Escape Artist

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Escape Artist

Post by Zydana »

Escape Artist

By spending a Life point, an Assassin may escape any single regular bond or limb restraining device such as shackles or handcuffs (like a magician slipping out of handcuffs). In addition they may spend 5 minutes to escape from the Interrogator's inescapable bonds.

Any character that has the Escape Artist skill more than one time may escape from regular bonds instantly by spending an uninterupted five seconds OR spending a life point. Additionally, the character may spend a life point to instantly escape from the
Interrogator's inescapable bonds.
Specifically, "In addition they may spend 5 minutes to escape from the Interrogator's inescapable bonds."

Does that mean in addition to spending the life point or just in addition to being able to escape normal bonds?
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

im pretty sure that "in addition" is just refering to more stuff the skill can do, and that it only takes 5 minutes and not the cost of a life point
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

*bump*

Well, going with that unwritten rule, of ..

When you question how the rule works, pick the way that screws you over more as a player..

I will assume you have to spend a life point and then begin the five minute count until someone who wrote the rulebook decides to state otherwise.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

they may spend 5 minutes to escape from the Interrogator's inescapable bonds.

not only is that seperate, it applies to a different skill than the above. There is no attchment there.

it's just 5 minutes.
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

It appears attached to me..

In addition to spending the life point nessacary to escape normal bonds, you can also spend five minutes to escape the inescapable bonds.

I'm just sayin'...
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

execpt you took it out of the competently different sentence.

you can go skating for one hour. In addition you can have some ice cream.

those aren't paired.
Travis Cole
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Actually they are. The phrase In Addition calls back to the previous sentence. So, In addition to skating for an hour, you can have some ice cream. From an English language position, Ang is right. That said, I don't at all remember the intention of the skill, which is why I have yet to reply with anything meaningful, but for the record, I would have read the skill the same way you did, needing a life point and requiring five minutes. That goes against an either/or philosophy that we seem to have everywhere else, however, so yeah, I will remain vague until I talk to Chris.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The more I think about it, if that was really supposed to read, In addition to using the skill this way, you can also use it that way, then it was a very poorly written rule. Since none of the other rules are poorly written, that must not be what it means...
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Bwahahahaa
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I can tell you that as the NPC who is usually tied up, I spend the LP and the 5 minutes
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

yah.......how about that empath 1 life sleep call.

just saying.

hehehehe.
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I remember when I wrote it the intention was one or the other. Basically we wanted a difference between normal and inescapable bonds. We actually wrote the 5 minute skill first, and then the LP for normal. A Lp was quick, bust still a cost that made sense to get out of normal bonds instantly like a magician.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage