Arcane

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Arcane

Post by Donmayo »

I have been thinking about Arcane, and sage. Personally I find it silly that living in a world that has not seen the type of magic we are casting in thousands of years, we are required to have research to find old spells. I see magic as us trying to create new spells by trial and error, and less of looking for someone else’s work.

Also there should be something at each lv, other than you can cast this lv spell. Something that is free now, but could be restricted. Here is what I have come up with so far, and this is a rough draft.

Arcane
lv 1
Read Magic: you cannot read magic with out this skill. With out it magic (like in most systems) appears to be a bunch of wiggly lines on paper.

lv 2
Write magic: Allows you to copy spells from one book to another. With out this skill you cannot copy spells.

lv 3
Research magic: Allows you to spend down time researching a new spell up to your level of Arcane.
- Example of how this works
-3rd lv arcane = you could get one 3rd lv spell OR
one second and one first lv spell OR
three 1st lv spells

lv 4
Join: Ever spell past 4th lv requires at least one arcane of 4th lv. They are the center and control the spell. Once joined with them, only the center has the power to separate the others. Any damage taken by one in the circle is taken by all.
(I do not know if these spells still exist and this is simply an idea)
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

BTW, if it is simply a way to get a character to spend 20 points on a basic path skill, perhaps the wording could be changed in research,
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I think it's appropriate to have research be required. Especially with alchemy and arcane. Part of research would be the actual physical research of things but some of it would need to be books and such. Otherwise there should be a chance that you blow yourself up or turm yourself to stone or something like that.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Which is why it should be part of their perspective skills, not a seprate skill. Hence putting it in as a lv 2 or 3 of the skill.
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Having only briefly looked over the descriptions of research and arcane, I don't really see what the problem is with forcing an arcane to have research to learn new spells.

From what little I do know, I thought phantara originally had only one magic (simlar if not exactly what arcanes are) so thus techinically no one is 'creating' new spells, merely re-learning very old ones. So ultimately, it is researching 'old lore'.

Ultimately, as long as both arcane and alchemy need it (or don't), I could care less. It's 20 pts, not much to worry about in the grand scheme. Heck, I had to spend 20pts to throw a rock.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

what you propose actually has several problems.

1) You are creating a discipline which has 5 different skills vrs 4. Some may say you have a discipline with 8 different skills.

2) What is the point of having a path if the discipline takes care of everything you need.

There is suppose to be a difference between a warrior arcane, and empath arcane, and a sage arcane.

Empath arcanes can create magic upkeep from mystic research which can in turn be used to fuel magic items. I see empath arcanes kinda like sorcers in D&D. You dont actually create anything new but learn from what you pick up along the way.

Sage arcanes are those traditional wizards. You should be a scholar if you want to create something new that is outside the system.

Another issue is you are getting to caught up in the term "research" We could call it something else that sounds less like reading books.

Oh and then there is the whole we dont want 10000000000000000000000000 research requests from everyone.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Think of the skill as Research/Experimentation
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!