Inner Strife

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum laughs at Aurora*
You really are whipped aren't you.

Anyway, I never said anything about killing anyone. What I have told King Galen is that I would not further the hostilities between Ingram and I while we were on his doorstep and I have held to that. I have personally kept people from walking up to the house and killing Ingram because what is most important to me is that our community survives and prospers. What I said to you Aurora is that I would hate for any of Sanguis Lupus to be caught up in anything that might result from townsmembers fearing they may share Gabriels fate because they strongly disagree with Olan. And yes, I have said that if it came down to it I would kill him, I will not let the same thing that happened with Corbyn happen again. I'm sure if you asked Olan he would say the same thing.

And yes Aurora I said you were naive, because you are. And unfortunately you are too naive to even see it. I NEVER said anything about killing people in the house of chance because they reside there. What I DID say is that what I didn't want was people dying because they chose to protect a murdering liar. The LAST thing I want is strife amonst the people, I have been working for that for many cycles now. However, I won't just stand aside and let the same thing that happened in Haven happen again.

What I have done is not let people forget that OLAN is not what he says he is, he is a dark elf parading around as a human because Olan had created enough enemies within Haven with his deceit that he dare not show his face. That he has betrayed me in the past, that he tries to manipulate everyone he comes in contact with to one degree or another. That the house of chance keeps a foul thing inside of it. While the manipulation may be my observations the rest are facts.

Abbadon, if you want to find the scavengers and bugs that have surely devoured her carcass by now be my guest. We didn't bury her in a proper burial so she was exposed to any scavengers and weather.

Korrigan is right, unfortunately I will never trust that dark elf ever again, and he will always hold me responsible for what happened in Haven. So, it will stay at an impass until one of us leaves or dies and I'm not going anywhere as long as he is around.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at Atrum unphased*

You do want strife. Your very words, your very insults consist of a man looking to regain wounded pride. All you appear to care about to me, since day one when I met you, is what is best for Atrum Draconus and not for what anyone else wants or desires.

Dallid, for example wants this chaos, this bickering to stop, but you CHOOSE to dig your heals in the sand instaed of listen to advice or even what other like Malachi here wants.

You insult anyone who opposes be it myself, Abaddon...anyone. You will not listen to what people tell you for your mind is already made up.

As I stated you believe all damaging things about Ingram to be true then put him on trial. Stop the insanity YOU'VE created.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Interesting, coming from someone so narrow minded that she would let a small thing come between her and someone she called uncle.

You know nothing of me because you haven't taken the time to learn anything about me. Ask anyone who was in Haven how hard I worked to minimize strife. Ask them how I always listened to ANYONE that approached me with a concern, even Ingram wouldn't deny that because he was the one that approached me most often. Ask the people of the village what I have done for them. Ask Robert who taught him to read and pushed him to become the leader and great man he has. Just as you haven't taken the time to investigate anything for yourself. I highly doubt you've taken the time to learn anything about me.

And yes, I choose to dig my heels in where Olan is concerned. Should I betray the people I have called family and friends and go against my better judgement and fall in with him because of what someone else asked me to do? Oh wait *Looks Aurora dead in the eyes* someone has already fulfilled that role.

I take what Dallid says to heart, I do. But he asks me to stop trying to protect the people I sore to do so. Because I don't lead some of the people anymore does not alleviate my responsibility that I took on. Answer me this Aurora, would you knowingly work with a vampire because someone asked you too? Would Dallid? I think not. I am doing what I pledged to do just as you wuold. You have chosen to dedicate yourself to the destruction of undead, I have dedicated myself to doing what I can to protect the villagers and townsmembers that believed in me.

He WAS on trial, I presided over it, as I said, his life has been in my hands and I chose not to take it. Your assertions are ridiculous. Ingam has created whatever he has by his own actions.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"It becomes apparent that something must change. I do not want to continue bickering. What can we do to allay fears? I have spoken with Lady Esmerelda on many occasions. We have opened our doors, have told you everything you ask.

What, can we do to make peace? Would asking Lord Dallid to spend time at the House help? What do we need to do? Tell me, and I will make it happen."
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at Atrum she is still unphased by anything he is saying.*

Narrow-minded, eh..why because I do not think like you nor do feel like tolerating this madness any longer? Settle this issue with Ingram either in a duel or bring him up on charges with the Gendarmen for the possible murder of Gabriel and present all this "evidence" that you have. Stop dragging the rest of us into YOUR issue.

There is the Red Tear, vampires, werewolves, who knows what other foul magic in this area about and we need to be concerned with. There is also keeping an eye out for the elven nation to make there way here. That is what we should be concerned with and not wondering when the civil war will errupt and we all have to watch for the daggers to be stuck in our backs.

