Question about my Character sheets

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

healer has both use shield and Combat reflexes as basic level swap outs.

Sage has combat reflexes at advanced level, and can swap for both use shield and duel weild at basic, warrior cant swap for duel weild. :?

actually, because it could mimic for CR and have the charge up i would say that Sage would be a good second fighter aside from warrior, if specced for it, wich i asume is the point and i think its cool, thats why my alt is a sage. :)

rouge is still ahead of the curve on damage with a good charge up and duel weapons.

and as for the dip into another class as a warrior for damage. . .I do already, though i wish i didnt have too :roll:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

If the skills of warrior doesn't fit your concept, there are several other paths to choose from, INCLUDING Jack of all trades that lets you mix and match from lower tier skills.
Thats the problem, they arent building a skill set to support a RP concept, they are powerbuilding a deadly ninja cyborg death machine to be bad asses in combat, and then paper macheting a story around it to make it seem like a PC concept. Thats why all the focus on who can do the most damage.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

. . .i would apreciate it if people would not asume that because some of us optimise our builds we cant, wont, are incapable of Role Playing. it does not matter how good or crappy your build is, if you cant RP your way out of a paper bag it does not make a difference

for instance, i actually know altearez and have talked with him, he knows so much of the lore going back into the carps lore. he did nothing but read when he was getting into this game, and has a very deep and long history behind his character.

did that stop him from making an effective fighter character? nope.

i have a great love of any character i make, and put alot of thought into there motivations, reasoning, even so far as to how they might slouch, sit, walk, run, etc.

for instance, my most favorite character Ark, only uses one long sword, i have the ability to both duel weild, and use a shield, and knowing full well in my head that my damage or deffence would go up if i did, i refuse, because its not what the character would do.

i love rule and mechanics discussion becuase they are just that, i like talking about the fine details, the math, the rules. i join in these discussions not only for myself or familly, but so that any new people that come and play are able to have a fun and ballanced game
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Who are these people you are refering to? Who are these people who are powerbuilding for the sake of just being a high damage monsters? Trust me, jack of all trades is the weakest path of them all for a power build.

It is normal to focus on certain skills that you want your character to be good at. If you play a character who is really great at using magic, you are going to make it so their build allows them to facilitate that character concept.

No body here has the right to judge other peoples character concept. Just because from the outside it looks like a powerbuild it does not mean that said person does not have a great story or concept.

And even if they don't it doesn't matter. To each their own. Who are we to judge?
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Salvatore_Tenhammers »

Gamers tell you what their character can do.

Role-players tell you what their character did.
If you want it we got it. If we don't got it, we'll get it.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Salvatore_Tenhammers wrote:Gamers tell you what their character can do.

Role-players tell you what their character did.
thats not true, i am a fantastic gamer, awsome table toper, and okay role player.
and i never tell anyone what i can do out of lack of trust or suspicion, and im always braging about shit i did :lol: :lol:
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Warriors have def matrix..best soak skill in game.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Leo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Leo »

Zeira, how can you say Jack of all trades is the weakest path, have you played one?

I can build one of the sickest Characters in the game with it, when it matures it'll wipe the floor with most people.

It's by far the most versatile Paths in the game, even without the master path skills, and the switchout skills; they can still take more skills then anyone in the game.

As far as roleplaying being an issue with Epic Character Builds I don't even see a common link. If the player can't RP worth anything, their build won't save them from the PC base eatting them for breakfast with Bacon Cake. That and if they get caught with an NPC that the only way to get out of a dangerous situation is to RP, their screwed.

Ok, and adding a Rogue skill to Warrior is, I'm sorry for attacking this idea, but very dumb. If a person wants to be a rogue, maybe they soulda thought about it befor playing a warrior. Maybe considerd the Jack of all Trades approach. This would restrict the Warrior to Med. Armor anyway, plus its not even like it's a simaler skill to Critical strike! It's the exact same thing! It's a 50lbs of fethers, 50lbs of bricks Idea. Their both gonna do the exact same thing.
Leo Edanis of Geldaland

¤º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„ ¸Free to do what I want Forever!! º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ ¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I want people to build cyber ninja death machines mechanically and then RP in the game. :)

I max/min my stuff all the time, and I RP. I do this becauce I dont want to be limited mechanically when I might need to be heroic.

For example, I play an old dude and as such I move slow and I dont fight as well as I once did. I RP this out by fighting poorly in battle. I do not amstring myself mechanially, since I as a player enjoy being heroic when it counts for scene. Therefore when the time is right adrenialin hits my guy and he has a famous stand fighting off a bunch of monsers in true cyborg ninja style.

Thats how I like to do it. Some people might not like that idea but to each their own.
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Playing or not playing a certain class does not make eyour opinion more or less valid. That is all.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Wow had an idea of a Barbarian War chief.

Mechanically I take Rogue/Diplomat and go privlege. I swing a giant 2 handed hammer and speak like Orc.
Chris
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Jack of all Trades does not get more abilities than any other path. It gets 7 Basic and 5 Advanced and no access to the Heroes and Villains expansion. So you are essentially trading 4 Master level abilities for 3 basic and 1 advanced. That's not a good trade off in my mind. But if it fits your character concept than more power to you.

But if you think that you can mop the floor with that build you are mistaken. You won't have the soak or defensive abilities to hang in melee like the Warrior because you don't have Parry. Your ranged attacks pale in comparison to the Empath as far as versatilty ( Sleep, Shatter, and Magic Fear) and damage (No 15 or 30 boom). In a support role you lack the essential skills that are always in demand (Recall, Decipher Script, Mend the Body, Gather Essence, Identify Magic Item, Surgery,..etc) .

Even in the PVP department it's not looking good as a Warrior/Man at Arms is pretty much your bane in any kind of stand up fight...or really any kind of one on one fight. The Rouge has you beat on the surprise kind of fight.

If you want to be versatile and useful I would like to recommend Sage. They can have every basic level ability or first level discipline ability in 5 minutes. They have access to a critical strike and knockout. They can also wear heavy armor so they can stand up in a fight.

But that's just my opinion. I'm partial to Sage because I had a lot of fun playing one for years due to their versatility. I combined with Pikeman and was able to hang in most fights. I also got first crack at puzzles and books because of my Recall and Decipher Script skills. I could figure out other players builds when I Augmented them.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Deffensive Matris is a horible skill, heres why.

you have NO offensive, and slightly more deffensive. unless you took absolutly no damage from anything at wich point it would even out, as it stands right now you would just be in at best, a slow decline towards death.

if you cant win a fight or beat a monster what is cutting all offense so you can live slightly longer going to do?

i relise some people LOVE this skill, i also understand it can be situationally usefull. but the idea of cutting all your offensive ability to nothing while still being able to take damage is a lose lose situation.

as for jack of all trades. . .not worth it, end of story :roll:

as for playing or not playing a certain class effecting the validation of your opinion. . .it should, thats how it works in real life. if your on the verge of death and a doctor and a janitor walk over, both saying they know whats wrong. . . i think i know which one im going with. :)
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

If that's the case than all the FH GM's are unfit to speak on any of these rules as they have not played the game in years.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i actually had a long post on here defending the GM's and such, but decided we have derailed this topic so much from the original topic that i could not do it anymore.

so, back to warrior.

acutally i have a question for the GM's, as this question WAS implimented so there had to be a reason behind it :roll:

WHAT/WHY was the reason for changing the rouge crit strike from 3 per level to 4?

everyone is yelling about raising damage and i cant help but stand in aww and point a rouge :roll: