Final Haven Players Guide Project!

GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

This is the official announcement for the Final Haven Players Guide Project! This project will endeavor to renovate, redo, and revise the current rules book into an indepth illustrated Players Guide. Deeper background on Phanterra, expanded and extended histories of the races and cultures, and entertaining anecdotes of skills, disciplines and paths are just a few advantages of a revitalized rules book. With a decade of history actually lived in Final Haven to date as well as a thriving second chapter, there is a rich mount of information just waiting to be shared.

With a new Players Guide, the world of Phanterra becomes much richer to everyone in it, as well as those new to the world. The depth of the Players Guide will magnify and intensify the role-playing of all those involved, as a comprehensive compilation is collected in one easy and obtainable location. With new stories about the available Paths and Disciplines, players will have more examples of how to expand the meanings of skills while still following the spirit of the rule.

The first step of this project will be to collect information from you, the players. Currently there is an external forum full of ideas and information to get you started submitting ideas. The external forum will be where most of the project will take place. As the project progresses, this forum (and this thread) will be updated with appropriate information. But in order to get that far, we need input from you! We will eventually be looking for writers willing to volunteer their time for the final version of the book and for artists capable of creating appropriate works for the book.

Come join and tell us about all the wonderful things you have learned about Final Haven since you have begun playing!

http://finalhaven.aforumfree.com/

Thank you for making this a possibility,
Jared Twining, GM
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Thank you to everyone who is signing up and checking out the Final Haven Players Book forums.

I know the ball is just starting to roll on the project, but we really need your help. We need submissions, information, and ideas from you!

So please come over and check it out.

If you have any questions regarding the project, how to post, what is appropriate, what we're looking for, etc., feel free to leave a message in the Q&A section, or contact Jared and we'll try to help you out.

Thank you again for everyone who's participating, or planning to.[/b]
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

A contest, prizes, and the submissions deadline!

Post by GM-August »

I am excited to announce a contest for submissions to the Final Haven Players Book project! This will be retroactive to include recent submissions.

Starting with February the fourteenth, every two weeks two indivduals will earn a prize! To earn prizes, an individual will earn one ticket for each quality submission to the forums. This means the more you submit, the better chance you have at winning. At the end of the two weeks, all the tickets are combined and two random tickets are chosen. The owners of these tickets will win a prize. The prizes will be awarded to the winners at the first Final Haven event they attend.

The prizes handed out every two weeks will be randomly selected from a group of available prizes. The prizes will not be revealed until they are handed out, and the individuals recieving the prizes will not be named unless they give permission to be named. Some people prefer to not let others know they have suddenly become richer.

Also, each month, the best submission (as chosen by me) will recieve a Hero Point! The winner will also not be named unless they give permission to be named.

The dates of the contest are as follows:
Feb. 14 - Feb. 27
Feb. 28 - Mar. 13
Mar. 14 - Mar. 27
Mar. 28 - Apr. 10
Apr. 11 - Apr. 24
Apr. 25 - May. 08

Submissions to the Players Book will close on May eighth. After that, no new submissions will be accepted. Actual prizes may vary, but could be one or more of the following: copper, resources, potions, items, or levels.

This post will be updated with the prizes and names (if available) of the winners.

P.S. ALL submissions are welcome! The submissions given here will help shape and change the face of Final Haven and Winter Haven alike. Any concept or idea from the weird to the wacky are to be celebrated! New players welcome and old players nudged! Come submit things you've wanted to see as well as longed to know. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask as your time is limited.
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

Due to many factors (too numerous to list) I have decided to extend the contest deadline out an additional four weeks!

The dates of the new contest are as follows:

May 09 – May 22
May 23 – Jun. 05

For those of you who are just coming to this contest in the last few weeks, here is the list of prizes awarded in the last few months. I hope this will help coax you into posting.

Feb. 14 - Feb. 27
1st prize:
  • 1 Commodity: Focus Materials Tag
  • 1 Commodity: Written Works Tag
2nd Prize:
  • 1 Strength of the Body Potion
  • 1 Strength of the Mind Potion
Feb. 28 - Mar. 13
1st prize:
  • 1 Helm Armor Tag
  • 1 Legs Armor Tag
  • 1 Arms Armor Tag
  • 1 Chest Armor Tag
2nd Prize:
  • 1 Food Resource Tag
  • 1 Cloth Resource Tag
  • 1 Supplies Resource Tag
  • 1 Steel Resource Tag
  • 1 Hide Resource Tag
Mar. 14 - Mar. 27
1st prize:
  • 1 Weapon
  • 1 Heavy Shield
  • 1 Complex Lock
2nd Prize:
  • 1 Gold
  • 2 Silver
  • 3 Copper
Mar. 28 - Apr. 10
1st prize:
  • 1 Healer's Kit
2nd Prize:
  • 1 Cure 2 Potion
  • 1 Cure 4 Potion
  • 1 Cure 6 Potion
  • 1 Awaken Potion
Apr. 11 - Apr. 24
No prizes awarded as no one posted!

Apr. 25 - May. 08
1st prize:
  • 4 Levels
2nd prize:
  • 1 Magic Item – Warrior’s Pendant
Submissions to the Players Book will close on June fifth. There will be no additional extensions. After that, no new submissions will be accepted. Actual prizes may vary, but could be one or more of the following: copper, resources, potions, items, or levels.

P.S. ALL submissions are welcome! The submissions given here will help shape and change the face of Final Haven and Winter Haven alike. Any concept or idea from the weird to the wacky are to be celebrated! New players welcome and old players nudged! Come submit things you've wanted to see as well as longed to know. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask as your time is limited.
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

...And many prizes were had.

Now on to the next phase in this project... recruiting writers!

This is a call to all writers interested in writing for Final Haven. I have about as much information as the players are willing (or able) to submit at this time. Even though there are many who have expressed an interest in participating, there are and always will be many factors preventing these people from participating. Sadly, in order to keep this project on a somewhat timely schedule, I must move forward.

If you would like to help but do not write; please think about submitting artwork (check with Art) or donating for artwork. Artists usually like to get paid.

There are many sections that need to be rewritten, revamped, or simply touched up so I can use as many volunteers as possible. If you would like to participate, please PM me (august) with your name, writing interests, and an example of your work if you have not participated in the external forum. Once I have some volunteers, I will talk with you directly about what you would like to write. I will attempt to match you with your interests, but I may not be able to. Do not worry, if you do not wish to write at this point, I will not hold you to anything.

ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES, PLEASE.

As I mentioned, I would like to finish this in a timely manner so if you are capable, willing, and able then please volunteer. If you do not match all three criteria, then please do not volunteer. I will be asking for timed assignments, participation with other writers, criticism of other writing, rough drafts, outlines, and multiple revisions. There is a method to my madness here as I have gotten some help from members in the ‘industry’. Their help has been invaluable in shaping how I approach this project and I am immensely flexible.

I have created a Table of Contents for the new Players Handbook, as well as generic outlines for Races, Organizations, World History, and Setting History. At this point in time, the projected book will be around 220,000 words, well over four times as large as the current book. This is due mostly to an expanded racial section, a detailed Phanterran history, a detailed Silverthorne history, and more details and examples for character creation. The main sections of the new book are as follows:
  1. A New Player’s Guide to Live Action Role Playing
  2. The World
  3. Character Creation
  4. Races
  5. Paths
  6. Lifestyles
  7. Disciplines
  8. The Basics of Playing
  9. The Basics of Fighting
  10. The Basics of Survival
  11. Equipment & Buildings
  12. Additional Rules
There are also currently five appendices. They are as follows:
  1. Glossary
  2. Rules of Conduct
  3. How to Make…
  4. Quick Character Creation
  5. Forms
Again, if you are interested, please PM me (august). I will be looking for volunteers for the next few weeks. Come mid-August I will no longer be looking for volunteers. If you have any questions, please PM me.
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

I am willing to help, however, I am not very knowledgeable as I have not been playing long. I am good at proofreading for grammatical mistakes and can make up an spreadsheet/form you could ask for. Please let me know what you need.
Fionna MacNeil
Queen of the People of Haven

“We all at certain times in our lives find ourselves broken. True strength is found in picking up the pieces.”
Salvatore_Tenhammers
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Salvatore_Tenhammers »

I would have loved to help, but I really won't have the time in a month. Once you've got it all set I'd be more than happy to go through the thing and proofread it if you want.
If you want it we got it. If we don't got it, we'll get it.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

Whoot I know a couple of kids that are TOTALLY up for winning a free year of passes!

Watch out!
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Zydana
GM

Re: Final Haven Players Guide Project!

Post by Zydana »

I was curious to know how this was coming along.
Gondowon T. Falbor
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Final Haven Players Guide Project!

Post by Gondowon T. Falbor »

I am aware this is a rather old thread, but I would like to mention I'm always willing to help with writing or editing or whatever is needed to improve the rulebook. I don't know if you're still looking for help with this, but if you are I'm more than happy to donate my time.
"The road an adventurer walks has no destination, yet they reach places no one else can dream of reaching." - Gondowon Tedra Falbor