Inner Strife

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Dallid
Deceased

Inner Strife

Post by Dallid »

Dallid sits quietly at an Inn table, listening to the conversations around him. After awhile his stands and raps his knuckles against the tabletop, drawing the attention of all present.

“I have heard both disturbing discussions and disturbing rumors. The discussions speculate on possible wrong-doings of Ingram and the House of Chance. The rumors indicate dire actions may be taken on these speculations. Concerns that civil war may erupt out of fear. War that will greatly weaken - if not outright destroy – Far Reach. I wish to confront this now and try to separate fact from fear, for I may not be here when the situation comes to a head.”

“I have heard many suspicions voiced – suspicions stated as fact, though no facts are known. I have heard that Ingram arranged to have the Bell stolen from his tower while many were away from Far Reach. I have heard that he possesses the Bell now, keeping it hidden from all others. I have heard that he intends the eventual destruction and/or domination of Far Reach. Yet I have not encountered facts supporting any of this.”

“What most people agree upon is that the bell was in the tower when they left for Elthanar. What I have seen is that the Bell was indeed not in the keep tower when they returned. What I have heard is that the tower was carefully watched and guarded in the interim.”

“How the Bell was taken, no one has discovered.”

“But I have also heard that while many sought to discover ‘how’, Ingram labored to discover ‘where’. The Bell is no small thing, and could not be easily moved unnoticed. Thus did he hope the Bell was not moved far, and then compiled a list of nearby locations capable of hiding it from common view. Then he and his supporters set out to explore these locations, and eventually they did find it.”

“Then have I heard that, knowing his own keep has failed to hold the Bell secure, he turned it over to the Dwarves to keep beneath their mountains.”

“What I have not heard – nor seen nor otherwise experienced – is any evidence to the contrary. Nor have I had any reason to believe Ingram or any within his keep have ambitions to harm or conquer their fellow citizens of Far Reach.”

“Would any have such knowledge? What have YOU heard and seen and experienced?”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum speaks up from where he's sitting having a drink*
What disturbs me most is that Ingram expected people to just take his word that Corbyn was evil. We now know that Corbyn was diabolically evil. Yet Corbyn was accepted by most of us that have been around for quite some time. We wanted proof not speculation. The problem lies in that there is no way to garner indisputable proof. I sat outside that bell tower while you all were gone, watching to make sure that nothing happened to it. Noone went in or came out from the outside. Teh bell was not moved from the tower physically or there would have been signs everywhere. As I'm sure you know there are wards on the bell tower, none of which stopped the bell from being stolen. From the inside of the tower and surreptitiously spirited away. SOMEONE on the inside that has full access to everything inside of that hold did it and it was moved through means other than physical. Yet, when questioned about the bell it mysteriously re-appears a few minutes later and was beingheld by a group of undead that Ingram defeated himself.

And then there is Gabriel, last seen by multiple people with Ingram and Abbadon, mysteriously disappeared and mysteriously unreachable in the void. Almost as if he were trapped somewhere in between the this existence and that one. Not unlike a certain being held in the House of Chance. If Corbyn should have taught us, especially those that supported or defended him is that a preponderance of the evidence should be considered and not necessarily a single piece of indisputable evidence being delivered. What would you accept as indisputable evidence? Multiple people have told me that they know both of these things have happened, so is their word acceptable proof? Is their word along with the preponderance of other evidence proof enough? I suspect not, and that is exactly what is being counted on.

I know that you wish to quell any unrest people may have, but sometimes unrest is there for a reason. People fear for their lives, they believe that they may be taken and never heard from again just because they don't like or disagree with Ingram. I too have worked for many cycles to keep this town from tearing itself apart from the inside. But I don't believe that the people living in fear of someone is a good trade-off. Where is the proof that these things did not happen? If you were to put all the things brought forward on a pair of opposing scales on one side you have the word of a couple of people who stand accused and on the other you have an ever growing mound of proof. And in my opinion, so much being brought forward in the past cycle is just too much to ignore.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Atrum makes a good point. Things stack up. I find it interesting that HE proclaims the bell was safe while we were gone, but he is the only one with the MEANS,the MOTIVE and the opportunity, having trafficed in our stolen keys.

