benefits to wearing "real" armor

A place to bring up any clarifications, fixes, or current rule grievances to change for the 2019 rule set.

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: benefits to wearing "real" armor

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Tags get lost.
True, but once its a tag, its:
1) easier to get the player to initiate the follow up once they realize they lost a tag.
2) in the system....no more that GM said...no he didnt.

Tags have to be managed. Tags are an unneeded expense on the game.
If we were talking about this in a game where its the ONLY tag...then yes, these would be correct. Adding this one additional tag would present an almost unnoticed increase in both the area you are speaking of.

At the end of the day, you are just trading one headache for another(s)
You may feel this way, but evidence shows differently.

and it's no more efficient than just policing and communicating as it already is.
Patently false. The simple fact that until two events ago many players didnt know this was a thing, AND we still have players that think playing without reading the rule book and getting info second hand is how they should learn the game mechanics, shows this to be false. Wear a real phys rep....get a tag with details of how that works...problem solved...no excuse for not knowing.

I'm not telling the current staff how they want to handle their business, but I would not recommend this one.
I dont think anyone thought you were.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

In ideal world, we would be inspecting armor, costumes, weapons, and other physreps at the start of every event. Only when you get a GM signature on your character sheet can you apply the bonuses.

Unfortunately, we are a lot short handed right now.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Hence the real armor tag suggestion.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I'd rather have it initialed, OK'd, box checked off on the character sheet as that, in theory, is updated for each event.

I mean, there's supposed to be a life point given for racial costuming.. which was, after the racial boons were moved to racial disciplines, supposed to be approved.. or at least that was my understanding...

+1 Life Point for General Costuming, +1 Life Point for Non-Human Costuming, +1 Life Point for Accurate Armor (In theory, these life points should only be gained after a GM has approved the costuming.. the same goes for whether or not a racial discipline is available to you.. you need to have the appropriate racial costuming in order to have access to the discipline**)

** Please note that I am spouting off what I feel should be (or what I perceived to be true at the time), and not making any GM declarations at this time.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

There are a TON of things that SHOULD BE happening at check in and check out and with monster camp in general. Im 100% behind implementing them all if you feel there is time at check in and the needed staff will be available.

If you think there will NOT be the needed time and staff, what SHOULD BE...needs to become what CAN BE. Tags that are done once a year to state yes this armor is real, ....and if you like...that costuming/racial costuming is sufficient....should be the path chosen until we have what the staff needs to actually do all the SHOULD BE stuff and not be overwhelmed.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I'm with Angela. This is something that can easily be noted on the character sheet at check-in with little to no extra workload.

Bring the armor when you come to check-in, or get checked in and bring the sheet back for a sign off after you get garbed up.

I get the idea of a tag buuuut aside from the comments already brought up here, there is nothing exactly tying it to the specific piece of equipment anyway. While I think we have a pretty low percentage of cheaters/misunderstanders, there is nothing short of photographing the armor and putting it on a tag to "prove" a certain set of armor was vetted by staff.

Now, there is nothing showing that on a character sheet either, but it isn't as much work/cost as tags. *shrugs*
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Kalphoenix wrote:...there is nothing short of photographing the armor and putting it on a tag to "prove" a certain set of armor was vetted by staff.
<3 <3

I love how sometimes it feels like we share a brain.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Zydana wrote:
Kalphoenix wrote:...there is nothing short of photographing the armor and putting it on a tag to "prove" a certain set of armor was vetted by staff.
<3 <3

I love how sometimes it feels like we share a brain.
It has a certain appeal. <3 <3
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

I get the idea of a tag buuuut aside from the comments already brought up here, there is nothing exactly tying it to the specific piece of equipment anyway.
Except for the very detailed description that would HAVE to be on the "real" armor tag....right...nothing.

I think taking pics is perfect. Can wait to see it implemented.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

At carps we have safety marshals that are PC's. What if we had something like that here? (little off topic but grouping ideas here).

What if we 1. had them inspect phy's reps to make sure they are safe
and
2. inspected "armor" to rule on if it counts as real.

If the player thinks there's unfair treatment then they can protest it to the GMs for a second opinion.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
NPC-Andrew
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by NPC-Andrew »

Eli wrote:At carps we have safety marshals that are PC's. What if we had something like that here? (little off topic but grouping ideas here).

What if we 1. had them inspect phy's reps to make sure they are safe
and
2. inspected "armor" to rule on if it counts as real.

If the player thinks there's unfair treatment then they can protest it to the GMs for a second opinion.
I have volunteered to step up as a safety marshal if it is wanted
I am coming for you... maybe not
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

It was never my intent to imply that a safety marshal HAD to be a GM or even game staff. Many games have non staff marshals.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
NPC-Andrew
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by NPC-Andrew »

I had been thinking we needed one for a while and was ready to say something when it came up on the forums so timing was just right for me to say something
I am coming for you... maybe not
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I never realized the shatter boon of "real" armor was still a thing. I have been thinking this whole time my stuff just gave me +1 LP and didn't count as weight.

By the way, I consider "real" armor to be if a player can look at you and immediately get an idea of what kind of Armor Level/points you are hauling around. I don't care if it's crazy heavy or not as long as it looks the part. What I wear as Marcus is specifically tagged as Quality Durable Medium for a reason- despite being made of painted leather plates over chain, it used to be Quality Flexible Heavy, but I kept getting grief from certain players and staff because it wasn't "encumbering" (I have a hard time raising my arms high enough to tie my bandanna because of my pauldrons and arm joints) or "physically heavy" enough (despite all my "Marcus" armor and gear belt weighing a collective 35 lbs), even though the mechanical benefits are exactly the same the two classes effectively being "heavy leather" and "light plate", respectively, and I just wanted the Paladin-esque image plate tends to confer.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Fiametta
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Fiametta »

I do understand what Brian is saying though. The tags wouldn't be attached to the item, they would be carried with you for information's sake. You could have base damage/armour points, whether it's real. I think it would be a useful tool for both PCs because it's one less thing they need to memorize and for GMs you don't have to worry about metagaming because it is all there and approved by a GM
No, I am not an Emo-Elf despite what some people may say *glares at Eli*