November event

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

I HATE MAGIC Immune Monsters! HATE HATE HATE! I am an Empath/Arcane. Monsters who take nothing and are not effected by Magic are pointless IMO (if you need to keep them up give them resist magic that costs a LP so at least I know they are taking 1! and yes lets also limit their life to a reasonable number like 20 or less!).
Now that's just unfair. Do you know how many times I have played Rhul, who is a real bruiser in melee, and been completely useless because he can't channel magic and the rampaging monster is only damaged by magic? And this is at both WH and FH with the same character.

Sometimes you can't be the guy who kills the monsters. You are the back-up for the ones who can. When Rhul can't hurt something, he blocks for the people who can hurt it, because he's a HP-sink. And you have a sword and shield, which is going to do just as much damage as I can (without raging), but I don't get the benefit of a shield to block, only my fists- which things can surge through.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

True, but Steve has a good point about the crushing, immune to magic combo which might not be a good combo for wandering monsters.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

GM_Chris wrote:

The elves though do feel that they are noble and really the only ones suitable to govern all other races. I mean look at the mess everyone is doing. I can tell you right now Haven has never been a more peaceful place since the elves took over. :)
Yeah that's cause we have already dealt with all the dragons, fire elemental gods, and rampaging warlords and such that want to take over the world. We're their biggest threat! :P
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Hey Elves can't get dirty with all of that fighting. Some races are meant to govern while others are meant to, hmm how do I put this nicely...Take out the trash. I assure you the elves are happy with the part you, and your fellow adventurers played in bringing peace and would have awarded you, but it was all of you who didn't want to be ruled by elves.

REBELS! and dare I say a little Racist
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

GM_Chris wrote:but it was all of you who didn't want to be ruled by elves.
... not everyone was completely against the idea. :cry:
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

GM_Chris wrote:Hey Elves can't get dirty with all of that fighting. Some races are meant to govern while others are meant to, hmm how do I put this nicely...Take out the trash. I assure you the elves are happy with the part you, and your fellow adventurers played in bringing peace and would have awarded you, but it was all of you who didn't want to be ruled by elves.

REBELS! and dare I say a little Racist

Code: Select all

“Nothing is given to man on earth - struggle is built into the nature of life, and conflict is possible - the hero is the man who lets no obstacle prevent him from pursuing the values he has chosen.” - Chamberlain

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Franklin

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."  -Madison

“We humans do, when the cause is sufficient, spend our lives. We throw ourselves onto the grenade to save our buddies in the foxhole. We rise out of the trenches and charge the entreched enemy and die like maggots under a blowtorch. We strap bombs on our bodies and blow ourselves up in the midst of our enemies. We are, when the cause is sufficient, insane.” -Card
The hammer falls, the fires rise, and we are forged into something harder, sharper and more pure... more heroic. You cannot shape a person into a hero and expect anything less than heroism. No tyranny, however masked by words or falsehoods, is acceptable to the heroic heart. [/code]
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

True, but Steve has a good point about the crushing, immune to magic combo which might not be a good combo for wandering monsters.
True, but I'd rather have that than some NPC's I've come across in my experience. Like wandering monsters who fight with a sword and shield and throw constant 3 crushes with a 5-count. Try getting stuck against one of those alone with just a two-hander or just fists. It sucks.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Rhul wrote:True, but I'd rather have that than some NPC's I've come across in my experience. Like wandering monsters who fight with a sword and shield and throw constant 3 crushes with a 5-count. Try getting stuck against one of those alone with just a two-hander or just fists. It sucks.
Of course not every single monster is meant to be able to be fought one on one. This isn't a single player game.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Personally I like Monsters that take a little thought to defeat..

That being said, as the person playing the Monster, you should remember that you are not there to prove anything, you are there to make it fun for the players.. now again you may not make all the players happy, but there is no pleasing everyone.

It is my goal this year at WH to make the players think a little when fighting creatures that are roaming around. As a player I got real tired of all the "Cookie-cutter" creatures running around, or worse yet the all too powerful wandering monsters.

It may be silly but in some ways I like the thought of monsters that you might find on Buffy (the tv series), Angel, Charmed.. etc.. that seem really powerful but have a weakness that you have to find.. and while they kick your butt the first or second time you fight them, in the end you feel even better about beating them.

Silly I know.. but I do have weird thoughts in my head a lot.. (Grin).