Who gained from the loss of the bell and the rumors? He does. Who has mysterious informants he can not produce? Atrum.

Who mysteriously reanimated after making a deal with an unknown necromancer? Atrum. Who murdered her before she coud be questioned? Atrum.

Yes, the evidence IS piling up."

EDIT:

"We asked to leave these things alone, and we have, but the accusations against must be answered. In order to be united, rumors need to stop."
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

How do I gain from the loss of the bell and the rumors? I've been trying to keep people from killing each other for longer than most people have even been a part of our community. If my aims were to kill Ingram I would have done it when his life rested squarely in my hands.

We know that you have magic, we know that Ingram can build gates, we know that you both have full access to everything within the keep.

And of course I will not betray those who have trusted me with information, if they choose to come forward themselves for the sake of our community then great. Perhaps the will come forward to people like Dallid that have some sway in our community. But I won't betray their trust, especially since it would mean them disappearing.

How do I have the means to get past the gendarmen, get past the magical wards, and move the bell? I freely admitted that I had a key, because I thought it was extremely unwise to have our best defense against Corbyn be controlled completely by one or two people.

At EVERY turn both you and Ingram shirk your responsibilities and try and place the blame on someone else, mostly me. Ingram wanted the mantle of leadership but ALWAYS shirks the responsibility that goes along with it. He wanted complete control of the bell and he let it be stolen, or lied and hid it away. Either way it was his responsibility.

I have submitted myself to anyone that wanted to test me. Dallid himself tested me, if he wants to test me further I would willingly submit to that.

In order to be united lies and disappearances of towns memebers needs to stop. I have left any accusations I may have had outside of another kingdoms door step because I was asked to. But now it threatens the fabric of the town and the people of it.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Ingram and myself have also done as has been asked of us at every turn. We were the only ones to offer MODhri complete and unfettered access to our House. We supported the town when there was no food.

the only one of us, who committed any wrong doing, is you. You kept our stolen key, and may have jeopardized the entire town with it. The only evidence, is on our side.

The Bell was stolen while we were gone. Galen had promised us protection, and we got none. We offered it to the dwarves the moment it was here. Again, only you had access while no one else was here. ALL of us were in elthanar while you and you alone watched the bell, with a stolen key. AS for what you gain, this. I suspect you are trying to make up for your horrible choices in Haven by trying rout those whom you can not control here in Far Reach.

I see you neglect to explain your necromantic return, or the murder of the one who carried it out. And you seem to have a habit of false accusations based on known liars and invisible witnesses.

As for gabriel, I am sad that happened. I had no control over the spirits who possessed him. There is no way I could have taken Gabrial in a fight, as magic is my only weapon. I allowed any and all who asked unfettered access to that room, and still do. And Yes, Gabrial and I were in there alone, I made, and make no secret. Gabrial was the more rational of you, and I am sorry to see his loss, and would like to see him avenged, if you could leave behind your baseless accusations and find out what really happened.

Perhaps we are working toward the same goals. Perhaps there is a third party to root out that has taken hold, and turned one against another. Needless to say, Atrum, you are forgiven for your tresspass, even your hubris against this town. We, continue to be vigilant especially during the bloodmoon."
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum laughs*
What have I ever accused either of you of before this? Other than shirking responsibility which you continue to do at every turn. Everything is someone elses fault when anything goes wrong.

I've explained my return, from the failed resurrection that you were a part of, to any and every person that has asked me about it. I've submitted myself to being tested. What more do you want?

You say magic is your only weapon, yet I've seen you affect things without doing it magically. When you fought with the werewolves you affected them with something different than your magic. The same werewolves you angered enough that they named us enemies, only Dallid and I negotiating with them and a few of us going out and doing something about it kept our town from garnering another enemy. YOU are the one that should be apologizing for your hubris against this town, yet, again you shirk your responsibility and I'm sure you'll find a way to try and blame the werewolves attacking your keep on me. Even though apparently your people KNEW that there were vampires there, and apparently had invited them there.

