Moderator: Admin

Zandron
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Playing multiple characters

Post by Zandron »

GMs and players,

Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, here's how it works:
-Check in as character #1 Friday night, get check-in loot, play until game break
-Check out as character #1 at game break, pay upkeep (sometimes paying is delayed until final checkout)
-Check in as character #2 during game break, DO NOT get check-in loot, play until Sunday checkout
-Check out as character #2 on Sunday, pay upkeep.

So here's my question: When playing two characters, why must we pay double the upkeep cost when we only receive check-in loot for one? Far better, it would seem, to get paid for two check-ins, and pay for two check-outs.

Is there any reason for this besides tradition?
Cap'n Z
The Redwind
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Playing multiple characters

Post by cole45 »

to prevent abuse.

two high level out of game skill driven characters become a money fountain.

as it is I think we are too loose since you can play a "between game character" and a combat character and get the money and between game stuff for one. double dipping.
Travis Cole
Zandron
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Zandron »

I understand why playing multiple characters could potentially be abused, but the current system makes it nearly impossible UNLESS your first character is the abusive, annoying "between game character" that you mentioned; the high checkout cost means that the character you initially check in with (the only one to get checkin loot) must be a money fountain.

I think this rather ruins the whole point of playing multiple characters (to expand your roleplaying opportunities). Anyone who wants to enjoy some variety must now ridiculously optimize one character for moneymaking, and will lose out on, for example, playing an empath and a warrior on the same weekend.

Does anyone feel similarly, or is this just me?
Cap'n Z
The Redwind
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

this rule wasn't invented in a vacuum. some did it and screwed it up for everyone else. :)
Travis Cole
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

think this rather ruins the whole point of playing multiple characters (to expand your roleplaying opportunities).
Then just play the first character for one event, and the second character the next. Now each character has had two half events to expand your RP on, they just get the two halves in the same weekend.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

The rules on multiple characters I believe was created before we even gave out beginning character loot. (due to abuse)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

if i recall it had to do with a ressurection incident and guild support issue
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Zandron
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Zandron »

That's a good point, Kaylan.

It would seem that maybe a few rules could use some looking at; there are what look to be a couple artifacts from previous versions.

Is there a plan from the GM's side of things to revamp?
Cap'n Z
The Redwind
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Probably not in regards to this. While it is understandable that someone may want to play multiple characters...It is just one of the sacrifices you have to make. To be honest the biggest break is still in the game. When you can play a full Wizard and sell all of your potions, switch characters and then utilize your secondary combat oriented character...Well it's a problem. Same situation with someone playing a Bureaucrat.

All of this aside, it's a logistical nightmare to do a full check in for two characters. Imagine all of the research requests, potions and political actions that need to be taken care of. It bogs things down for an already overwhelmed and shorthanded staff.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

What if someone pays full event fees for each character?
Could they then do complete check-in/check-outs, so long as they weren't switching back and forth?
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

just too many problems and abuse. as has been stated with all the potions, money, resources, etc. a character can obtain at check in, disperse amongst friends, then simply not play the character smells like abuse. especially with the character safe limbo they get to sit in and be untouchable and unstoppable.

allowing someone to pay full event fees to acquire said in game wealth sounds a lot like pay to win, im personally against this.

anyway, this rule was very thoughtfully put in place and there is no real good reason to change it. good on you GM's ^_^
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.