In the end, we all hope the players have fun, and we learn from our mistakes.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

putting thought into killing you're enemies?

like finding thier one weakness and using it against them reminds me of this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49935/america ... s-p3-so-i0

I must give credit to my son for this one I would have Never have known about this if not for him.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Eli wrote: Then there is the Elves
I am still not sure why upon being an elf and a mage and an empath I wasn't killed by npc's just for being. Not saying I want to be killed, but the plots, including PC driven ones have basically taken arguably the most Noble race in 90% of RPG's and turned them into their dark skinned kin. Heck there is even a PC who is the product of elf rape!? I've never heard of such a thing. Humans taking an elf woman sure, but vis versa. I suppose it could happen but then I've always seen them as too civilized for that sort of behavior. Not to mention not being driven by sexual desires or even considering as a form of gaining power over another. Sort of like they don't really have base level crimes only major stuff like, idk genocide of all none elves. Basically Elves are now a mix of humans and dark elves, which is just weird to me. I heard in game this last event how dark elves were so much more trustworthy than light elves. I just cannot see Elves as the ultimate "evil" race in a game.
I'm not sure how off-topic this is for the thread. So, sorry if it's a derail.

I love reading people's opinions on roleplaying matters, so I hope if I'm playing devil's advocate here (and I'm not, really, just reflecting), I'm not stepping on anyone else. It is also not meant to be a rant, just a ramble. Also not meant to be a reflection of Final Haven or Winter Haven staff's opinions, just mine. End of disclaimer.

The problem is, you have to decide as a GM and world-builder, how much control you allow the players to have over personalizing their character, especially in this setting, where a lot has happened and a lot of variety from a roleplaying standpoint is possible. You also have to be consistent about it, or people get upset. If a player is following all the mechanical rules, at what point do you choose to say "No, I don't feel that is appropriate for that race. You need to play your character THIS way." At what point do you tell someone they are roleplaying badly? You really can't, fairly. You can try to help them or educate them (After all, they just might have a misinterpretation of the setting), but you can't really "force" them to play a certain way. We have people here who pretty much state they don't really roleplay. Do you tell those people they aren't welcome if they aren't out-right breaking immersion for other players with OOC and lack of costuming? Yes, stereotypes have to come from somewhere, but players are meant and allowed to break that mold, as far as I'm concerned.

For examples, there were dwarves like Lambic who didn't like the fire element thing (and didn't know about it when they created their character) and after they heard about it were like "Huh? Oh, no...I'm an Aldestan dwarf." I don't seem to recall the GMs going "Yeah, you can't do that. Roleplay it the way we want you to, or don't play at all."

Should they have disallowed Corbyn's activities? After all, if elves are supposed to be goodness incarnate, very little that he did could be said to be done justifiably. We don't know the character's exact mindset or reasoning (or that of the elves), but he certainly didn't fit that mold. Should the GMs have stepped in and said: "We don't feel this is appropriate behavior for an elf, cease and desist immediately."

Technically, I don't think I've ever seen a long-lived race played the way it's probably supposed to be, because it's hard as a human being to replicate the sensation of nigh-immortality.

Players will view things the way they want to. Player characters are seeing the elves as evil, because they are looking at a mix of Corbyn's actions and the elves. They are lumping both in together, because of their perspectives on the situation. That is not something the GMs are responsible for, this is a natural evolution of player perspective.

Let's look at another perspective on the elves (I bring these perspectives up based on something I've been writing for awhile, which makes all of this the more, erm, interesting for me) A disclaimer here that I'm NOT talking about the acceptability of real-world counterparts in war/torture/politics or whatever. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not reply to me about Hitler, Stalin and various religions, I'm trying to analyze this from a purely In-Character (Not necessarily one of mine, just in general) level of information:

Were people really sure that the elves were going to "enslave" the Havenites, not just unify the scattered people of the world? Was there proof of that elsewhere? They'd been sending in diplomats for a long time and got impolite brush-offs, not to mention, worse. Diplomats were poisoned, disrespected and otherwise abused when they were only offering options and benefits. Even in the active battle, they offered quarter until they were laughed at and attacked. Most of the outright murder in the final battle was PCs against PCs, however coerced.

It may have been a thought that rankled the PCs, living under the banner of the elves, but would they really be such bad rulers that the Havenites were fighting so hard and dirty for independence? Were the Havenites REALLY doing such a good job of ruling themselves? Seriously? Would it have been so bad to have a barbarian army come marching into town and as Vassals to the elves, be able to tell the elves "Yeah, we're being attacked, as your vassals, we need help." The elves probably had little interest in killing the farmers/tradesmen/fishermen/etc, that was orchestrated by other people, to the best of my knowledge, they might have been better protected by the elves than by the PCs. How many times did a townsperson come in begging for help, just to be brushed off or told that "other matters are more pressing for us." How many townspeople were killed for walking into town?

Are the actions of the elves really that unthinkable? Or is this a natural evolution of such a long-lived race? After all, most people have the view of elves as arrogant...isn't it possible that maybe they've just finally had enough with the rest of the world messing things up affecting them, that they feel they have to take an active stand as one of the elder races?