Make no mistake, I will certainly continue to be diligent against ALL threats to our town. Not just those that you and Ingram create.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Yes, we are all happy you paid the Bully's bill with the werewolves. They attacked us, died, and demanded payment. You paid them. At what point did that sound like a good idea? They will demand more next time.

What I used against the werewolves was a spell, that takes some time to cast, and what not very good. I will not do so again.

I want the woman who rezzed you. I want to know what strings she can still pull. Surely someone who lifted you from death wouldn't go out to simple murder.

as far as vampires, none were invited my us. They showed up. We did not start anything with them out of respect for the lady esmerelda. once they proved they were a threat, they were gone.

We have not shirked anything. We have supported, and helped at every moment. We have tried to do what was needed. And we will continue to do so."
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Weak, bleeding from both eyes and near death, Korrigan steps into the room from his private quarters.*

"I was just sleeping, and I swear... I thought I was dreaming about my first days here. This is the same worthless shit you guys were bitching about when I showed up."

*Staggering towards the bar, Korrigan grabs a drink, downs it, and looks at Dallid.*

"Look, Dallid, I know you're trying to keep this all nice-nice, but it ain't gonna work. This is bone-deep hate we've got goin' on here. I don't think there's a damn thing that either side could do to prove themselves to the other. Yep, this is the way it's gonna be... till one of 'em dies, they kill each other, or something comes in and kills us all."

*Korrigan laughs a bit.*

"You got one part of it right, Dallid. This is all about fear. Fear doesn't need any proof, fear doesn't need any justification, fear just is - and it looks like these folks are more afraid of each other than whatever else is coming down on us. You want to bring these people together? Good luck! To pull that off somebody has to change or somebody has to die, and I don't see these folks changing."
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

*Aurora looks at Dallid her voice very calm, but one can tell she has just about had enough of this bickering witnessing it from a corner in the Inn.*

Wise one, the strife is already there as Korrigan stated. Since day one when Atrum and Ingram decided to have their little "debate" in the snow there has been strife. Esmerelda calls for unity, but then in the same breath Atrum starts up his Ingram is the bad guy thing.

So, Atrum care to explain how you have flat out told me you are willing to kill anyone who resides in the House of Chance because that is where they reside? You are putting people's lives in danger all because of your wounded pride. The ga'vin, Fell, myself...all of us working towards the current threat of the Red Tear. If we are there when you attack then oops, we'd just be collateral damage because we are oh how did you phrase it, "to naive to see just how evil Ingram and Abaddon truly are". Your words not mine.

As for Ingram, well see he and Abaddon both assisted me fighting the Red Tear. Ingram and I fought side by side against skeletal knights. Before you even ask, the reason we didn't come to get you was because we had to move and move quickly...I had a strikeforce ready to go so we went. There was not the time to track people down and Dallid, myself, and those in the House had been working on the Red Tear threat all day.

Humm....it would be quite interesting when the Gendarmen ask why you killed one who served with them how it happened I mean since round-aboutly you'd be killing someone whom the Caldeonians have taken time to raise. That is when you decide to take care of the problem that you see.

As evil as you proclaim Ingram to be he isn't the one constantly taking every opportunity to point you out as a bad guy. You two don't like each other and we all get that, but you go out of your way more to complain about him and start issues.

You accuse Ingram and Abaddon of killing Gabriel? Show us the proof? Put them on trial and present your evidence like any rational human being would instead of pretty much plotting to murder others to prove some twisted point that you have. Murder...that is point blank what you are saying out in the open you are willing to do.

You couldn't even put your pride aside when it was asked of you, requested actually, to call a truce to this madness, at least for now with the Bloodmoon approaching. There are many of us who would prefer to focus on that threat then have to worry about if let us say so-and-so will shank me in the back because Atrum wants it to happen just because they reside in the House of Chance.

This is foolish. I may be by age younger then you, but it is you and this folly that has you acting like a child.

You say you have proof, then give us this proof to back up your claims. I asked this once of you before, show me this proof you have accumulated. The Gendarman I was needs this proof as I bet others do as well.