How does your plan go to take back your Haven?

As for me not getting to know you, one can say the same about you getting to know me.

*Looks at the rest assembled*

As for the vampires, while I was fighting the werewolves I did catch out of the corner of my eye Dallid being ever-vigilant. He and I believe a few others with him, I believe most of the undead slayers we have, we all over destroying and elimating the vampires.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan sits down, throws his feet on a nearby chair, and takes off his hat.*

"Look kids, I'm sure some of you have some pretty little dream of bringing everyone here together to be heroes or something, but you may as well forget that shit right now. The only way you're going to have a bunch of happy people who all get along is to flat out kill anybody who won't submit. You folks want unity and order? You should have let the elves take over. They would have made things mighty orderly, that's for sure... but no, you fought back. Why? Why didn't you just bend your knee and be happy with your point-eared masters? No killing, no fighting, no dying... just new folks in charge."

*Pulling a flask from his belt, Korrigan takes a long drink.*

"I'm damn serious about this, think about why you all didn't just give in. You chose freedom over peace. You chose freedom over unity. You decided you'd rather die... and kill... than be "unified" under someone else's rules - but now you expect people to unify? Freedom means a lot of things, including the freedom to hate somebody and tell everyone else to piss off if they don't like it. I give Atrum credit, at least he's man enough to put his hate right out in the open for everyone to see. At least he's willing to tell everyone else to shove their happy-unity bullshit and not let himself get burned again."

*Korrigan takes another long drink and throws his empty flask behind the bar.*

"You all need to figure out what's more important to you, your precious morals or your precious lives - cause in the end, you're only going to keep one of them. Vampires, elves, Red Tear, werewolves, Atrum, Ingram... it doesn't matter a damn bit what other people think, just figure out who you're willing to kill and get on with it. That's what you're all going to do in the end anyway - what's best for you. Well... maybe not Dallid, but he's a true believer, and that means he's so screwed I actually feel sorry for the bastard."

"Actually, you know what? Never mind. Screw it, pretend like you all really trust each other. Give up the only thing you've got left, your freedom, and tow the line so that people around here can have some illusion of fellowship. Forget all your doubts and put on a happy face. At least I won't have to deal with all this bitching for a while."
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Seems to be your issues Aurora, have I ever asked you or anyone else to do anything against the house of chance or Ingram? No, I have not. I have kept my word to King Galen. You seem to have an issue with me and what I choose to do. Go on doing what you feel you must and I will go on doing what I feel I must and hopefully those things won't be diametrically opposed.

As I've said on a few occasions Abbadon, I have no qualms with talking with you about what can be done. I will never trust Olan again, but that doesn't mean I can't work with him or anyone else that happens to support him. I extended that offer moons and moons ago to you in private, and it still stands.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Each side has concerns. Valid concerns. Each side fears betrayal by the other. They have seen what such betrayal can cost them, and will not risk it happening again.”

“But what must be kept in mind is the cost of acting too soon on fear and suspicion. Were Far Reach to destroy itself for reason of rumor and possible wrong-doing alone, such death and destruction can be added to Corbyn’s tally. It would be the fear he has instilled that brought such additional carnage to bear.”

“Again, the concerns I hear are valid. They should not be dismissed, but investigated thoroughly. When the truth can be obtained, then fear and uncertainty will subside – regardless of the outcome – and corrective actions taken.”

“Long ago Atrum and Corbyn granted one another faith that they would work together for the betterment of Haven. They certainly had their differences, and, had that faith not been given, Haven would have self-destructed years ago. Had such trust not been given Haven could not have flourished, could not have prospered, and could not have withstood great evils that threatened the entire world. Without that faith, none of us would be alive today.”

“I do not ask each side to like each other, but I do ask that they recognize one another’s common goals. I ask that they have faith in one another to work toward those goals. I ask that they work together to defend Far Reach, confront the Elven threat, and, perhaps eventually, reclaim Haven.”

“At the same time I ask that you remain vigilant and suspicious of one another. That you continue to investigate your concerns. Trust, yet verify, and Far Reach will be well protected against a repeat of dread betrayal. I only ask that everyone is careful of the trap of acting on suspicion, alone.”

“I began this topic because the House of Chance feared Atrum planned an attack. Atrum says words were taken out of context, that this is no more than rumor. I ask that the House of Chance trust that this is true, yet remain wary.”

“Likewise, the House of Chance states Gabriel was abducted by unknown entities. I ask those of the Inn to accept this, yet continue their investigations into the case. Find out what indeed has happened to him, and discover a means of retrieval.”

