Taunt Question

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Taunt Question

Post by Nelkie »

Ok, a rule clarfication is requested of the powers that be.

Under taunt, it states a taunted person attacks the person who taunts them. I'm assuming this is with a melle or ranged weapon, and no special abilities can be used. Aka, no backstabs, emapth booms, nerve pinchs, etc....
Should taunt state you must attack the person who has taunted you with a melle or ranged weapon and you can not use any skills that must be charged/require a count.

Now it also states if you have no weapon, taunt acts as a fear effect. Also that a person can drop there weapon and run away. Does a monk get to decided what they do when they get taunted, because they are always armed with their fist.

These are just some questions asked of me, and I could answer them
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

A better question to ask is what is it you are thinking you can do and i will tell you if that is legal.

This way I dont tell you one thing and you sneak through with some unforseen loophole :)

Yes monks may run
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Why wouldn't you be able to use charge skills? It's a taunt skill not a confusion spell, it shouldn't affect you that adversely especially for a 1st level discipline. If you make the mistake of taunting a rogue and then turning your back on him you're S.O.L, if you taunt a pikeman and then stand there waiting for him to do something you're S.O.L, Just my opinion.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

My understanding of that is that when taunted that breaks your consentration and you can't used the charged skill. That is the way I have understood it and had the ability explained to me.

That is the added complexity of taunt.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I don't think this has ever been formaly discussed so I will throw in my two cents. Remember this is a discussion and should not be inferred as a ruling of any kind. When you are taunted I would think you would in fact lose any charged ability you have charged at the moment. However, I see no reason why the taunted could not charge again, as long as it is with the intention to attack the person doing the taunt. Taunt is, as Erik pointed out, a first level skill afterall.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I'd see more as Oh, you want a piece of this, huh!?! Fine! I was going to turn that guy over there into a pile of ash, but YOU JUST MADE IT TO THE TOP OF MY POOP LIST!!! DIE, BASTARD! 30 BOOM

The victim of the taunt must change target to the taunter, and keep that target until the target is dead, the victim is dead, is taunted by someone else, is attacked by someone else, or the victim (or taunter?) drops his readied weapon and runs.
Last edited by Dallid on Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

And I must say I have no problem with that interpretation either
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Again

Post by Nelkie »

Ok, if it just means you must attack the person who taunted you, and you can use all you charge/time based abilities, than can you cast a spell? The spell would have to be an offensive spell and targeted on the taunter, but to me this does not make any since.

I an Arcane is taunted, I sit down and start casting boulder storm which takes 12 minutes, than I attack. Crazy stupid, but could be a possiblity.

Can a taunted person play it cautioniouly by taking their time on attacking the taunter? Or does the tauntie have to imdetitly attack? A thief who gets taunted my just wait until an oppurnity occursd in which he can backstab the taunter. Just as long as the thief does not attack anyone else.

How long does taunt last, for a scene, until the taunter leaves the area, sight, etc...

Also, I have had people tell me that you can not attack when you are rooted. That is incorrect. The current rules state a rooted person cannot move their feet for 10 secound/10 count. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not trying for any advantage, just trying to get some clarification and asking questions that where asked of me and I did not have an answer for.
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Wait a minute, isn't taunt broken when you are hit? Who's going to let their arcane (or empath for that matter) run out into the fray? And if you get them alone, shame on you for letting them sit down for twelve minutes to cast a spell. I don't see many applications for being able to charge something after being taunted, but perhaps it would be easier to say you don't lose your charge when taunted? Afterall, in reality you are not really hitting the person; it is only the mechanical application of a verbal lashing. Therefore you really wouldn't lose a charge you have, in which case, too bad for you you taunted an empath with a charged 30 boom or turned your back on a charged backstab (afterall, if their next hit is not a backstab they lose it). In this case, I don't have a problem with them not being able to charge again. In short, I don't have a great answer for you but I will fight vehemently against a first level skill turning a person into a moron so they go into a bezerk stage, chasing people all around the battlefield to die. Does that make any more sense than the arcane channeling their anger into a spell to destroy the taunter?

In other news, I have always played the root as being able to fight in place while in it. If that is wrong, then I am guilty too and clarification needs to be made.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah taunt is another one of those going to be looked at abilities in the off season.

You cant say taunt a person and then lead them around like mike said so the thieves can back stab..that is stupid.

At the same time it is suppose to direct the attention of the person onto who ever called taunt.

Interesting skill..perhaps too interesting HEHE

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

That's as I understand Root - it merely makes you immobile for a set period of time. The Rootee can still fight, talk, use abilities (except mobility related ones), etc.

I can indeed see a taunted Arcane saying 'That's it! I'm bringing the freakin' MOON down on your head!' and then sitting down to cast a three year long spell.

Arcanes are weird that way.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

It seems to me that many of the charged abilities require a target, so if you are taunted the charge would be broaken unless you were already targeting the person that taunted you. So two or more people with taunt could, say, keep a mage type inactive indeffinately, unless of course said mage type decided to run.
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

To be honest I think taunt should be melee only for the reciepient. Otherwise skill's main use is nullified. Currenty, it's only real application is to break mass combat standoffs. If the victim can choose how to fight, then taunt has little to no value.

In a one on one situation, taunt already has little purpose since the victim can either run or fight. Well, that's what will happen in a one on one situation anyway. If you attack me, I'm going to run or fight.

Now, here's my thing. Since I always hear it, I'll use it once. :D The spirit of taunt is such that the person has just horribly insulted you and you are now furious. How many of us when enraged really think about throwing something (accurately) or consentrating for awhile on what to do. Not many. So there's my reason for melee only. Granted, it is using the reason that I usually despise. Course, it does keep some semblance of balance to the skill in this instance.

Basically the skill is used to pull the mages from the rear of a line, or single out warriors (like in the golem cave).
Claude du Sinjin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Claude du Sinjin »

The way we have always used it in practice is that when taunted you immediately attack the taunter with a melee attack as fast as you can. You have been insulted now you're bringing that person some sharp pointy love.

As soon as someone else attacks you however, or you get your licks in on the taunter, you can attack normally and do what you will. Just my two cents. Also, if Roofie taunts you... expect to be tired and raped. He will run you about to exhaustion then take advantage of you... unmercilessly. Damn date rape elf.

"Hey, come here. I wanna tell ya sumthin."

"You can tell me from there! WAAAAHHH!!!"

Famous last words of a Roofie victim.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

The main purpose of taunt as I see it is to pull an attacker away from a friend. You see the big bad monster pummelling your friendly mage, sage, or healer into kibble, so you shout at it and get it to turn on you, instead.