30 Days

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

The murderous lech Abbadon destroyed it then fled with Kami after learning he was going to be questioned about murdering Gabriel before and 2 more people the day before he left. Should have just killed all of them when Gabriel went missing. Now we have have more enemies that walked amongst us for years out there.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“The House of Chance was always concerned they faced destruction at the hands of the Inn faction, or an outside force such as Sil’van’dar. As with Haven, it would seem the greatest threat came from within.”

“But while I have known Abbadon to throw all else aside to seek vengeance for a perceived slight to his honor, it would seem the person hurt most by this destruction was himself. The House of Chance was his pride and joy, and his base of operations for organizing the Valkin’VI in their quest for Mistrallia. Are you certain of his motivations?”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

I am not sure it was Abaddon who destroyed the house.

This past month, I have been in Ingram's position (by Abaddon himself) in charge of the military matters of the House, and was myself duped into complacency, for I noticed nothing untoward before the incident happened. He even gave me keys to the House.

My animals had been growing restless inside the House these past few months, but I never knew why, and it seems he has had something horrible locked away in the basement- though the townspeople who knew about it have remained silent until after the fact, as is usual for this group; people who knew enough to stop something from happening to us only speak up after countless resources and personal property was destroyed, and people missing or dead.

The strangest matter is that after the ball, when we searched the ruins for traces of Abaddon and Kami, we found his staff, mask, and clothes lying in the road, laid plain for us to find. Could we have been facing an imposter? Possibly whatever he was keeping in thrall in the basement gained control over him?

I am also worried about Kami- whether or not Abaddon was himself, she seems to be an innocent bystander in this matter- but it seemed noone was worried about finding her, simply her master. Unless I have been duped by her as well, she was a kind soul who doesn't deserve this.
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

After giving his latest input into the time traveling conversation in the inn, Eli has been spending more and more time in deep meditation or casting spells. He is never seen without a book nearby filled with notes and pictures of rituals. In a most uncharacteristic manner he seems to be taking everything far more seriously than every before including his spell casting, instead of his usual haphazard method acting first and thinking later. He has also begun to become more irritable. He locks himself in his room or when there are others about in one of the empty buildings behind the inn for hours if not days at a time. He can from time to time be over heard talking to himself and saying things like I’ve almost got it, the solution is so close.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Dallid, I don't speak to his motivations but I'm sure he did the killing. I'm not even sure he was the one that destroyed the House, but it makes the most sense. If he were leaving town he wouldn't want to leave behind a fortified building, if he and Ingram plan on setting up shop somewhere else then they wouldn't want to leave any clue as to how they set protections up.

Rhul, perhaps you haven't heard me say many times over that there was a demon locked in the basement of the House of Chance that shared the same name as Abbadon's spider familiar, but you can't blame the lack of that knowledge on other people. Did you ask what was behind the doors that no one was ever allowed to enter? When you were given the keys to the house did you ask for a complete tour and explanation of what you were being tasked with protecting? You can't blame other people for you being duped by Abbadon and Ingram. I can understand giving people the benefit of the doubt, and I agree. But where there's smoke there is usually fire, I learned that lesson the hard way, and now so have you. Perhaps a few people have learned lessons.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Gabrial
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gabrial »

*Gabrial walks in looking very tired*

Sorry I'm late Atrum. I haven't been feeling well as of late, but it is passing out of my system and I should be fine. Now I heard you are in need of help?

*Gabrial sits down at a table and pulls out his book of gate codes*

You may also need something out of here I think.
Sometimes you need to see the world in a different way...
Fionna
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Fionna »

Meanwhile, Fionna has spent more time than usual at her and Esmerelda's alchemy lab. She seems to be testing something. In addition to the usual bottles, vials, and herbs, there is a new bottle to the mix. This one is full of a dark, thick, opaque liquid that seems unfamiliar, even to the experienced alchemist.

"I will figure this out eventually!! Damnit that's not it either.." She constantly mutters to herself.

While not at her lab, she is constantly out in the woods. She returns covered in debris from digging under brush, looking for that last herb she needs.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

No, Atrum, I absolutely blame noone but myself for allowing Abaddon to mislead me. I never asked what was behind the door out of simple naivete, and because I tend to trust too much and allow people their 'little' secrets- much the same as why I never demand to know what goes on behind the doors of Esmerelda or yourself, or go wallowing around in Fionna's alchemy lab.

The way I understood it, the door in question simply held extremely important valuables behind it, such as (to my understanding) it held the original bell for a time. It also seems that after events of late, the simple act of asking would likely have gotten me killed in my sleep, and without a doubt leaving noone to care enough as to wonder why I died.

(OOG game, I even opened the "black door" with my keys before the ball, and stored my armor suit(s) right next to the bell. If there were anything sinister a character could see behind the door by physically opening it, I was never made aware of it other than if I were to metagame about what I have read online that Rhul never "saw" in-game)

As for this "demon"....no I never heard a thing about it. Absolutely nil. I assumed the spider was his familiar, albeit a more sinister version of Scrounger. I do not travel in the same circles of "common" knowledge that you do.

