Witch Hunter

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Witch Hunter

Post by Donmayo »

I think they need Sense magic. I noticed at the last event there were people who were playing some variation of withch hunter who thought they could use sense magic, and I was like, uh unless you are a empath, I don't think anyone else can sense magic. I may be wrong on that, but I don't see anyone else who can sense.

Any way I prepose in the off season the gm-people look over that discpline and consider swaping out "vigor" for sense magic.

I don't think it is that powreful, so at lv 2 it fits in good.

Otherwise everything else in it looks good.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Not a bad idea, because it gets rid of a combo of taking witch hunter for the extra LP.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

One issue is that we have not decided who has magic in them or not in this game.

I mean it is apparent when an empath holds a boom that they are a mage or when an arcane starts a circle. Almost seems like cheating to give the witch hunter sense magic.

Infact perhaps we shouldnt have sence magic in the game hmmmmmmm

Chris
Chris
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Missing the unfair/ cheating part? You lost me. Why would it be unfair to be able to sense an empathy / arcane and know they are one? I mean 90% of the character let slip what they can do w/in their first session. There are of course always those who try to keep it secret, which reasoning eludes me unless you are playing something like an assassin or dead eater, which no one in games actually seems to mind, so even then I am lost at to reason to hide it. But to each his own, live in your secret world. I do know one thing that I have learned via rping is that if you want to be involved, you tell people why you are useful, which usually entails your class or discipline.

Anyway

I think of Empaths as dnd Sorcery, or natural mages. They are able to draw directly from the weave, harnessing it to do their bidding.

Where as I see arcana’s and the old fashion wizards. On their own they are pretty much powerless, but over generations and time they have found ways to steal power from the weave, perhaps this process is harmful perhaps not, just depends on who you ask. They take their skills and write them down so they can recall how to force the weave to do their bidding, via words of power or semantics, or what ever = spell books. Sometimes they create magic items in order to help them draw the power with more ease.

This explains why it takes a mage 30 min to cast a fire circle and an Empath 60 seconds to do a 30 magic attack.

Both are creatures of magic. Both would radiate as magic, as they spend their lives working with the stuff, "its filth permeates their filthy rotting infested flesh like the evil..." uh sorry that last part was my witch hunter side, get back in there…

Anyway I don't see a reason why it could not be a useful skill. And part of that usefulness would be to aid Witch hunters in looking for unnatural things (excluding themselves of course...)

Idea, add to discipline descriptions "radiate as magic". Then you can pick and choose which ones do and which ones don't. Make sense be able to tell what a person who radiates as magic what their "magic" type discipline is. This is of course a rough idea and would need more input.
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I dont mean cheating as in they are breaking some rule. It just seems too easy to give them sence magic. I guess I dont understand the need for empiricle evidence. Seems like alot of people want empericle evidence when making a decision when you dont really need one. On the other hand a witch hunter has a TON of evidence like when an empath holds a glowing ball of magic over their head. If I was a radical freaky witch hunter and I walked into town and looked at eli I would be like "hmm he is an elf, wears a funny hat, acts a little wierd, must be a mage" Then I would act accordingly.

I mean you could be an empath witch hunter if you want and thus get sence magic. Then you would be like witch hunter robin.

Chris
Chris
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

A couple of things here...

1. It was I Don-mayo was talking too and I made the comment about "sensing" magic users... but I was merely speaking in the visual basis.. sort of like Chris's last post.. you see someone wearing no armor, carrying many pouches, and who knows what else.. and that is the sort of person I would be watching as a Witch-Hunter.. merely observation.. it was meant only as a Rping comment.. not a mechanics comment.

2. My second comment comes from a post I made earlier in another forum, about perhaps swapping "Lesser Transference" and "Sense Magic" in the Empath table.. allowing the purchase of Sense Magic for those who wish it..

Just some of my thoughts.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Well that may very much happen

Chris
Chris
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Hm, I vaguly recall a pc talking about it. But that was totaly not what I was refering to.

I was talking about an npc who asked me 'if they could sense magic people' and 'I said.. huh... no thats not one of their powers, only empaths have that power, but now that you mention it, yeah they should have that power, good idea, I post something about it during the break...'

The other thing I had heard was that some npc's when we first walked up to frost fell from the half way parking places were sensing pc's and telling them they had to tell if they were mages or empaths. Mind you this is hear say, and I only cought half of it, as I was trying to rp, but I said, it may be some special npc power or somthing because I could not think of any pc power that could grant this. Now I may have missheard them, or maybe only got half the story, or maybe it was some special npc only power which is well with in their rights, so I'm not sure. Either way, this is what I was refering to, not, that new player who if I recall had forgotten his past or something, and was being trained as a witch hunter, I am guessing that was "Ian"? but I was only able to play a few hours and quite distracted at that.

And Donmayo never seems to be in town at the same time as that pesky little Eli fellow!
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Ther was only one NPC with detect magic ability, and that was Sanna. Please let me know if any other NPCs were claiming to have that or any similar ability.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Empath Sense magic States:

You can sense magic by studying an object for 15 seconds. This does not provide any detailed description of the magic, only that magic is present

In the beginning we diliberately made sense magic only work on objects to force players to find evidence through role-playing whether or not someone is a mage or empath. It doesn't fit with the metaphysics for people to "eminate" the fact they are an empath or arcane. I guess it would show whether or not someone has a magical "buff" on them. There may have been some temp rulings in the past that allowed players to sense people's ability to cast arcane or empath but I want to eliminate that going forward.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Annika
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Annika »

Our NPCs were told that they could look for someone with a charged/charging boom and/or anyone casting magic within a circle. They were also told to report oddities like someone calling a defense that could only have been put in place on them by magic. We outlined what those buffs might look like.

No one should have been asking OOG if someone was a mage or not. If there is an actual instance of this, please let me know. Keep in mind, they may have asked odd people if they were a mage IN GAME, which is entirely different.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Tanya I am sure it is a perception issue.

But incase it isnt please let the GM staff needs to know cases of cheating so please after telling Tanya please let the GM staff know as well.

Chris
Chris
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Please don't move Lesser Transference.
I want it I want it I want it I WANT IT!!! :P
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

HEHE

I am not even going to go into what is being discussed it will hurt your head!

Chris
Chris
Annika
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Annika »

Chris --

It's cool. My feelings aren't hurt, just trying to explain to the players what they *may* have misperceived, but if they aren't mistaken, I wanted to know so that I could talk to the NPC, as well as let you guys know! ;)