Even things people might consider evil by some elves can be attributed to current events and long lives: Boredom is the big one here, but good, old fashioned self-justified superiority comes in at a VERY close second, and I think someone would have a hard time convincing me that most elves aren't at least a little bit conceited (justifiably or otherwise). I don't necessarily think the former one applies to the elves at large (although it goes a long way to explaining the perceived "cruel" actions of some elves), but the latter? After all, if you are wiser, older, stronger and more civilized than everyone else, don't you have the burden of sharing that with the rest of the world? And if they are too ignorant to be honored by what is being offered, well, maybe you have to force it on them, for their own good, of course, because, well, they don't know any better.

Just some food for thought from the mouth of a sometime fantasy philosopher. :lol:

**WARNING: SOME DISCUSSION OF ADULT CONTENT BELOW. STOP HERE IF THAT BOTHERS YOU **
|
|
|
|
|
|
Now, because it segues into highly adult matters, I think issues like rape, torture and other "Adult Content" in a character's background, MIGHT be something the GMs should be involved in, or at least informed of, so they can be aware of possible problems. Maybe. I don't know on that one.

Unless it's solo material, or it's something worked out-later, I don't generally go beyond a FADE-TO-BLACK in any kind of roleplaying, because it's too hard to tell where people's borders for comfort (and reality) are. I'm fortunate enough to understand my boundaries, and tell people to stop when I feel they are going too far, but not everyone does. I'm comfortable with physical contact in a LARP, in fact, I like hugs and embraces, hands on shoulders, teasing, leading, dragging, etc, even those "rougher" actions, most things one could think of in a LARP and I am able to keep those actions In-Character without complications. There are only a few things I would consider too far (that's what the safe-words are for, right?), and while I'm comfortable with verbal descriptions of such actions, actual physical sexual activities involving fluids and whatnot :shock: are a definite no-no, and should be, as it creates RL complications. In fact, it's even in the rulebook.

NPCing at Winterhaven, there are NPCs who have physically tortured PCs in-game. During a couple of these sessions, because we had to move the scene to a warmer location, the seated player in a safe area was blindfolded (To keep the immersion), they were not physically bound, of course, but we had them put their hands together, or hold them up as necessary, to simulate being bound, or during physical actions describing the torture. Player OOC comfort is a serious concern for me, I believe in every occurrence of this, before we even started, I verbally asked the player to PLEASE say something if they were uncomfortable or became uncomfortable and we would stop, because we wanted the game to be fun. If a scene like that isn't fun for the player, why would I do it? Actually, I think in a least one case, Travis and I were more scared than the player...you know who you are...you have one hell of a scary scream!

I don't feel adult content should be disallowed afterall, this is an adult game. The point remains (and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone) that if you feel uncomfortable, even if it's just words, you need to speak up and use the safewords before someone gets past your trigger point. Even if you don't know, if you think you "might" be uncomfortable with the way the conversation is headed. Good or bad, some of my guilty-pleasure favorite plots were those of a more adult nature.

Hmmm...a half-elf because of rape by an elf? I can see where the thought is "Why would an elf do that?" See some of my above on Boredom. I don't think it would be highly normal elven behavior either, considering the genetic superiority thing, unless reproduction wasn't the desired or expected outcome, (I can, however, see an elf having a "pet") but it's not like most of the half-elves walking around have that kind of a background. Mine didn't.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

holy crap that's a long post. Perhaps your longest yet!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Yeah well, I've been saving up. :lol:
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

to seem small next to Heidi's post all I can say to Eli's post about Elves being good and stuff everywhere else he has seen..

Well this is Final Haven after the Cataclysm.. nothing is as it once was, and I for one love the fact that the Elves are seen as one of the most evil races around right now.. it brings the world more alive for me when playing, knowing that I am not in a storybook, but a living vibrant world that I can effect.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Well as being the said Half-Elf in question Id thought Id chime in...

My whole idea is and has always been that the elves of my homeland are a VERY militaristic and not above resorting to questionable things to achieve the goals they want. Now I have left my background vauge on a great many things, leaving that up to the whims of the gms....and the being a Spoil of War, Is ONLY the way MY character takes it, could his mother actually consented, sure its very possible, same reasons for alot of other things in my background that I left open to interuptation (sp?)

I just wanted to play a character with a definite sense of Grey, and i figured that his mannerisms would be quite well defined if he believed something so horrific happened to him, and wanted to play with a chip on my shoulder...

If this has caused anyone problems, I do appologize, and I will try to refrain from being inconsiderate about peoples feelings.

And as I said, the Elves in Seriths past are very different than the elves from phantarra, and Serith is begrudgingly started to realize that, but
there are some elves that still fit his mold of hatred....
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"