Magic Item Creation Rules

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Magic Item Creation Rules

Post by Zeira »

So I was watching Harry Potter last night and thinking to myself...

"How the hell do they make all these damn magic items?!?"

But for some reason an idea for this game came to my head instead. What I'm going to present is a rough draft of something that won't be discussed until next year and that will be largely forgotten about due to a large amount of posts about Touch of Death, Seer Sleep or Weapon Specialization.

Creating Magic Items

For centuries the people of Phantara have been creating items of immense power. But the second cataclysm ripped that ability away. In a new and changing world the people learned a new way of infusing their items with power.

It happens in many different ways. Sometimes a persons essence is so strong that it leaves an imprint on an item. Other times the item is purposely created in such a way that it augments certain abilities.

In order to create a magic item a character must know the skill in which they are infusing into the item or have an ally who is willing to assist them in doing so.

The creating of an item takes place in between events. The base cost for the item is 1 Focus Material for every 5 character points to be infused into the item. There is also an additional cost of 1 mystic resource per character point spent to create the item. The Focus Material cost is waved if you are creating One-Time Use items.

Items are divided into 3 categories.

Full Ability - These items give you the ability in full as long as it is in your possession.

Charged Items - These allow you to use the ability a certain number of times per event.

One Time Use - These items can be used one time and are then gone.

Full Ability Items

The cost listed below states the Character Point cost, Magical Component Upkeep cost if you are infusing the item with a skill you possess.

Level 1 - 5 CP - 5 MC
Level 2 - 10 CP - 10 MC
Level 3 - 20 CP - 20 MC
Level 4 - 35 CP - 35 MC

If you possess the skill you use the chart below.

Level 1 - 4 CP - 4 MC
Level 2 - 8 CP - 8 MC
Level 3 - 16 CP - 16 MC
Level 4 - 28 CP - 28 MC

Charged Items

If you do not possess the skill you use this chart.

Level 1 - 2 CP for first charge and 1 CP for each additional charge - 2 MC
Level 2 - 4 CP for first charge and 2 CP for each additional charge - 3 MC
Level 3 - 8 CP for first charge and 4 CP for each additional charge - 4 MC
Level 4 - 12 CP for first charge and 6 CP for each additional charge - 6 MC

If you do possess the skill you use this chart.

Level 1 - 1 CP for first charge and 1 CP for each additional charge - 1 MC
Level 2 - 2 CP for first charge and 1 CP for each additional charge - 2 MC
Level 3 - 4 CP for first charge and 2 CP for each additional charge - 3 MC
Level 4 - 8 CP for first charge and 4 CP for each additional charge - 4 MC

One Time Use

If you do not posses the skill you use this chart.

Level 1 - 1 CP
Level 2 - 2 CP
Level 3 - 3 CP
Level 4 - 4 CP

If you do posses the skill you use this chart.

Level 1 - 1 (x2) CP
Level 2 - 1 CP
Level 3 - 2 CP
Level 4 - 3 CP

Magic Item Abilities

All of these abilities listed are as per the Discipline skill and has the same restrictions stated in their description there unless otherwise stated.

Level 1

Use Bow*
Disguise
Regenerate (Cannot raise total Regenerate abilities above 4 minutes for full heal)
Ambidexterity*
Repair Armor
Use Shield*
Throw Dagger*
Scout
Resist Disease
Throw Weapons*
Inescapable Bonds
Press
Taunt
Enchant Weapon

Level 2

Duel Wield*
Resist Poison
Resist Fear
Mind Games*
Iron Fists*
Repel
Escape Artist
Slick

Level 3

Shield*
Disarm
Disenchant
Banish
Fear
Avoid Missile*
True Shot
Impale
Flee
Utilize Poison
Lay on Hands

Level 4

Weapon Focus (Does not stack with Weapon focus from any other source)
Vorpal
Crush
Touch of Death
Duty Calls
Dagger Pin
Critical Shot (Grenadier)
Critical Shot (Archer)
Resist Shatter
Resist Magic
Plant Suggestion
Meditate
Take the Burden

* Indicates that it lasts for one scene.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Also this kind of change would merit another change to Craftsman as they are supposed to be the ultimate when making stuff.

Lvl 1 and Lvl 2 would stay the same. Lvl 3 would combine Lvl 4 to become one skill. And Lvl 4 would be...

Make some Magic - This ability allows a craftsman to make magic items during an event. For every character point used for crafting 1 hour must be spent forging the item. The craftsman is always treated as knowing the skill for the purposes of creating a magic item.

I know a lot of people are gonna be like "PC's making magic items!!! Broken!!!" However almost every other LARP has a mechanic for doing so and this on has allowed people to make them on a case by case basis. This gives people a good way to get those items they want without the wanton gutting of other PC's because they feel as though that is the only way to get anything cool.

I also feel as though there should be a limit as to how many of these items can be "Attuned" to a character at one time, maybe 1 item for every 10 levels a character has rounded up. Attuning an item must be done at check out.
Morgan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgan »

I like the concept, and I think this game balances itself out well, character point wise. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this play-tested.
Morgan Cyprian
Dwarf-Brother
Valken-kin
Gloom Bane