Seige Weapons

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

My current understanding is that ALL weapons do base 1 damage and that their are no exceptions to this. If this is something that is being considered for the off season then cool beans, but if a siege engine is to be used at the November event then according to the GM's decree that the rules would not change till the off season it would only do 1 damage (unless being used by a raging warrior or a 4th level undead hunter in which case it would get more damage because its a blunt weapon)

(Wow is that corny to think about. Im raging...so my catapult now does 2 damage!! RAR!!)
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Rage only works with melee weapons.

But an archer could use the catapault to do 12 vorpal!

Since when did Nelkie have 'free' time? I know he is allowed to do things while Kelly isn't looking but have never heard of free time. :D
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

WORD!

...and archer specifically states bows and crossbows...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

d00d, it was a joke...
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Alendark wrote:according to the GM's decree that the rules would not change till the off season
We never had rules for seige weapons to begin with. We should have seen it coming with Nelkie as a player :) What we need to do is come up with some temp rules for the event and then review the outcome in the off-season.

I would put seige weapons in a whole new catagory seperate from melee weapons and other ranged weapons. What are peoples thoughts on requirements to use one? Should there be a discipline requirement like there is for bows? I am also in favor of a load time to prevent injury.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Actually, I thought that you guys ruled that anyone could use a bow but to do vorpal, extra damage, or magic you needed to have the Archer discipline.

There should definitely be a load time.
We never had rules for seige weapons to begin with. We should have seen it coming with Nelkie as a player
This coming from the guy that built a trebuchet to bring to events. :D
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Sure, anyone can pick up a bow and arrow and shoot, but can anyone fire a catapult?

I'm thinking catapult should be a team-based thing, with each additional person dedicated to the catapult cutting down on load time and perhaps uping damage - four people can carry a larger boulder than a single person.

Say, a boulder has a five minute load time and a base 10 Crush. Each additional person knocks off 30 seconds off the load time and adds 5 Crush to the boulder.

Grapeshot could be base 1 and 30 second load time per projectile. Each additional person adds one to the per projectile damage and cuts 30 seconds off the total load time. Say have a team of four and dump ten packets into the catapult. Each projectile will do 4 damage and they can be launched in three minutes.

I would think at least one member of the team should probably have a seige weapon ability. Construction of a seige weapon might also require this ability, in conjunction with craftsmen doing the construction.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Seige Weapons

Post by Nelkie »

I don't like the idea of have to have a skill to use a seige weapon. It will not be used very often and it can not be carried around on adventures. It is for town defense against 1,000 Silver Thorn Troops and to bring a new element of fun into the game.
I do like the idea of having mulitple people working a seige weapon and certain load times.
To keep it simple have a minum number of people to work a seige engine than a set amount of time it takes to load it based on the projectile.

Grap shot - 10-15 damage (60 count)
Boulders - 15-30 Crush (180 count)

Simple and straight fowrad. I agree with Wayne we should come up with some basic rules and play test them in November and tweak them as needed in the off session.

I tested the catapult is it could fling packets about 40 feet. I'm trying to keep the power down so I don't hurt anyone when they get hit.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Robin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Robin »

I'm with Aaron on the discipline thing. I mean, who want's a skill that can only be used once, MAYBE twice an event if that? It's not like you're gonna carry it around all day with you on the off chance you get to use it. I say if you have archery then you have the thoeretical know how to take that next step,
"Is misery made beautiful, right before our eyes?
Will mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I believe engineers ran the catapults of old, so maybe a seige weapon team has to include a craftsman? Someone who can warn people against cutting the wrong rope or standing on the arm when firing?
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

We talk about alot of things, but we rule on almost nothing.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Re: RE

Post by dier_cire »

GM_Chris wrote:We talk about alot of things, but we rule on almost nothing.

Chris
for some reason I find this amusing... :lol:
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Re: RE

Post by Curufin »

dier_cire wrote:
GM_Chris wrote:We talk about alot of things, but we rule on almost nothing.

Chris
for some reason I find this amusing... :lol:
Hahaha...I just told Chris the same thing.
Lost my train of thought.....
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Does anyone realize that siege weapons are for attacking (sieging) walled structures and NOT for defending wall less towns?

Does anyone really think the use of one or even two such things would have any significant effect when attacked by 1000 troops that can see the weapon?

If they are allowed, they should absolutely require a discipline to use effectively. The crews that used them were drilled in trajectory calculation, moving the beast as rapid as possible to change line of fire, reloading, et cetera. I also feel the suggestion that a team, of up to four people, is needed for them to be do significant damage is a good one, and realistic. If taking a skill to use a weapon the way its intended is a hassle, don’t use the weapon.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Reality doesnt really factor into decsions hehe

I mean we have magic.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them