2016 Spell Questions - Mend

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

2016 Spell Questions - Mend

Post by Zydana »

Mend–1 Essence; 15 Second Charge; Standard (2)
Target a "Shattered" item. For the current Combat/Scene the item is no longer considered "Shattered.” At the end of the Combat/Scene the item returns to its previous "Shattered" state. An item may not be targeted more than once ever with this spell. Some items may not be able to be mended (Plot items) -see a GM if you have any questions.
"An item may not be targeted more than once ever with this spell."

Like never ever?

So, after the combat, a craftsman repairs my sword that was shattered and mended during combat. Three years later, my sword is shattered in combat again, since it was ONCE EVER mended, three years ago, it can't be mended again. What about 15 years later, and I had given the sword to someone else? How would they know that sword was mended 15 years ago and can't ever mend it again? Do we have a "mended" stamp just like our shattered stamps?

Honestly, I think this should be changed to once an event maybe? Or if you put this in place because you're thinking of special/magic/exotic items, then maybe say once until the item has been properly repaired.
And yes, we'd need to find better wording than "properly."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: 2016 Spell Questions - Mend

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

or until fully repaired by a craftsman (like the old metal paste used to work)
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

yeah too many restrictions, I had an idea about using a shattered sword then mending it when you go into battle to give the idea of a broken sword that only the user could wield for some reason (kinda like Inuyasha's sword how its old, rusted, and pretty beat up and "could not cut paper. . .wet." but then he awakens it and its badass)

but so many of these spells have interesting ideas but tiny benefits and an absolute boatload of restrictions that any chance to use one for some interesting little RP is just impossible.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

To answer the first question - it does mean forever ever - For that specific "Shattered" tag- if you use that tag to create a new item, then that tag goes away - so therefore if you used that tag to make a new sword and it got "Shattered" again, the new "Shattered" tag is not the same as the old one, therefore it could be mended once again.

As for tracking that, we as always trust the players not to abuse the rule. If you have a "shattered" tag, it would be preferable in my eye to get a new one, rather than try to keep casting a spell every scene to use it.

So in the way you were saying, once you repair an item, that makes a "new" tag, which can then be targeted again.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

The spell description says item, not tag.

It seems like fixing a shattered item, means it's the same item.. just fixed.. reforged.. welded.. sewn... glued back together with wizard paste.

The spell description should reflect that the spell can't be used on the same item, until repaired and a new, non-"shattered" tag is obtained.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

A tag is an item - if you get a new tag, and it does not say "shattered" on it - then it is not the same item as what was "shattered" (mechanically) - You may always choose to role-play that the "shattered" tag you had, you took and reforged, or re-crafted back into its original item. Or you may alternately choose to roleplay that you just used what was left to make a brand new item.

Either way the tag (which equates to the item) - is now a non-shattered version, therefore it can be targeted by the spell.

How you choose to RP this is up to you. Mechanically though it only matters whether the tag is "Shattered" or not.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!