Nicholson point system

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am really alright for people writing me a check for 1 character point per dollar.

Infact if someone just donated us 100 acres of land i will make he/she king of the universe
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

if you give WH 50 acre u can be the king of FH too.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I bid 40 acres
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

okay, they can give wh 40. that's fine.

:)
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I don't agree with the reward for NPCing, only because there is already a reward. I think getting free levels is more than worth NPCing, and heck, I haven't even used any of mine yet.
I am not suggestion 4 levels AND points, I am suggesting points INSTEAD of levels, and allow the player to use it for levels if they WANT to. That way if they NPC for a year and return to play thier PC and that PC gets killed and they have the option to use it to buy off chips (if its on the list of purchases), get a full ressurection (if its on the list of purchases), or just buy levels for a new PC. That gives a player that had shown dedication and effort more flexability in what they are rewarded with.

and also helping players who would not have been able to make it otherwise get to the event.
player

A reward for providing rides might not be a bad idea. The ride-needing player would need to PM a GM and have the GM post a request, and have the volunteer reply to the GM/staff member to be sure the point rewardsa for this were trackable and not just me giving a ride to someone 2 minutes away that I would have given a ride to anyhow, and getting points for it.

LARPs require a lot of props and supplies to run but usually the staff has a handle on it.
While I agree that staff does a fairly good job at having what they need, part of the reason I ahave suggested this system is that they seem to have barely what they need at a minimum, and that they would greatly benefit from an influx of quality donations. It also eliminates the staff spending their own cash and time, since they already devote more of that than I feel is fair to ask them to do.

or maybe even helping the staff with new players if there is an abundance.
Having a "Newbie Marshel" or three, whose task it was to inspect newbiw gear for safety, help them build thier PC and PC backstory, educate them on the dritical calls and safe fighting is a great idea; and totaly worth rewarding.

I can see Heidi's concern when it comes to using money and points to get an edge over other players by abusing a system.

The system cannot be abused unless the GMs/staff allow it to be since the staff can always refuse a donation. Most LARPs have a needs list that they will give meaty rewards for as far as props and such, anythiong else is evaluated on a case by case basis and runs the risk of being turned down.

NERO has been doing this for years and have but some restrictions in place to help prevent it.

Well I am not suggesting a system that has no restrictions or failsafes, thats just common sense and therefore I didnt think it needed to be stated.

What they do is only allow you to spend 1 "Blanket" of points per event. It makes it so you can't spend a bunch of money and come in as a deity.

That may be a local chapter rule. or something new from National, but when I played they allowed as many blankets as you could afford for any month that had passed since you last played. Missed 5 months and have the points, here are your level ups sir/miss.

Since they is almost no chance for magic items on the purchase list should the system get ratified, there is no way in the FH system to someone come in as a god/overpowering PC. You could hand someone a level 200 Pc at FH and he/she would be killable by half of the other PCs in game already. The GMs have worked hard to eliminate that town killing PC build issue that can happen at Carps, Shifted Lands, kind of at NERO, and other LARPs.

This prevents a flooding of items to NPC camp.

What actualy prevents the flooding of monster camp will be the GMs/staff responsible for donations saying "no thanks" to donation not posted as a "need".

Also it is good to keep points separate for each chapter.
The reason NERO doesnt throw all the points in one pool is because each chapter is its own business. Its not set up as a safegard, but there are chapters that do allow goblin stamps(which is what they called it when I played two decades ago) to be used from different chapters.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

This is an example of the type of quality donations that would mean awesome props for the staff to have access to:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-3 ... skull.aspx

" beware or I will use my skull of destruction to kill the queen!"

*insert maniacal laugh here*

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I am really alright for people writing me a check for 1 character point per dollar.
Thats actually the standard ratio of most donation NOT on the "we really need this stuff" list. Those things often get a better ration.

The control comes in what you price the purchasables at. What dollar value do the GMs and staff feel 4 leves are worth (considering to get them you have to spend 30 dollars or NPC for a weekend/one day), or for a potion, or for a PC rewrite and such? If they feel donation totaling 1000.00 warrents a ressurection, then the ressurection is set at 1000 Nicholson points and its up to the players to save up.

