way off topic

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I'm coming from the side that Healers just wanna have fun.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

I second that Dallid!
Fionna MacNeil
Queen of the People of Haven

“We all at certain times in our lives find ourselves broken. True strength is found in picking up the pieces.”
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

HEALERS GONE WILD!!! Lets go tunic-less!! Wooooo!!!!!
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

Atrum Draconus wrote: Goonter it is supposed to be funny and make a point at the same time.
Great, then I took everything the way it was meant to be taken. I'm actually beginning to think a great hidden discipline could come of this... for nonhumans only!
The Wanderer
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Remember you do not need a discipline to have an order of human killers infact you could all be eaater of the dead :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

Better yet, how about a bunch of zero level healers as human killers... those are some deadly mofos!
The Wanderer
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Actually, Dani and I were joking and we wondered if there is even an established basis for calling some group in Phanterra 'witches', because otherwise a "Witch Hunter" really doesn't have a group to hunt, lol.

This coming from how I always wondered why Witch Hunter wasn't just called "Mage Hunter", because with the lack of any in-game religion you can't really have a strong stereotypical "Fire and Brimstone" witch hunter (that any layman would recognise), because they don't have a good tenet of rules to follow. I know I would love to see a FH style of Puritanical Van-Helsing style WH, it would be very cool to see.

Also just as a bit of random dumb info, the term "witch" only appears in the bible after the King James version, I believe, when it was put there during the Inquisition period. As far as I understand it, earlier versions use either a Hebrew or Aramaic term (I don't know it off hand), which loosely translates to "someone who uses their power (generic definition of power rather than supernatural powers) for evil/wrong."

Thus the original term would have been aimed more towards tyrants and 'general evil-doers/murders/rapists', but someone with enough power decided it should be changed, which should never happen. (It's like how some modern (and sufficiently bastardized) printings of the Koran have had the disgusting addendum "(such as the Jews)" added after the word "Infidels". In both cases, definitely NOT what was originally intended by the scribes when pen was put to paper for future generations to read.)

So basically 'suffer not the witch to live', would more literally be 'suffer not the evil-doer to live' in it's original context, which also supports the common image of a FH/WH/Carps "Witch Hunter" character archetype as I understand it's meant to be played.

'Witch' really wouldn't be a derogatory term if it wasn't most commonly attached to a form of persecution that, in some circles, is reputed to have killed nearly as many people over the centuries as the Nazi Holocaust- for just as ignoble a reason.

(This being in no way a jab at the bible, just some goofy information I came across. I personally have no problem with any kind of RL faith people want to follow to live their life (as long as it isn't directing unjust violence toward others, obviously), though I really don't follow any in particular)[/i]
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

and also, Wiccans picked a slur and called themselves that, not the other way around. They decided to call their practice the craft and themselves witches, regardless of the stigma. Wicca was created in the by educated historians 1950's as way to get back to their roots and resurrect the old druid type ways. (there is much debate about this actually.)
Travis Cole
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Quite true. Wicca is essentially an amalgam of many of the different Celtic pagan/druidic beliefs from the British isles (at least in it's pure form),though many of the basic foundations of it are from original pagan practices, such as the rule of three, (where whatever you put forth comes back threefold, both for good or ill), using anthame's (the little silver ceremonial dagger), viking 'futhark' runes for divining and blessing, etc.)

So it's not exactly scientology, but yeah, it's not that new. Most of the acknowledged 'creators' of Wicca are still alive.[/i]
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Off Topic note, anyone can RP a Van Helsing character. That’s one of the examples used for the Undead Hunter discipline. Most treat Banish as a magical spell, but it could easily be RPed through mundane means. Banish a vampire, what you really did was put a wooden bolt through is heart. Banish a zombie, you did major damage to the brainpan. Banish a skeleton, you dusted it with a mix of salt and iron filings. A Batman of the Undead – with a utility belt of perfect tools for any abomination. The 15 second charge time is *finding* (or prepping) just the right tool.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I call dibs on the full auto crossbow.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

NERF it!
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

cole45 wrote:NERF it!
bwhahahaha... (awesome on multiple levels earns you +10 internets)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Now I want to see someone make a FH version of Soloman Kane. That's more of what I was talking about.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

This coming from how I always wondered why Witch Hunter wasn't just called "Mage Hunter", because with the lack of any in-game religion
WITCH IS NOT JUST A RELIGIOS TERM!!!!!!! Sorry aboutt he CAPS but it is like people are not hearing me.

That is my entire point.

Witch means a user of magic.

Here is a great websiet
Witch hunter's are not nessissarily good or evil, infact it could be viewed as evil. I mean why hate on someone because they practice magic?

I know in CARPS they were specifically created to be "evil" The original idea was the psi corp from BAB5

As for the christian reference. I have not fact checked this with my strongs but in reading it, it sounds right.
I just want to make sure that we are very very clear on some things
Found the above. I mean if holloween is offensive then I really hope out of respect those people who want to remove the word witch will forgo any Holloween activities from here on out.

Also my entire conversation about removing magic from teh game seems to have fallen on death ears.

Anyways I am working my way throught he wiccan churches to see if any of them could help sory out this mess.

Thanks
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them