Fear Immunities

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Fear Immunities

Post by Kalphoenix »

What are the bonuses for extra fear resists/immunities?

I looked them up but must not have done very well because I can't find them.
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

From Level 2 Beast Hunter
The Beast Hunter can spend a life point to ignore any kind of fear effect. Characters who invest in Resist Fear from two separate disciplines gain an immunity to fear. In addition, characters who have purchased two resist fear skills and who are a Guthrie may, upon being struck by a Fear call, immediately swing for Fear against the attacker. This is to represent the fact that their impressive stoicism can be frightening to those used to relying upon their own intimidation.
underlining was added by me
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

So a Guthrie that only bought one resist fear gets no bonuses? You must be Guthrie and purchased TWO resist fears as well to swing fear.

Nifty none the less.

Also is that swinging fear with no charge time or other costs?
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

I would say that it is a reflexive call. If not used immediately, with no charge time or life point cost, the call would be lost, until you are struck by a fear call again.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

So as a clarification: A Guthrie Knight gains NO bonus for Racial fear immunity and a fear resist (Like a Guthrie/Knight?), the points for the 2nd level skill are just gone for nothing received?

I'm not contesting it, per say, I'm just clarifying.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

They will, I hope.

Currently, immunity to said call deosn't really have a clear cut definition. It will. My thoughts have always been that immunity removes that word from the call (same as CARPS). Ie. if I'm hit with a 30 fear and I have immunity to fear, I still take the 30 unless I use parry or some other skill.

Thus, a guthrie knight could not only ignore regular "fear" but also resist "30 fear" and only take 1 life point of damage.

Again, this is my pipe dream.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I think that is bunk.

If Guthrie get immunity to fear... then they get it. None of this 'you have to buy it twice to get the effect others get' crap.

If Guthrie having immunity to fear is broken then we should stage it back to a resist to balance the races better, or state it in the boon they can never get better or purchase resist fear again, or throw fear ever.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I've said all along that no race should get any immunities, and it's been shown that fear is one of the best attacks in the game because it gives you time where the person can't resist anything. 2 people, one that can do fear can kill another person with 1's without that person ever getting off a shot. But that opinion isn't apparently shared by a majority of people that can effect rules changes.

I think that Guthries should have to purchase any skills that anyone else would to get the benefits that anyone else would get. They shouldn't get a bonus because they get a better racial boon.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Okay, so Orc pikemen only get press once, Human Bureaucrats are only privileged, and Elf booms and Valkenvi knockouts do not stack with other skills then too?

They shouldn't get a bonus, but they shouldn't get castrated either. The issue is the racial boons aren't balanced, so lets fix that not make Guthries pay extra for the way they are built in the book.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Very true, but I REALLY don't like the Guthrie getting a double dip for having the best racial boon. So they should get a free resist in the fear stack, but not start off at immune.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I agree, it should be a resist.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I agree also. It should be a resist, not an immunity.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Onimaster wrote:I think that is bunk.

If Guthrie get immunity to fear... then they get it. None of this 'you have to buy it twice to get the effect others get' crap.
huh? How do Guthries have to buy it twice? If Guthries buy resist fear, they get resist fear and a cool boon. With only the immunity, they get exactly that. Anyone else will never get that.

As for fear being awesome, it's a third level discipline power. Should we nerf disarm too as it can do the same thing and is harder to resist?

If guthries are reduced / changed to resist, they need tweaking. Dwarves are resistant to poison and have 2 life. Guthries give up a life point for... a weaker resist?
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Well, a "weaker" resist is a matter of opinion. :wink:
Fear surges and can be packet driven and poison has to get to your life and is melee. You are FAR more likely to be affected by a fear call than a poison call once you are engaged in a battle. And Frankly the fact that they still could get an immunity to fear AND have a really easy track to getting to swing for fear because of their resists HAS to count for something. Name me ANY other resist where you can eventually be immune AND be able to make a call with it.

I don't think anyone here is talking about nerfing any disciplines, but then again if there WAS a discipline that gave you immunity to fear even at 4th level it would have been nerfed years ago. And Dwarves DID have immunity to poison until it was pointed out that was broken.

Yeah I know it's been brought up a few times since the second year that giving immunities as racial boons is broken, but I'm never gonna stop beating that drum. Maybe eventually the people that make the decisions will feel the rhythm. The difference is this immunity won't kill an entire town. :P
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Man, from this conversation I am surprised everyone aren't guthries...