Generally the point costs are set a little high to prevent abuse AND foster donations and volunteerism.

Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

What if a PC chooses to donate a bunch of weapons at FH and then get a free event at WH or vice versa? It's not fair to the people running those games. That is why it is best to keep points seperate.

A limit to how many points can be spent is definately important. It prevents people from abusing the system. I don't think it would go over well if people just started running in with a bunch of potions or resources all at one time. Also it limits the amount of gear a new PC's character can start with in regards to points.

I wrote up a chart. I'll post it later today.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LARPs require a lot of props and supplies to run but usually the staff has a handle on it.
Who are you?

NPC camp's weapons are in horrible shape and we barely have spell packets. Every piece of anything we have was donated. We only have costuming because we got very very very lucky with someone who worked in a theater department and they were cleaning out stuff.

At this particular moment finances are not in the best of shape so there is absolutely no money to buy the gear. I live in Iowa so I am not making any. Mike has 3 children 1 of which is special needs. Then you have Jared who is working on all paper work and is planning a wedding.

We have no time and no money and are stuff is crap, though I am impressed we have created the illusion that we are handling it.[/quote]
Chris
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

NERO has been doing this for AGES... course... in their game you CAN pay to become a bad ass.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Reward Points

Reward points can be used at specific chapters to purchase things for your characters. Listed below is a list of things you can donate to the staff and how many points you can recieve. The game staff will often have a list of items that they are looking for and before donating it is best to PM one of them to check their needs.

One Handed Weapon, Bladed or Claw--------200
One Handed Weapon, Headed----------------250
Two Handed Weapon, Bladed----------------300
Two Handed Weapon, Headed----------------400
Fist or Dagger----------------------------------100
Polearm------------------------------------------400
Shields--------------------------------------------500
Bows---------------------------------------------750
Arrows-------------------------------------------100
Armor--------------------------------------------Varies
Packets-------------------------------------------25 each

Tabards------------------------------------------250 and up
Shirts--------------------------------------------250 and up
Cloaks--------------------------------------------400 and up
Robes---------------------------------------------400 and up
Masks---------------------------------------------200 and up
Prosthetics (Nose, Teeth, Horns, Ears, etc_---200 and up
Make up------------------------------------------200 per 2 OZ and up

Tarps--------------------------------------------200
Storage Bins----------------------------------300

NPC for one full day or more--------------------1000
NPC for the entire event------------------------1500

Cash---------------------------------------------50 per $1

Redemption of Points

Grab Bag, Minor---------300
Grab Bag, Medium----------500
Grab Bag, Major-------------1000

Resources

Basic--------------------------100
Uncommon---------------------125
Mystic-------------------------150
Commodities-------------------300
Weapon-------------------------200
Piece of Armor------------------250
Quality Armor ------------------ 750 per location
Exotic Items--------------------1000 (NO Locking Gauntlets or Form Fitting Armor)

Potions
Lvl 1------------------------100
Lvl 2------------------------200
Lvl 3------------------------400
Lvl 4------------------------600

Resurrection-----------------4000 (Needs GM approval)
4 Levels--------------------------------1000
$10 off an Event--------------------1500

Edit: For spelling and change in point cost for event price deduction
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

What if a PC chooses to donate a bunch of weapons at FH and then get a free event at WH or vice versa?
1) Why is it not fair if thats whats agreed on?
2) It all tends to balance out when someone donates a crap load of costuming to WH and uses the points for a free FH event.

A limit to how many points can be spent is definately important. It prevents people from abusing the system.

No what keeps the system form abused is the staff only taking donations that are needed and requested, of significant benifit/of unique nature (wow that will be awesome for the plot we are planning/already running!!) if it wasnt requested, or not something they have pleanty of an not overstocked on (weapon physreps, costuming, magis and non magic item phys reps, make up...once the donations have been rolling in a few events).

