed to be traveling alone and you threw that right back in my face. But understand that my concern for your hurt feelings ends at that apology. If I were you, I would go read our laws before you do much anything else, because your customs and feelings matter not a whit when it comes to any of our laws you may break. I hope I have made myself clear.

"Now, before we continue this discussion, I would have your name, sir, as I have given you ours already."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*A unicorn-headed man in white robes approaches the fire, nodding to anyone who meets his eyes. He sits near the blaze, gazing off into the wilderness.*
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Walking by the fire pit, a young woman carry two shortswords looks on. She is covered in dirt as if she has been working hard at something. She appears exhausted and those that know her can tell something is bothering the woman.*

*She looks at the stranger and then turns her attention to Robin and Varys.*

Robin, Varys is this stranger givin' ya any problems? Is all ok, or shall I linger around for a bit?

Also lookin' for a Donovan or a Claude, but hopefully the good Constable has already spoken with them about what all happened awhile ago out at the fishing village.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

Robin remained quiet while Varys spoke. She knew that he would always do what he felt right for Haven, and for her. He always had. His seeming cold was derived from a life spent protecting that about which he cared most, and serving ideals greater than himself. She only hoped that the newcomer would see that.

When she saw Dallid, she gave him a warm smile and waved him over to the group, hoping he would join them. She had not seen him in some time, and missed his company.

At the approach of the familiar woman, Robin jumped up and gave the woman a hug. To Kidwynn’s question she replied, “No trouble at all, save that Varys is informing our new friend of the Laws of Haven. Would you like to join us? I’ve missed you, my friend.” The look in Robin’s eyes told her friend that she meant it.

Robin sat back down, hands folded in her lap, eyes turning back to the man in elven garb. “As Varys said, the Laws are posted, so you need not wonder what stands as order here. If you need anyone to make them more clear to you, I know he’d be more than willing to help.” She gave the blonde man a smile. “There’s nothing to fear, so long as you bring no evil with you here. We’re all just hard working folk trying to make a bright future.” Her tone was light, soft; a counter balance to Varys’ matter-of-factness.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn returns the hug in kind, but Robin can tell there is no joy in her expression at all as if whatever is on her mind is bothering her quite a bit. Realizing her behavior, Kidwynn gives Robin a smile to let her know that whatever it is, it is not her.*

Sure, I wouldn't mind sittin' with the two of ya. There wouldn't by any chance be some rum or something involved in this little discussion perhaps.

*Looks around*

Is Kels about?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Varlen Kal'jura
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Varlen Kal'jura »

*When the man in robes offers a place near the fire. Valren moves quickly to take a set nearest to it. He smiles and bows his head to each as they come to the fire. But when Varys gives him a verbal jab, he shakes he head. Then digs into his nap sack. He pulls out a small case iron pan, some oils, and dried items. He looks at the man in robes and smiles.*

"It would be an honor to par take in some of your meat. I would like to try this meat. For I am not form here as well. It is true I know the Child of the East, and Varys as well. But I shall bring anger to this fire. For it does not help anyone of us. It would only make bridges harder to form and drive away old ties if anger is opened in this place. So might I cook some of this meat for you and the other?"

*At this point and time if the meat is giving or not. Valren stand ups and puts forth a hand toward the in robes.*

"Greetings good sir I am sorry to have not introduced myself befoer this point. I am Valren Kal'Jour of the house of the Sapphire Thorn, and Keeper of my Ka'lef San'Draco, Sol'jour of his right hand, and Noku'fa of the Scared Fist of the Emerald Dawns. But if you wish I would be honored to just be called Kal'Jour. It makes things more managible with in this new land. For they are not use to my Ka'lef customs as well. And might I have your name as well?"

*Valren awaits for a reply with a smile on his face. As Varys starts to speak he looks back to his bag, reaches into it once more and bring forth a pearl shelled bottle. Than tosses it to Varys with a grin.*

"Here you go I still owed you that bottle form the last time I seen you. But remember it has a meaning with it. For it is meant to be a pass around a fire an a way to get folks to tell tales. So that all can come together and learn to build a better union."

*Once Dallid comes into light Valren almost looks as if he was gone to reach for something in his nap sack. Than he turns and wathces how Robbin react to this Eswashi. That was enough relax his thought. At this point he turns to Dallid and bows.*

"Greeting's Eswashi I am sorry but I have not seen one of your kind in many many suns."

*Than he looks at Varys with a very odd look.*

"Varys youhad not told me of the Eswashi bring them selves to this place. It would have been nice to know. I shall have to make sure that the Ka'lef is aware of them. He would be most please to learn of this."

*Once they atart talking about the laws pulls out a scroll of vellium hands it to the man in robes.*

"These are the laws of this place if you can read. I mean no insult if you can not. For neither can I read it would be against the laws form where I hail form. It would also get me killed if I were to learn them as well. But I have to ask about something Vary's! You known as an object of my Ka'lefs and that I have not been granted my freedom as thus far. So how does that effect your laws here. For as a Sol'jur I am nothing more than a object of great worth to a Ka'lef. So can one be granted the title of Fremon here? If not than what happens if I am abused by something or someone else?"

*Once the topic of a challenge Valren jsut shiftes his head. Than brings out a few small cups no bigger than a 1" around and 3" tall. Once he get them out and hands them around the fire. He looks at Varys with a bewild look.*

"Vary's if you would it is a time of drink, a time of sharing, an a time to resound in making new friends. It is not how ever a time of challenges and bewild statements of laws. Those should be cast aside for now so that folks can come together. Like I stated earlier I am not here to bring anger. I am here to only bring an understanding of things. So that all bridges can be made whole and new friendsships can start to grow."

*At this point Valren stops and awaits for teh others to start talking.*
That which we seek form without. Is what we seek form within. An if shall only be found once you understand yourself.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

*Faces Varlen as he addresses him.*

Would you define for me the word 'eswashi', please?
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.