Nicholson point system

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

GM_Chris wrote:Who are you?
I'm sorry, I don't think we've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'm on the NPC staff for WH. My real name's Josh but most people call me Cookie.
NPC camp's weapons are in horrible shape and we barely have spell packets. Every piece of anything we have was donated. We only have costuming because we got very very very lucky with someone who worked in a theater department and they were cleaning out stuff.
I should have been more specific. Weapon phys reps require money and effort to produce. What I was worried about is piles of donations of small items that came from the dollar store or a thrift store and may not be useful.
At this particular moment finances are not in the best of shape so there is absolutely no money to buy the gear. I live in Iowa so I am not making any. Mike has 3 children 1 of which is special needs. Then you have Jared who is working on all paper work and is planning a wedding.
Yeah, we're in a similar boat and by no means am I saying that we shouldn't encourage donations. I just want to make sure that it's understood what's being looked for so you don't end up with piles of stuff that you don't really need but now have to store and transport.

Wyrmwrath wrote:Just straight cash? Id say no, but I guess I can see the staff allowing it. but the ratio here is WAY off. Cash should be the LEAST effective way to get points, not the MOST effective.
sooo..i need to spend $30 to get $10 off of an event?
Sounds about right to me.
so if i NPC for 2 events I can get the same amount of levels it would take 3 events of NPCing to earn now?
I agree that the ratio should be adjusted. The whole event should be equal to the 4 levels and the single day should be less.
Kiel Reid wrote:Reward points can be used at specific chapters to purchase things for your characters.
This kills the 4 levels for NPCing for people that choose to play at one LARP and help at the other, people like you Kiel. :P Oh and me too eventually. Heheh. I understand the reasoning behind the rule but the problem is it doesn't really accomplish anything except limiting the staff of each game. Let's say Player A donates a ton of stuff to WH and get's a bunch of points. They then must spend those points at WH so they can't go into FH all powered up. But here's the thing, as long as Player A survives the event they can still go to FH. You already can take characters from one chapter to another so keeping the points separate is pointless.
Last edited by Phinkis on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am going to say it again. What are peoples issues with people who have spare cash? I dont have spare cash, but I dont discriminate against those who do. It feels a lot like racism to me. I am sorry that you are a very good researcher who has found the cure for cancer and your schedule makes it so you dont ave time to sew, or paint, or even construct a simple bopper weapon we dont want any part of your money. Really?

Why pick and choose how others can use their talents to help.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

I agree with Cris. Let's get some sugar daddies or sugar mommas up in here!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

What I was worried about is piles of donations of small items that came from the dollar store or a thrift store and may not be useful.

As I pointed out earlier, if taht happens, thats the fault of the STAFF, for not saying no thank you. I know Travis, Matt, Phil and Taki have NO trouble saying sood off when its needed. chris and mike I control with my chrystal skull of GM influencing....so ...

sooo..i need to spend $30 to get $10 off of an event?
Sounds about right to me
I would spend hours debating the wrongness of the fact you think thats even logical....if I thought anything we all say will even impact the values the GMs set.

or even construct a simple bopper weapon we dont want any part of your money
Chris your fired....its a BOFFER...a BOPPER was a muscicion form the 50's

:BIG:

now to find that chrystal skull to stave off a counter attack....
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

donating magic item physrep.................................................... 20
Thinking up and creating the Nicholson point system.................... 1,000,000,000
NPC an event........................................................................... 1,000
...Hey...im still getting my 1,000,000,000 points for thinking this all up arent !?!?

:mrgreen:

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

lol

In my hands a boffer is a bopper
Chris
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

*poke* Recycling what you used for your own LARP years ago, and have already proposed at least once here, doesn't count, Brian. A+ for effort, though. ^_~

http://www.finalhavenlarp.com/phpBB2/vi ... sc&start=0
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

lol
In my hands a boffer is a bopper
uhhhmm... apple.

no ...APPLE!

I mean ..ORANGE...HUNTER ORANGE... an entire grove of HUNTER ORANGE , oranges!!!

I need to bleech my eyes and my brain now....

GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Chris, I don't think people have anything against those who are more financially well-off, they just don't want a scenario where people feel that they have to be well-off to keep up with other players.

Just to re-emphasize, if we do implement such a system it should allow for people of all means to give to the games and enjoy the benefits. Giving cash, goods or services should be allowed and encouraged.

One potential issue is the universal desirability of cash. While you can have enough weapon phys-reps, I don't ever foresee a day when a cash donation is turned down because the Gm's have too much of it.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

While you can have enough weapon phys-reps, I don't ever foresee a day when a cash donation is turned down because the Gm's have too much of it.
If we had everything we needed and were always running with a surplus, we would discontinue the point system and I would turn down cash donations because it would feel wrong.

That said, we need a lot so I certainly don't foresee that day in the near future if ever.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I completely agree David, but to argue I dont want people to feel that just because a person might be currently unemployed or otherwise have a lot of free time he or she is getting special treatment either. :)

The good news is, we will put something in so a person no matter the situation doesnt somehow break the game. Also, since we are not other types of LARPS and require a lot of interdependency we dont have to worry about someone dropping us 1k and walking in and being so much more uber than everyone else.
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

*poke* Recycling what you used for your own LARP years ago, and have already proposed at least once here, doesn't count, Brian. A+ for effort, though. ^_~
:bad-words:

*rubs my chrystal skull of GM control*
...I want a ritual that prevents Christin from looking up old posts and using them against me....*concentrates hard on the GM genie wish*

:shocked!:

Sure it counts...I never said I JUST created it....
Also I refuse to lose my bazillion points because the GMs were slow and had to be kicked in the rup twice....a few years apart, to get the system voted on.

:snipersmile: :rainbow1: (thats a valkin' smiley)

I am just glad you have missed the small fact that the notion of the system is entirely plagerized even if the execution isnt.... so no more necropsying my posts for you missy!

:scatter:

Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

*grin* I just like support for my points. ^_^ Running at the mouth with no backing = fail... and it happens a LOT.

I'm just poking you because I know you're always good natured about it. Don't feel attacked, I'm just being pedantic. You should know I mean no harm in it.

(has a valkin'vi character... and so can TOTALLY Necropsy old posts... )
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

*looks up pedantic to see if big word using woman is making fun of me*

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Wyrmwrath wrote: A slippery sloap to what?
A slippery slope to what players think they are entitled to for donations. We did this our first year at WH and it led to SERIOUS bickering that led to several upset players and and at least one quitting. The problem? People made donations strictly for the sake of getting something in return and were pissed when the rewards weren't "good enough" for what they donated.

When I was at WH, at one point, the staff paid players at LEAST for the cost of materials for the items created. I'd rather see this trend continue, if people can't afford to outright donate, and instead just wanted to donate their time (which is fine).

If people want a better game, costuming, physreps and such, LARP is a group effort. If it's important for you to see a different quality in the game, step up and help out. Your reward is seeing a better game and that is all there should be to it.

Unless maybe you feel staff should be paid, like for a job? After all, they spend a ton of time on the game and should get something too, right?

Is this related? I don't know, but I've largely quit every game that has gone micro-transaction as I watch the quality plummet (and distinctions drawn between players).

The "Guide" related thread with it's rewards has me seriously concerned as well.

I'm clearly outvoted here, but this is my opinion.

One-shots, non-rechargeable items and event discounts, I could be ok with. Anything else has crossed the threshold for me.