evaluation of damage skill altering items/skills/potions

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

evaluation of damage skill altering items/skills/potions

Post by Ark »

ala channel crystals, curved balanced blade, skill mastery potions, sage time reduction buffs, etc. etc.

they provide too much of a bonus that unbalances an in theory balanced system.

channel, critical strike, and other charge time = damage skills are designed to be balanced around base damage, as well as the base damage + (+ = various forms of weapon focus and rage, etc.)

base channel is 1-1 (time vs damage)

after all (KNOWN) items, potions, and skills are taken into account. . .

new channel is 2-13 (time vs damage)

further note all you need to achieve that is advanced level empath channel, everything else is items / potions / buffs

critical strike is similar

base crit strike is 5-4 (time vs damage)

after all (KNOWN) items, potions, and skills are taken into account. . .

new crit strike is 5-15 (time vs damage) Disclaimer: there might be a more efficient path for time v damage on crit strike.

where as base damage. . .has no modifiers, the only way to increase it is via skills bought in game with skill points, and even then you have to invest heavily into various paths and disciplines to achieve competitive results while those with channel and crit strike can branch outward becoming more versatile and gaining more interesting or defensive skills to augment their damage.

why is this a problem?

well because with such wide discrepancies in damage done it becomes impossible for the NPC / GM side to balance accordingly. do you balance for the players doing massive damage? then those just swinging 1 don't have a chance at competing and the encounter feels punishing. do you balance for those only doing 1? then those doing massive damage stomp everything and make the encounter trivial. the same can be said for soak, but that's a different discussion.

my advice?

as it stands now, take basic critical strike no matter what you are (yes even you warriors) and get a curved balanced blade, or just a curved one and a sage time reduction buff. then everyone can at least do 7 in about 2-3 seconds. this is a massive damage payoff for little investment and with the damage aspect of your character taken care of you now have a whole path, discipline, and a little extra to invest in how you want to play, as well as defense and utility, congrats.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.