"Action is the s..." Dwarf Tents (read disclaimer)

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

"Action is the s..." Dwarf Tents (read disclaimer)

Post by GM-Brad »

Stop! This is a subsection of the "Action is the sole medium of expression for ethics" story thread. Read that thread first! Only if you have been directed to come here in that thread (it'll give you the choice) should you read what follows and post in this thread.
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Re: "Action is the sole..." Dwarf Tent (read by invitation o

Post by GM-Brad »

Several armored dwarves usher you into a flat, broad tent. You spot several chests filled with gold and jewels, and more guards. A dwarf whose armor shines with diamonds steps forward. ”I am Ondyaw Diamondsmither, and you best have a good reason for being here.”

You explain you are looking for bandits who took hostages who might have come this way.

Ondyaw shrugs. “My men spotted a group sneaking furtively in the forest that edges this field not long ago, but when we approached, they were gone, and they left no tracks. Trust me. My scouts are good woodsmen. These people were better. The only person I’ve ever met who could cover their tracks so quickly was faeborn. I have no idea who they were, or if they had hostages, or their wellbeing. We didn’t get a good look. Unfortunately, I cannot spare men to look for them. I have security issues here.” He points to his gold, then thinks for a minute. “But, I might be able to spare an item, if you can prove you can handle it, and if you return it later.” He produces a writ for temporary ownership, which he prompts you to sign, or at least ‘x’. If you can read, it's a lot of legalese about broken bones.

He lets you take one of these only for the duration of this adventure. They are all obviously magical. Ondyaw refuses to give details to the ignorant, but if you have the Identify Magic Item skill, you may read all the hidden texts (before deciding).

Take one only (and only if you have the skill):

If you are a Craftsman, you may take the Crystal Dowsing Rod.
Read only if take the Crystal Dowsing Rod.
This can be used to detect gold if it is anywhere nearby.
If you have the Disguise skill, you may take the Metal Mask.
Read only if you take the metal mask.
Once when you use disguise during this adventure you may disguise yourself as a specific, known person.
If you are an Alchemist/Wizard you may take a potion:
Read only if you take a potion.
It is some form of specialized free the beast potion. Tell me if you use it.

If you have the Healing Skill, you may take a pouch of herbs:
Read only if you take the herbs.
When burnt, the herbs will quickly awaken anyone asleep or unconscious in a large area.
If you can Read Write, you may take a stone. It's inscribed with runes.
Read only if you take a stone
It's a teleportation stone attuned to here. The holder may use it to immediately teleport themselves (only) to this dwarven tent at any point.
If you are a Diplomat or have the Allegiance skill, you may convince him to lend you one of the above items, even without the appropriate matching skill. Likewise, using Mimic will let you take the item of your choice.

He seems to have multiples of the items, except for the mask and dowsing rod, if multiple people visit. Once you choose, Ondyaw opens the tent flap and guards usher you out. “I will give you one last bit of advice,” he says. “Don’t trust the elves. They are up to something.”
Faust
New in Town
New in Town

Re: "Action is the s..." Dwarf Tents (read disclaimer)

Post by Faust »

"The stone looks of interest..." Faust mutters, unthinkingly signing his name in elegant handwriting on the line. As he hears the commotion in the square he politely excuses himself and exits the tent.
Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nellie Duncan »

"My apologies for the intrusion. Might I also have the names of your companions, Master Diamondsmither?"

Nellie listens, frowning at the mention of the possibility of faeborn involvement. "That's not good at all. If they are faeborn, these people may not be hostages at all, but payments for some sort of agreed upon favor or deal-breakers. Thank you for your account, Master Diamondsmither."

"Oh my," Nellie whispers, gently trailing her fingers over the arrayed items, a keen eye on each as she determines their abilities. "Truly these treasures are great ones, Master Diamondsmither. I thank you on behalf of Haven for your generosity in lending them to I and my companions at this time," she says humbly, bowing her head. "Though I'm not sure how one could return these bag of herbs or this potion, as both would be consumed in order to activate their power." Her hand hovers over the bag of herbs, knowing it would be a great boon if she herself were not susceptible to what it would cure, but it unerringly returns to the crystal dowsing rod. "If I might borrow this?" She picks the rod up and tests it within the tent, being sure that it is in working order. When the contract is put before her, she signs for the rod and then tucks it into her side pouches.

At Diamondsmither's last words, she chuckles good naturedly and gives this last banter in parting. "Sir, they're elves. It would be an event most odd if they were not scheming their little plots. I'll see if I can't persuade Captain Kaylan to leave someone here to keep an eye on the proceedings. Once again, I apologize for the intrusion."
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

"Ah, the stone. A solid choice, sir."

As Nellie studies each item, Ondyaw looks impressed. "You have a keen mind, but then again you are a dwarf. Indeed, the herbs and potions need not be returned if used within 3 days. Bylaw 13, subparagraph 34. And yes," he chuckles, "9 times out of 10 an elf has a dastardly plan. And, it usually involves short changing me out of money..."