Thoughts on Skill Check calls

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Thoughts on Skill Check calls

Post by GM_Chris »

Again this is for people who like to discuss mechanics and not for people freaking out that FH is somehow changing or anything said here will ever be seen in FH. Doubt me then talk to the other GM's and thy will tell you there is nothing on the GM board about any of the crazy stuff I am posting. :)

Oppions on what I will call a Skill check "call"

so right now someone calls sleep, and you call resist sleep.

How about a skill check call like Fear 10

If your resist fear number is less than the number called then you are feared, but if more than you are not feared. This would be a passive skill.

You could even get a little creative and have 3 outcomes less than, more than, or tied.

You could go another way too. Half or less the number called, greater than or more than the number called, and in the middle.

Basically, You are afraid, you are really afraid, you are pissed and get some adrenealin bennift to damage against the person you feared you.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

The thought itself is good, though I can't see it working terribly well in the heat of combat or anything stressful. In times when even damage can be unclear, the clarity of something that can affect a character's entire reaction to the surroundings would need to be paramount.

Other than that, like I said, an interesting idea.

The deciding factor is also how you gain levels of resists that could make or break it as complicated or not. With a FH comparison, your idea of matching or exceeding the "Fear 10" to get a sort of "Adrenaline surge" against the monster requires three purchases of the "Resist Fear skill", which forces a player on being very focused on "Fear and Fear only", and still only nets you the ability to throw a fear immediately back at the monster, who will likely just be able to resist it and negate the entire process, as "Fear" comes after "Resist Fear" in skill costs.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

your right it wouldnt work in the current FH system at all.

Your thoughts on combat are my main concern as well. Play test it with a friend and get back with me :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

the only problem i see with attaching status effects to calls is the same problem with knockout, and one im still explaining to people all this time later. its hard to tell whats damage, or a number that represents somethings strength. especially in the heat of battle.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Its only hard when such a change is first made AND if the information isnt properly communicated to the players.

I have seen it done smoothly in a few LARPs.

The simplest method is:

number before effect is damage, after the effect is strength. For example:

"10 sleep"

you are hit with 10 damage, that if it makes it to life points you are put to sleep.

"sleep 10"

You are hit with an affect that, unless resisted, puts you to sleep with a strength of 10(10 minutes / 10 minus sleep resistance minutes_

"10 sleep 10"

You are hit with 10 damage that will put you to sleep, iof it does LP damage, for 10 strength (see above)

I have heard over the years on the FH/WH boards how hard it is to keep track of all the damage and effect calls if they get to complicated. Truth is they do it at NERO, Shifted Lands, CARPS, and several others. Hell at SL there are PCs with hundreds of skill/build points with DOZENS of COMBAT powers and effects.

What makes it hard at FH/WH is the infrequency of events and the frequency of near total rules revision.

Give the players more credit. They CAN handle sombat call with some complexity and depth. Especialy if it fits the skills of their PC.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

the frequency of near total rules revision
Gee, I don't think we've ever changed more than half the rules at a given time.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

While I like the idea in theory, my current rendition of LARP rules had a similar mechanic and it's messy in actual fighting.

I'm not saying it CAN'T work, just that it's messy to listen to and figure out, especially if you have multiple calls/resists going on at a time.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.