The sky finally opens

Townsmen with the shakes huddle around the glowing embers of what may have been a roaring fire. Speak quick, lest thee be to long in the open!

Moderator: Admin

Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

The sky finally opens

Post by Marcus »

It is midday, and the heat of summer has long held Haven firmly in it's grasp. Farmers across the valley hope for moisture, desperate for their thirsty crops and animals and tiring of dragging water from the shrinking streams. Even outside threats to Haven have been blissfully quiet, as if any who would wish ill will against the growing Kingdom are as drained by the temperature as her people, crops and herds.

But then something happens. It starts with a scattering of darker clouds, followed by a hint of breeze; whispered promises of cooler air on the way. Then a careful ear can pick out one or two soft drops against leaves among the still summer air.

The sound of the drops grows... and grows, until finally all that can be heard is the hush of falling rain. Soon after, soft peals of thunder fill the sky.

Marcus stands in the open near the Inn. Stripped to the waist and barefoot in the sweltering heat, he had been busy at work bringing water from the well to the garden of herbs Fionna had planted to replace those she lost inside the walls of Gravesbane, hauling the heavy buckets back and forth in each hand with sweat dripping down his chest.

He stops and sets the pails to the ground and simply tips his head to the sky, eyes closed, and lets the drops fall on his face, smiling and listening as he breathes in the cool relief brought by the water.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Laylah
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Laylah »

A mere 30 feet from Marcus, Laylah can be seen suppressing right out laughter. She lifts her hands up slightly as it begins to pour and revels in the sound of the soft thunder and the feel of the rain on her skin. Shaking her fist at the sky she yells,

"About bloody damn time!"

She sighs with a big smile, letting relief wash over her. The crops had been near death. She silently thanks the heavens and walks over to Marcus. Picking up a pail, she asks simply, "Where too?"
Laylah Elora

Community Welfare Director and Hospital/ Orphanage Administrator of Woodhaven.

-Ad astra per aspera-
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus looks to her and smiles and shrugs.

"I really don't know. The watering seems to be taking care of itself at the moment. I figure sit back and enjoy it.

Even if it wasn't summer, I don't think the two of us in particular are going to catch our death of cold, right?"

He chuckles.

Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

*footsteps squished toward the town as rothek walked toward the healers, soaked to the skin from the rain*

"hello laylah! rothek hopes you and your cubs enjoy the wet."

before the beast trudged on to the tipsy traveler he shook sending all manner of water, dirt and mud splashing off in all different directions, after he shook his fur had poofed out not much more dry but at least more comfortable.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Laylah
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Laylah »

She laughs. "I suppose your right. Couldn't have come at a better time too, was just about to take the children on a short roam. Well, very short roam now." She looks around." It will no doubt lift their spirits. Nothing a little puddle jumping can't fix." Grinning vivaciously she stretches a minute and then stoops over to pick her pack back up.

"Your more then welcome to join with of course! Was going to ask Serith, Gabriel and anyone else the same. I think we could all use a break here and there. I swear, I've had to many people coming in with sore backs and feet, and cuts and bruising everywhere." She frowns slightly. "Don't get me wrong, plenty of work to be accomplished, but they can't possibly do anyone any good by over exerting themselves."

Cocking her head to the side, she let her words soak in. Shuddering at the thought of sounding motherly, she shrugs it off and mentally plans a training session.

Casting her gaze up to Rothek as he walked by, she bounced forward onto her tippy toes to pat him on the head, and then proceeded to walk up the hill towards Wood Haven.
Laylah Elora

Community Welfare Director and Hospital/ Orphanage Administrator of Woodhaven.

-Ad astra per aspera-
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

"You know....I think that sounds like an excellent idea, Laylah.

Once all this slows down, I may go find Fiona to see what she's up to and join you at Woodhaven."

Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

Rothek leaned into laylah's hand when she patted his head, he hadn't been making his usual trip to woodhaven since korrigan had been away from the tipsy traveler so he followed laylah on the path to the orphanage.

"Rothek walk with laylah and cubs in the wet, show them good covered place, under fallen tree. Good for when wet makes fur cold."

Had the beastman been thinking he would realize the children weren't covered in fur like him.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.