The role of disguise in a LARP.

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

But I still think NPCs should immediatly identify what they represent the moment someone looks at them. The reaction to an ubber-monster should be instantaneous. Not -

Who is that?
An NPC?
Is he wearing a headband?
Yes, but he's dressed like a peasant.
He IS walking directly at me. I better ask.

"Excuse me, but what do I s-"

"10 CRUSH-10 CRUSH-10 CRUSH-10 CRUSH!!!!"

The "What do I see?" question also breaks up gameplay more than a direct statement from the NPC. New players must also then train themselves to ask "What do I see?" to every NPC they encounter as a survival tactic.

Yeah, this is getting off topic, but this is a subject that's been clearly bothering me for awhile. :P
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

For monsters and things that don't look human I think this is a great idea, as the NPC's enter an area with PC's if they identify themselves out loud it takes some of the guessing game out of it. Human npc's being played don't neccesarily need to announce themselves but I would say that even other demi-humans unless properly outfitted (beard for dwarf ears for elf...).
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I hear you but to be honest I would rather have the costuming though it is tough to do.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Yeah I know so would we all but as you said costuming is costly and this could be a good comprimise until good costuming can be gotten. On the costuming subject I have a bunch of stuff that I'm gonna donate to you guys I just need to make it look a little more in preiod with some wooden toggles or something. Most of it is sized for me but that just means that it'll be too big for most of you guys. I also keep my eyes out for good stuff when I'm at the thrift stores but lately there has been much less stuff in the thrift stores.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Bradfor ,

You stop telling all our secrets :x

-The order will be hearing of this! :twisted:
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

blah blah blah. Order schmorder. They got a gripe with me, let me know and I'll "deal decisively" with them.
Pentaguishine
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Problem with verbal identification is you have to do it every time a new PC enters the area.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Hmmm...not sure what to do about that. I would hope the other PC's would inform the new ones, even if they have to say, "OOG, you see a demonic thing over there, " especially if their PC would not. The NPC would not have to repeat themselves ten million times in one scene.

Any other ideas? Mine was pretty lame.
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I would say if an npc is obviously playing something that a pc would not be playing, like a flesh golum for example, then, at least where there is light it makes sense to identify ourselves before we start chopping people to bits (or at least as we are swinging). Even where there isn't light, when playing an obviously non-humanoid creature, some sort of identification makes sense. However, if is outside at night and a humanoid, then no call is necessary. Basically, this gets rid of the need for the what do we see call. If we don't tell you then you see what you see...basically. If we do tell you, chances are you better prepare to get beaten into the ground (evil laugh)
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Yes, exactly.

As for new PCs arriving on a scene in progress, they pretty much always know it's up to them to find out what's happening, as the NPCs and PCs are currently occupied with interaction. Just by seeing the interaction (chatting amiably, argueing, or fighting), the new arrival gets an instant idea of the situation. New arrivals then normally find a fellow PC to ask "What's going on?"

The problem to rectify is initial contact. Must prevent people from thinking that 80 ft. angry cyclops that's approaching is just another non-descript peasant. :P
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

If we're thinking of using tags anyway, would color coding them to represent different aspects be an option? For example, a demon might be identified with a red tag, whereas a more natural beastie would sport a green tag. Undead could be black, etc. You could even scale the tag to the creature. While it's still no substitute for good costuming, seeing someone step out of the bushes wearing a massive red tag might allow for the kind of reaction we're looking for from the PC's.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Colors are hard to see in the dark, especially on the trails or if there is no moon and/or cloud cover.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

They'd probably work well during the day, though. But they'd have to be large, obvious, and viewable from all angles - more like colored vests.