questions from rules

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: questions from rules

Post by Ark »

why would you retire a character when you just got a free rewrite? seriously curious :shock:

There are other reasons besides the character sheet one would not want to retire a character. loosing almost all your levels yeah, along with any perks and specialties you got along the way to boot. but there are also all the RP reasons, all the connections and memories you made with the character, those are hard to let go, even more so then levels. and as Zydana points out, what happens if you get the urge to come back? or someone has the opportunity to resurrect you?

and the reason why I say level 4 is personally myself and most people I know tend to use various available methods to start at level 4, FH may be a fast advance system, but level 0 is useless, level 4 you are at least full path.

I just think there is a lot more to consider as far as a retirement mechanism goes, and perhaps some discussion between existing high level players should take place as to why they don't start new characters. I think progress has already been made with the removal of personal income, its hard to go from making 10+ gold an event to a few copper. (yes quite a few high level players actually made that much and more) I also feel some of it has to do with our current setting.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

why would you retire a character when you just got a free rewrite?

Because it has nothing to do with a PC re write. They are adding this to the rules so if a player makes a new PC at the next event, and he plays that Pc for 3 years and feels that story is done, he can retire that PC and start a new one with a boost.

what happens if you get the urge to come back?

Most systems equate retirement to making the PC an NPC that can be played with plot permission. Ultimately, if you might want to play it later, don't retire it.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
SirJoriel
New in Town
New in Town

Post by SirJoriel »

Short answer. Because I do not believe in cheese dicking role play to keep my 20 levels. I believe in a great story. The game is about stories and this is an option. You are not forced to participate in the program. I believe it's too powerful in its state so I will opt out of receiving wealth with my new character. Damn it. I said it was going to be a short answer..
Cicero the Impatient, Bard understudy to the court wizard of Brennondale, slayer of demons, and official storyteller of the battle of the bloodfence.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Ark wrote:why would you retire a character when you just got a free rewrite? seriously curious :shock:
Character Rewrites are only available when -

*** You discover that after your first event, the game/rules/character build doesn't quite play out how you thought they might, you have an option to re-write before your 2nd event

*** When the rules change that impact the .. well, let's call it your "vision" of your character and you need to make some adjustments to suit that character's style.

Character Retirement is only available when -

*** The Any Time. This includes your 5th event, 105th event, 3 events after you got a free re-write, when you think your character is feeling stale, or when your character decides to "walk off into the sunset" or "become one with Phantara." This MIGHT also include when your character dies "an epic death" with GM discretion.

I hope that clears it up.

Edit: Oohhh.. I didn't realize you were posing that to a specific person. I thought it was a general question...
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Okay, more questions...

Dispel Essence (Swap-Out Skill)

- What does this skill do?

Essence Burn (Swap-Out Skill) - Scorch Call (Reduces Target's Essence to 0), 30 second charge

Packet driven or weapon/fist?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Dispel Essence is the same skill as before, a master level heroes and villains empath skill.

Essence Burn is Packet Driven
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Current rule -
First Aid can also be used to speed up the natural healing process. By spending five minutes with a target, the time it takes them to naturally heal is cut in half.

Part of proposed rule -
As of this moment, unless you have a skill that says otherwise or refreshed by the skill of another, Essence refreshes in the same amount of time has life points naturally heal.

Question -

Will using the skill First Aid speed up the natural recovery time of essence points?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I'm publicly voicing my concerns that Research will no longer be an option as a basic level swap out skill!
Faust
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Faust »

^ The bold big letters mean it's super important. :p

I'm in the same boat though.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Aidan_Mcpryde wrote: As for Extend Life - it was intentional to remove the ability to allow someone else to take over. What it did before and how it was used were not in the best interests of the skill, so now as a Basic skill it is pretty darn good that a Zero level Healer could keep someone alive indefinitely (as long as they are not interrupted of course). It may detract a little from allowing others to participate, but that will just encourage a group to make sure they have enough Healers on their plot.
does it still cost a life point to use? I didn't really understand the need for it costing one before (I guess they could keep a bunch of people from bleeding out in theory so yeah I get it) but now that it is limited to one person only could you see the life point cost being removed?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

To Ark - I believe the plan is for Extend Life to not cost a Life Point at this time.

As for Research - Concern noted. :)

As for First Aid speeding up Natural Healing of Essence Points - We will discuss that and let you know.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!