But on the same note, it seems enough people did have enough knowledge that they should have done something about it sometime far before now and comfronted him, rather than letting people without any notion of the danger to be at risk to the 'villain of the week'.
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan sits studying the map, muttering to himself and making notes in a small book. As Atrum and Rhul continue their conversation, he glances up and the muscles of his jaw visibly clench.*

“I swear I’ve heard this conversation before. Somebody betrays the town and we sit around blaming each other for not stopping them. I’ve got no clue whether that was Abaddon that burned down the House of Chance or not, but if it wasn’t him he still brought that shit on all of us. I actually liked Abaddon, but he fucked with something he couldn’t control and put all of us at risk. Charlesk and Edward paid for his bullshit, and that’s two more swords we won’t have to go against the elves. Maybe people knew, maybe they should have known, maybe someone could have stopped him - but then again, if they were going to stop him someone would have warned his ass anyway!”

*Clearly disgusted, Korrigan turns back to the map. Unable to focus, he throws his book over his shoulder.*

“You know what? None of this planning means jack-diddly if we can’t trust each other. As long as everybody here has got shit going on under the table, we’re fucked. All these outside loyalties, all these shadow games, this cloak and dagger bullshit… why bother stopping the elves when there’s a pretty good chance we’re gonna kill each other anyway? Fuck this, I need a drink.”

*Korrigan walks over to the bar, grabs a bottle, and walks out the door.*
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Seeing the bottle he had just set for himself get grabbed Val reacted impulsively leaping from his hiding place behind the bar the bar top and howling as he sprang towards Korrigan's back arms clenched outstretched for the samurai's neck ready to wrest his precious drink back from the giant.

Unfortunately, the wee man's visceral reaction met with the ageless skill and peripheral vision of a samurai warrior as Korrigan sidestepped evading the flanking attack. Val sailed comically through the air landing hard on his face.

"...ow." The little man groaned.

There was a confused hush in the room for a moment. Then Val bolted up from the floor with a bloody nose intent on pursuing Korrigan.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“No doubt Abbadon had reasons for killing them. That he appeared to do so in secret does paint such motivations in a sinister light. A trial would indeed have been illuminating.”
“Yes, Abbadon dealt with a creature known as Yaziel. As some of us experiment with alchemical components and others with magic, Abbadon experimented with extraplanar beings. Many experiments – in all such fields – have been dangerous. Given our situation, such risks have always been warranted, even though sometimes they have caused great harm.”
“It is only natural that we try to find the cause of the catastrophes that befall us so that we can find ways to prevent them in the future. Sometimes, however, there is no fault. Sometimes we must simply accept what has happened and move on.”
“And sometimes, the cause can’t be determined, and so no lessons can be learned. Sometimes too little is known about the incident to learn anything. It would seem only Abbadon can provide that information. Please keep that in mind should you come across him. He, or perhaps Yaziel, knows why Charlesk and Edward died, and why the House of Chance was destroyed. Perhaps his guilt is less than appearances dictate.”
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

The Valkin' VI', who up until now had been silently sitting in the corner watching and listening finally speaks up...

"While I agree with the fact that no one knows what truly happened at the House of Chance, shouldn't we be using this time to actually plan our assault? I understand that trust is a precious commodity that is easily broken, but what of the greater danger that threatens us all? As much as I hate to say this, but should we not deal with Abaddon after we stop this ritual? It is as Korrigan stated... If we can't stop the in-fighting and backstabbing and learn to trust each other, at least until this is over, then nothing we do will matter and it will be as if the elves have already won. I, for one, have already vowed to not let that happen, so if I must go there alone and attempt to stop them single-handedly, then so be it. So please, don't let my little outburst disrupt your debate on what exactly happened to the House of Chance."

He pauses to catch his breathe, as that was the longest he's ever spoken to anybody. He slowly walks to the door, lost in thought about the preparations he needs to make for the upcoming battle.
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Rhul heaves a great sigh, his eyes sorrowful after Korrigan's outburst.

Hhhhhhh....as I had thought. Even after two years, it seems I haven't earned enough trust amongst you to fill a tankard halfway. Were only I one of the lucky few to be able to simply voice my opinion on something without afterwards being put in my place from one side, while having an expletive-filled outburst meet me from the other, both from people who if they were in my place making the same observations, would be listened to with understanding eyes and sagely nods.

But that is an argument for an entirely different time, I would say.

(He leans over the table to Esmerelda)

I'm sorry, Esmerelda. Somewhat naively, I didn't realize that speaking up would so vehemently derail something that we should all be finding so important to solve. You have my apology, and I won't do so again. The elves and their associated situation should be given our utmost attention.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“If fault *is* to be found, it should be appropriately placed. I am the one who started this side discussion regarding the House of Chance, but only because I feel it is an issue that must be addressed. I was afraid a thirst for vengeance may cause distraction from more pressing concerns, and hoped to promote a more patient quest for truth, instead. With such patience, the issue of Abbadon might be set aside, for now, to be focused upon more intently at a more prudent time. That’s not to say we shouldn’t also remain vigilant, and snatch up opportunities to learn the truth when they are found.”
“Rhul, your views and insights were key to this discussion, and you have my thanks for presenting them. Trust that your intellect is respected, and your words draw rapt attention.”
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Gabriel, Dallid are you ready to go? Gabriel we will definitely need your map.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!