Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Hold Ground duration

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Hold Ground
When Hold Ground is initiated the warrior gains 10 Temporary Life Points, and all melee attacks delivered to the front side of the warrior that deal damage to the warrior's armor or life points are reduced to 1. This damage is taken off armor first even if the attack is "Vorpal" (See pg.83). In addition, Fear, Sleep, Poison, Disease, Knockout, and Press effects from the front do not affect the warrior; instead they take 1 point of damage, taken from armor first. The warrior also becomes immune to all taunts from the front. Attacks to the rear of the warrior affect the warrior normally. While Hold Ground is active, the warrior cannot use other charged or activated skills except for "Resist" skills such as "Resist Magic" or "Resist Poison" and Parry. While Holding Ground warriors cannot move their feet. At the end of Hold Ground, the warrior's Life Point total is reduced to 0 (zero) Life Points or remains at its current total if it is less than 0 (zero) Life Points
Either I am missing where it stated, or the hold ground description doesn't state the duration/when it expires.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Hold Ground duration

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

I was under the impression it ended when you went down, or when you choose to stop. I'm not sure though.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

I thought it was a minute As its worded if you have determination, you can stand there and get hit for a minute until you bleed to death. with Endurance its two minutes. If your have a specialty in both its two minutes AND you can still block physically.

Now if you use any of the other skills to keep Hold Ground working, you are likely very very very very MOSTLY dead at the end...AND may end up holding the record for most chip draws before your ALL dead. That means your pockets just get searched for loose change...

Just looking for some clarity is i missed the duration.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Stills don't work at zero or megs unless they say so. So it turns off when you go zero.
Travis Cole
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

At the end of Hold Ground, the warrior's Life Point total is reduced to 0 (zero) Life Points or remains at its current total if it is less than 0 (zero) Life Points
This implies it doesn't, since it mentions being less than zero Life Points. Hence my question. IF the intent is for it to turn off at zero, I suggest a tweak of the description.

Also, in spite of this:
Improved Endurance (Advanced)
Through their advanced knowledge a character with this skill may continue to block damage while in the negatives, but still may not use skills (except for Determination or Improved Determination) or attack.
Since the hold ground was activated before the Improved Endurance condition sets in, I think a descriptor clarification may be needed if the above quote is taking this specific combination into account, which I know doesn't always happen when rules are added. No one can catch every synergistic combo....well except maybe Ark and Nelkie.

I think the hold ground/Improved Endurance combo should be allowed since it would embody the heroic drama I hear the GM staff talking about fostering.

Either is fine from my viewpoint, since I have used the skill only 3 times in my FH play history. Its only on my sheet due to lack of a better swap out option, and to keep by basic path skills from touching my advanced...I hate when they touch!
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I believe the intent is indeed for it to turn off at 0. Now, you could be at positive life and somehow take excessive damage to the back or via lash, knocking you into negatives. Without that clause, people would drop and raise their life total to zero. I agree the stopping point could be more clear.
Joe
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Joe »

having played a warrior before as i understand it if you either go to zero or move your feet you are immediately out of hold ground and at 0 life no matter the life point total you were at before you moved your feet a press from behind is a real problem while in hold ground lol
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I am for clearing it up.

Death and Dying
Unfortunately, a character only has so much life to work with. When a character's Life Points reach 0 (zero) and below, they become incapacitated; they can talk but cannot move, use any skills (including Passive skills), or perform any actions.

the wording in hold ground is to keep it from HEALING you if yo are in the negatives for some other reason.
Travis Cole
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

cool thanks guys!
Sir Kaylan Chargeender