I don't think it would go over well if people just started running in with a bunch of potions or resources all at one time.
Pcs do that already, they are just doing it every event with skills. The point system makes it all one shot deals, and as REWARDS to those that have helped out the game. so they should get a small bonus, and if you think that a bunch of weapons, armor, rescources will REALLY matter in game, your overvaluing the ingame items.

Reward Points

Reward points can be used at specific chapters to purchase things for your characters. Listed below is a list of things you can donate to the staff and how many points you can recieve. The game staff will often have a list of items that they are looking for and before donating it is best to PM one of them to check their needs

You should be careful how ya post, a player that doesnt know better, or is new might think your posting something offical rather than your suggestions.

One Handed Weapon, Bladed or Claw--------200
One Handed Weapon, Headed----------------250
Two Handed Weapon, Bladed----------------300
Two Handed Weapon, Headed----------------400
Fist or Dagger----------------------------------100
Polearm------------------------------------------400
Shields--------------------------------------------500
Bows---------------------------------------------750
Arrows-------------------------------------------100
Armor--------------------------------------------Varies
Packets-------------------------------------------25 each

Tabards------------------------------------------250 and up
Shirts--------------------------------------------250 and up
Cloaks--------------------------------------------400 and up
Robes---------------------------------------------400 and up
Masks---------------------------------------------200 and up
Prosthetics (Nose, Teeth, Horns, Ears, etc_---200 and up
Make up------------------------------------------200 per 2 OZ and up

Tarps--------------------------------------------200
Storage Bins----------------------------------300

NPC for one full day or more--------------------1000

your point values are about 10 X to much.

Just straight cash? Id say no, but I guess I can see the staff allowing it. but the ratio here is WAY off. Cash should be the LEAST effective way to get points, not the MOST effective.

Redemption of Points

Grab Bag, Minor---------300
Grab Bag, Medium----------500
Grab Bag, Major-------------1000

Resources

Basic--------------------------100
Uncommon---------------------125
Mystic-------------------------150
Commodities-------------------300
Weapon-------------------------200
Piece of Armor------------------250
Quality Armor ------------------ 750 per location
Exotic Items--------------------1000 (NO Locking Gauntlets or Form Fitting Armor)

Potions
Lvl 1------------------------100
Lvl 2------------------------200
Lvl 3------------------------400
Lvl 4------------------------600
Should only be allowed to be done before an event.

Why not these when balanced armor is ok?

Resurrection-----------------4000 (Needs GM approval)
Should be allowed to use your points at EITHER/ANY chapter
$10 off an Event--------------------1500
sooo..i need to spend $30 to get $10 off of an event?

so if i NPC for 2 events I can get the same amount of levels it would take 3 events of NPCing to earn now?

Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

So this is just a rough draft...Constructive suggestions are welcome. If anyone thinks that some of the point values should be modifies please post what you think they should be.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I think you should steer away from cash and purchased items. You should reward labor, not how much money the player makes.

There's a difference between someone purchasing a cloak on e-bay VS someone spending time sewing it. Donating a tarp VS painting it to look like a cave wall.

We all have talents, we don't all have spare cash.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

So this is just a rough draft...Constructive suggestions are welcome. If anyone thinks that some of the point values should be modifies please post what you think they should be.
I was just asking since you said you had a list, and I just assumed you had done some math to make sure it was somewhat balanced.
I didnt see the point in suggestion point values since I know theGMs will determine that and just tell us what they are.

I think you should steer away from cash and purchased items. You should reward labor, not how much money the player makes.

There's a difference between someone purchasing a cloak on e-bay VS someone spending time sewing it. Donating a tarp VS painting it to look like a cave wall.
True not everyone has spare cash, but not everyone has spare time either. Rejecting all purchased items is unfair to people WITH the cash and not the free time or skills needed to hand craft things.
However, I do NOT want a system that benefits a computer programmer that brings in 80 to 100k a year and ignores the teacher who makes less but can still be as much or more of a supporter in non cash avenues.
That is why I stated that the rewards should be leaner on the donations that are less about effort and more about cash on hand.