Poor Valkyn Vi, maybe next year eh?

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Poor Valkyn Vi, maybe next year eh?

Post by Ark »

to be fair you did listen to player feedback, on the flip side you took a good idea and made it useless.

1.Change Level 4 “Dodge” to “Divination.” Spend a Permanent Life Point per scene. Get to ask 3 questions. Only used at end of scene.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Mike
GM

Re: Poor Valkyn Vi, maybe next year eh?

Post by GM-Mike »

Well, we'll see how it goes. We thought of all kinds of good uses for it but to each their own...
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

In another thread, it was Art who proposed something very similar (and quite a few people liked it) to what is currently in the rule book. The change is that it's at the end of the scene rather before the scene. I took the "HUH?!" stance to this initially too, but as I thought about it, it doesn't really matter honestly.

I took the iZombie approach to this. Something in the scene triggers some sort of vision/premonition for something later in the event. We are usually confronted with the baddie, or his minions early in the event. Ok, we learn the name of the baddie or organization - the Valkyn'Vi can then ask questions regarding that.

The rule doesn't say if these need to be yes or no questions..

If they are yes/no questions, a life point might be a steep price, if not, well.. then maybe the skill is a bit over powered. There should be some feedback as this is play tested! :D
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I take it as you can only ask questions at the end of the scene about the scene you just ended, its a hindsight skill. usually at the end of a scene we figure out what we need to know or already learned what we were after. mybe it will have some niche use, but I will defer to you as you play a VV.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

The problem with asking questions before a scene is that we're not psychic. We can't determine how a scene is going to play out before it actually happens, but we CAN clarify important information for the PC's after the fact.

There have been countless times in which mistaken assumptions or motives might have had a major impact on events. If we had done nothing but given the Valkyn'Vi the ability to ask the single question "Hey, is that guy going to betray us?" after a scene this would be one of the powerful skills ever introduced. We're giving you three questions, and they can be a lot more nuanced than that.

You're welcome. :)
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I'm currently deferring to and agreeing with Zydana, it could be niche and meh like I said, or it could be overpowered as she suggested. this skill is very dependent on the plots and GM's so we will see how it goes :D
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

With some cunning thought, questions after a scene to clarify what just happened can be as much or more powerful than a pre-scene question reavealing something in the script that we might run into.

Just spitballing, some ideas I would try to ask:

-After a seemingly genuine guy points us in a direction for our own safety, or gives us vital information or an important item. The Valken'vi in the group asks, "So....was that guy lying to us about " x" or "y" to mislead us to screw us over? Or, "it that thing he gave us the real deal that we need to unlock or stop " x" thing?"

-We have this guy in lock-up after he killed some people at his house. Did he do that under his own volition?

-Is that little kid that just left after asking a bunch of suspicious questions casing us for some baddie looking for weaknesses in town to exploit?

Plus it's three questions: unlike a single sage hint, each one after the first can use the previous questions' answers to narrow in the next one if you need it to.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

yup the more I consider it the more I actually get worried about it depending on how it works, I'm actually eagerly awaiting feedback after the event because its effectiveness is based so heavily on the plots or GM's running the scenes.

I'm worried it might totally bust plots or story arcs, as others have pointed out you could use it to ask if someone is going to betray you or is misleading you or using you etc. and this could totally ruin or trigger events way faster then intended (though I have faith in our staff to roll with it :P) this could also lead to V'V' being in super high demand and generally low on life points from permanent expenditure as they are going to be hunted down to confirm things via hindsight.

well see, looking forward to seeing how it plays.
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Agreed, waiting to playtest this to make any decisions in it.

With that being said, I still think semi-permanent life points are a little steep and would advocate for semi-permanent essence point loss instead. But again, saving any judgement for Sunday
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Tested (not as much as I like yet), but so far it has the potential of being one of my most used skills. Definitely a niche skill, I can see people getting upset with it bc of the freedom it allows the user when asking questions about a scene.

There were a few times when it was difficult to tell when a scene had ended bc it overlapped with a current module (ie Mike running through the tavern and yelling at us while we were involved with different npc's) and after the big fight when everyone else had questions, were looting etc.

Personally, I really like it and I'm excited to use it more in depth. I've changed my mind on it being an essence point skill and the only thing I would alter now is not allowing this skill to be used on pc's
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle