RULES! (No Really)

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

RULES! (No Really)

Post by GM-Mike »

Okay, here's the real link. First off, this is not the final copy. Obviously editing will be done. The table of contents, all page numbers, many of the charts will need to be fixed, and general layout may change. The economic system may be edited for clarity and other cosmetic changes, such as names of magical/spell components may very well change...but the rules are here for your perusal and commentary. This is a working document, and, as mentioned before, we expect this to be a bit of a playtest year, so if something is alarming or if something didn't go your way (like shield rules for example), remember that things could change with your feedback and as we see things in action. Over the next week, I will be working on the final draft with correct page numbers and all of that good stuff. As always, we welcome and value your feedback.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Por ... sp=sharing
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: RULES! (No Really)

Post by Ark »

um, I broke the game who do I PM?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

uhm...when I click the link it just has a huge pop up that says because FUCK YOU! That's just for me isn't it....

and no rules were included on determining how much smaller shields get as they drop in size category. intentional?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

So I said I would reserve judgement until I saw more. So now I see more.

What were you trying to accomplish and in what ways did you collectively achieve that goal? I am struggling to see how these changes and adjustments have improved the game for us as players. I feel like by understanding this it can help me change my attitude around.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

We wanted to increase choice and variability. We accomplished that by adding additional choices into skill selection.

We wanted to improve skills that were underpowered/underutilized. We attempted to accomplish that by taking the skills that we have gotten years of feedback on and either upping their power or changing them completely into something that (at least we thought) was better.

I personally felt that we had taken the magic out of the magic system. You can see how we attempted to address that issue. You are not seeing the full picture yet there as there will be many more spells in game that we would want to playtest before giving full access to.

We wanted to simplify even further the check-in system for the majority of players. We accomplished that by removing income and upkeep requirements (this will be paired with an increased emphasis on treasure to establish income flow).

Now, I understand a lot has changed and with that it can be scary. We have been doing this a while and thought the game could use a facelift. We have the best of intentions and only want to improve the game for the players. If it turns out that we are wrong, we will be responsive to that feedback. If, after trying it, the majority of people want to change it back, we'll certainly consider it. We didn't make a change without first considering if it would be fun, but of course what is fun for us may not be fun for others, an we will accept that if that turns out to be the case.

If you or anyone has more specific problems you would like addressed or rationale for what we did, I could probably answer it more specifically. The vague, "WHat the hell were you thinking" remarks are more difficult to address :D (I guarantee you there will be a specific answer to any specific inquiry as I don't think anything was changed "just because").
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

weren't we going to get an essene boon that gives you 2 essence?(or one sleep??
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The sleep may be an oversight and may be added. I know we decided against an essence boon for now until we can see the essence system in play--we want to be careful as to how high that essence pool gets. I will post back here after we discuss the sleep boon
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

Durable Components--Passive Skill, Swap-Out Skill
The Magus is able to use the power inherent within Spell Components while preserving them for future use. To cast spells, the Magus needs to have the correct Spell Components on hand, but these components are not spent upon casting and can be reused on future spells. This skill has no effect on Mystic Resources used in the casting of the spell, Mystic Resources are always consumed.

There are a number of spell components: Fire Dust, Spirit Water, Magic Clay, Pixie Vapor, and Dark Talismans. These are used in a variety of spells. In addition, there are Mystic Resources. Two Mystic Resources can substitute for any one spell component. Spell Components always burn up when used to cast a spell, even if you have “Durable Components.”

what's the point of dribble components if everything burns up anyway?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

That's a misprint, sorry. It will get fixed. Mystic components always burn up in the spell when used. If you use the actual spell components (instead of substituting mystic) then those do not burn up.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

why does enchant weapon still break the sweapon?
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

will we be abe to conviret vast numbers of magic compnents to mystic?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Enchant weapon should not break the weapon and will be fixed.

You will not be able to convert spell components to mystic--you may simply replace spell components with mystic when casting spells if you wish.

Keep questions coming. There was a lot of editing done, obviously and we miss things that we intended to change (like the enchant weapon example).
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

where are the awoken level spells?
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

Wizards are WAY WORSE off now than they were before.

why?

1. loss of flexibility. we use to be able to change packets to lines. (that was great). it's gone.

2. less spells per combat due to realllyllllllly long reload time. 10 minutes is the ENTIRE combat. (NO EFFECTS in game lower reload times. Not hero points, nothing.)

3. we use to be able to swap the cool cown by casting ahead of time. (that's gone.)

4. the essence cost is very high, there are 0 first level

5. You have to be in the spell to negate it. This is lame. wizards shouldn't have to be upfront for a MASTER PATH SKILL to work. the whole negating it if you have the spell is annoying too.)
the spells still suck. (they sucked before but wzards could get around it with perks and points) I can now dominate one monster..(maybe) every ten minutes,,,,,,

easy fix. let hero points work on reload skills, and let uhave the perk to fold the reload back to the castign time.
give us "awken" versions of the spell were we can adjust it's area etc.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

A few things. The awoken level spells, the lower level spells, the spells with two tiers of power are all coming and will be introduced during the first event. I personally have many spell ideas that will address your concerns. These are simply the starting spells tht people know. We plan on releasing new spells every event. So why aren't they there now? We want the opportunity to playtest spell effects so they will be introduced as scrolls first, and then if they work the way we want them to, to put them in as spells.

Second, and this may have been entirely in my head so other GMs may disagree but if we were not on the same page, things will definitely be adjusted, I was thinking Quick casting would work on the reloads as well. This is not clear in the rules as I'm looking back on it. But, if you have quick casting twice, then the 10 minute reloads would be two minutes instead.

Third, I always thought Hero Points could be used on Reload Times (shows you how well I know the rules). I definitely think that should be the case. They are called hero points after all, and I will make sure that is adjusted as well.

We do realize that the Magus is in its current form is the most underpowered. We are just being cautious because they have the most potential to swing the other way and be stupidly overpowered so we are adjusting them in steps--first converting the old spells, then introducing new spells to scrolls, and finally converting new scrolls to spells.

Hope that clarifies. I really think they will be pretty awesome within an event or two.