“Same for other the other concerns voiced by both parties. Accept the reasonings of the other, but make efforts to verify those reasonings.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Rhul lets a great sigh from the corner, loud enough to be heard around the room. Large as he is, many had not taken even a single glance to where he sat, a large tome in his hands, watching the dispute continue.

I feel it is my time to add my piece, such as it may be taken. He stands, his chair creaking slightly as in relief.

From the moment I arrived among you- in those thrice-cursed plague infested ruins- I have heard nothing but strife between the two camps in this town, such as they seem to hold themselves to be.

As it seems I am somewhat of an outsider in either group, I have nevertheless been privy to much of one's discussions about the other.

First (he holds up a prodigious finger): It is claimed ad-nauseum that Ingram is evil, and does not hold the town's ideals as his own. Yet many times he has spoken quite friendily- nay, possibly even what could be called candidly- to me, as stange a creature I may be, and has even gone so far as to stop what he was doing to aid myself and the lady Fionna in attempting to establish contact with her estranged brother.

And what did I hear when I spoke of this to the nay-sayers? "Oh, he must have demanded payment from you, surely."

(he sneers) No! He did not. He agreed to help as much as I would agree to attempt to help any of you, regardless of where you hold your loyalties within this town.....as long as it was not to the detrement of those around you, of course.

I have also heard it claimed that it was assumed that he demands payment of those who wish to stay in the keep--that he forces Fionna and myself to pay to call it's walls home, and the Guthrie named Daine must put his skills as a smithy to work at the smallest whim of his "Lord" Ingram, with a safe bed as payment.

Those are lies and supposition as well.

(He holds up another finger to quiet a murmur)

I have also grown tired of the endless debate about the Vampires and their Wolven enemies in attendance at the ball, and how the House of Chance allowed them to be there-possibly even invited them.

I have called those walls home for a time now, and I personally went to the Lady Esmerelda herself when Dallid brought their attandance to my knowledge. She told me under no uncertain terms to refrain from unbased violence, and I obeyed her out of respect for her great pride in the celebration she held so dear.

It seems to me that the two "Leaders" in this town- Esmerelda and Ingram as seems to be commonly accepted- came together to respect each other on the night of the ball. They extended the olive branch, why cannot those who claim to follow each of them in turn?

I currently reside within the House of Chance, but throw my full support behind Esmerelda and the town as a whole. One moment I might aid in the defence of the keep fighting alongside those who live there, but later that day I might just as easily be found carrying one of Korrigan's ale casks from the trader's cart to the tavern, or helping the Lady Esmerelda decorate for a harvest celebration. If I had personally seen Gabrial taken, I would surely have done all I could to stop it from happening, but alas, that which did it was gone before I could react.

I am quite certain that as surely as we fail to work together, those enemies around us who wish us to fail strive harder to do so....however certain of our abilities we each may be.

*He cocks an eyebrow and looks around the room questioningly*
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan wanders over to the bar as Dallid and Rhul are speaking. Grabbing another mug and a turkey leg, he reclaims his seat and flashes a grin at Rhul*

"Look, I didn't understand some of what the book-monkey over there said, but I like him, so I'm not gonna take that personally. I will say this, though: nobody from the House of Chance has ever done me wrong. Nobody who stays here has ever done me wrong, either. If there are two "camps" around here then you can all consider me and the Tipsy Traveler the new third camp. I don't want anything to do with any "camp" bullshit, and I won't have it wrecking my Inn."

"Dallid, do you really think they can just set all this aside and work together? You want them to set their differences aside... like Atrum and Corbyn did... to work against a common enemy... like Atrum and Corbyn did? I may not have been around, but I've heard that whole thing didn't work out so well. You want them to live in some fuzzy inbetween of suspicion, always wondering if the next enemy will be the one the other guy decides to join up with? Seriously? Really? Have you bumped your head? Is that what happened to the unicorn horn?"

*Clearly flabbergasted, Korrigan shakes his head.*

"You do know what will happen, don't you? They'll keep talking shit about each other and people will eventually start listening to the guy they like best. Then you'll get even harsher lines between your "camps" and even if you don't care, people will put you on a side just because you spend more time with these folks than those folks. People will start questioning each other, and sooner or later we'll all get tired of people looking at us with accusing eyes. Then it starts... "You know, we need to do something about THEM before they get US". Shit, it's already started - and Gabriel may be the first casualty of a war we're already hip-deep in."

*Standing, Korrigan looks over the people assembled.*

"You wanna talk about the cost of acting too soon? If some folks just decided to end all this and kill each other like decent people we could move on. Two men, two swords, nothing else. One guy lives, one guy dies and everybody agrees that when it's done it's done. Whoever lives can work with Esmerelda and Abaddon and we might actually be united when the next thing comes down the pike. The cost comes out to be exactly one dead asshole. The cost of acting too late? Some folks around here know what that is... it's a whole buncha dead assholes. Dead assholes, sure, but dead women, children and other nice folks too. Maybe even the end of the world, and all because a bunch of folks were just too damn weak to step up and kill somebody. What a load of shit."
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Ingram enters, a small smile on his face*

Thank you Atrum, I believe you may have provided a solution to all of our problems. You say you're not going anywhere so long as I am here? Then I have a proposition. We both leave.

*Ingram chuckles, his smile growing*

It's so simple it defies logic. We each think the other is a lunatic that can't be trusted, and refuse to surrender the well being of the people we care about to the whims of the other. So, why don't you go back to the king you serve, and I'll go start a new community that doesn't want my head on a pike. At this point, I'm inclined to say that our option is that, or to agree with Korrigan and say we go out into a field and stab each other like a couple of assholes and get it over with.

*Ingram looks across the room at Atrum expectantly, the smile never leaving his face*
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"I doubt a one-on-one fight will solve anything. Indeed, it may make the situation worse. Killing one man will not relieve the suspicions on the other. The fallen may well be considered a martyr to a faction bent on revenge. And dispite all efforts, such a martyr will likely not remain dead long."

"An uneasy alliance is precisely what I hope for here. The alliance betwen Atrum and Corbyn worked well for years. Haven was prosperous and strong during that cooperation. It's only flaw perhaps that it became too comfortable. I see no danger of that happening here."

"All the factions of Far Reach working together can accomplish tremendous things. Each faction on its own can do little. So the core question here is: will you live for yourselves only, or will you dedicate yourselves to the greater good?"
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Rhul
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rhul »

Personally (he says, crossing his arms and leaning back against the table), with no ill-will towards any involved, I really don't care if both of you settle your differences or not. As long as it stays between you two, it's none of my concern. Frankly, none of the dissention I see or hear is from either of you anyway, but those loyal to either of you.

I believe I am with both Korrigan and Dallid when I state that I would help either of you if you needed it- with little or no concern for your past history together--so long as you didn't pull me into your disagreement, of course. Each of you seems to trust me, and that is enough for me, for the moment.

Is most of the problem possibly stemming from most of this town being at two locales? Some form of held-out sourness at what happened at Haven and it's two groups and what came of that situation? From what I understand, the only problem with Atrum and Corbyn working together is that Crobyn truly was evil! Otherwise, they solved many problems effectively.

What Corbyn did later does not matter when proving that fact-- sometimes you can't worry about whether the sun will rise tomorrow when you need to solve a problem today.

Most people fail to remember the fact that during the attack on the House of Chance after the harvest celebrations, we who were there fought together. We came from two places, and we fought together against a common threat. Was it really that hard to replicate?
Last edited by Rhul on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Ingram chuckles again, turning his head to Rhul*

Of course it's that difficult, Rhul. I'm evil and can't be trusted. Ask anybody, they'll tell you.

*Ingram looks back across the room at Atrum*

I've given you ample opportunity to bury the hatchet before it came to this Atrum. More than once I've asked that we let bygones be bygones. Unfortunately, we find ourselves in the here and now. I'll be waiting for your answer.

*Ingram turns, clapping Dallid genially on the shoulder before exiting the building*
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*To Ingram*
I would not trust that you would leave and stay away. You'd just disguise yourself as something else and return again. That solution requires that we both trust each others word, I clearly do not trust a anything you say so that solution is certainly not one that is feasible.

And I believe that Dallid is correct, either of us dying at the hands of the other would send those loyal to either of us on the rampage which is exactly what I've tried to avoid.

You came to me lately to try and bury the hatchet, and I told you that I haven't worked against the house, that your actions have set people against you and that they fear for their lives now because they believe that they may at some point just disappear because they oppose your views. I have simply stopped trying to protect you from those people. A few of us have had to talk people down from coming to kill you. I, for one, am done doing that. You are out of control and if the natural order of things is for people to choose to rise up against you I won't try and sway people away from it anymore.

*To Rhul*
You I think understand the dynamics that this town has ALWAYS had, even long before you joined the community. There has ALWAYS been strife and mistrust amongst the people, but we can always pull together to protect what most of us share as a common goal. Simply to stay alive, propser and remain free from the yoke of someone we don't wish to bend knee to. I have never understood why so many people expect that everything will ever be peachy keen amongst all of the townsmembers. If you get 5 people together, 1 will hate at least one of the others and mistrust will be evident in most against at least 1 other given any amount of time. That's just the nature of communities. As long as it doesn't evolve into outright hostilities to the detriment of the town it should be expected.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!