One thing is for certain this insanity, as Dallid stated, needs to stop.

You asked a question Atrum of what you had to gain from the loss of the Bell? Here is my answer, a chance to complain and plot to kill Ingram, Abaddon, and all those who reside at the House of Chance. An opportunity to get people all worked up to start a civil war.

*Aurora looks Atrum dead in the eyes.*

You do realize your actions and what you are saying jeopardize the very thing Esmerlda want and that is unity.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Finishes up his glass and slams it onto the table

"This is all absoulte bull, You are sitting here and bickering, and rumor mongering, and are doing everything to tear this place apart, yet we have lost one of our number, and thus far have been able to do nothing about it!"

*Shakes his head

"I do not fear the enemies of this town....I am more frightened that I will have my throat slit in my sleep by one of my "friends""

"I am not interested in the squabbling over who should lead, or how they should lead, that is not my concern, my concern is for those who I have come to call friends, and me seeing them devolve into a bloody fight that will pretty much end everything that has been attempted at building."

"I am not a scholar, and I am by no means a Warrior, but this town is going to be destroyed by no army, and by no magic, but by a simple thing as mistrust."

*Gets up and heads up to his bunk

"And I am not going to sacrafice my life for nothing, If anyone needs me I am going to go scout out the damn key holes in the hillside, and to see if I can gather anymore information about our missing Friend."
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Malachi is walking down the trail when he hears the sounds of the argument coming from the Inn. He heads there and walks in, listening to both sides. As Abaddon brings up the idea of a third party playing both sides, his head cocks to the side and speaks quietly, more to himself than anyone else.

"Why hadn't I thought of that?"

He sits at the bar and rests his chin on his fist. Every now and then he mutters something that sounds like it could be a 'yes' or 'no'. The sound of Serith slamming his mug down seems to snap him out of his trance-like state.

"All I see here are the victims of a serious lack of order, community, and just plain misfortune. What's done is done, and there's very little we can do about it."

"I was not aware that Gabriel was dead. I thought he was taken, body and all, to someplace between the realms or whatever. Now, even being of an entirely non-magical nature, I believe that if this is the case he is very much alive, just not here. I'm sure we all know that spirits can be fickle, and from what I have heard of Gabriel he was very good at getting himself into trouble without any outside help."

He pauses for a drink.

"I am not saying that Gabriel is to blame for his disappearance. I am saying that no one is to blame for it. Same goes for the bell. Something happened, that no one can prove mind you, and it was gone. Then it was back and a series of accusations appeared. What good does that do?"

He takes another sip, sets his mug down, and stands up. He drops a few coins on the table, and heads towards the door.

"But hey, what do I know. I'm just a simple craftsman."

He exits the Inn and continues down the trail.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

Mohdri sits back and watches all the exchanges with an impassive look on his face. It turns a little sour, though, when Aurora speaks.

*(Too all who care to notice, he looks haggard and like he hasn't slept in about a week.)
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

As the words between the two obviously disparaging sides continue a man sitting in the back of the in, near a large shield clears his throat. Those that know him recognize him as Jaycen, called the Blackhawk.

“As it appears anyone here can speak freely I think I’ll say my peace.”

“I live my life now for only one purpose and that is to see that Haven is restored to those who once lived there and to bleed every single elf that tries to stop me. I took a contract to defend that place when the war started and I lost too many friends to call it quits. I will fulfill my contract to Haven and in that regards the person who ultimately holds that signature, Atrum Draconus.”

“Far Reach is a necessary stopping point in reaching that goal. We are refugees in this place and are here by their grace. Yet some of you behave in a manner as if this was always your home. Such rude behavior is unbecoming. Others, who do call this place home act is if our presence is a trial to you. Hospitality was extended, and gratefully accepted, but this does not make you in any way better, or more “right” in respects to any problems. The Genderarm, from what I have seen are a respectable bunch for the most part, and being forced to deal with the influx of refugees. But it appears that some seem rather hot-tempered and act is they are perfect. Trust me when I say no one is perfect.”

“As for needing proof to act, look where that took us the last time. I surely suspect that Atrum is done with trusting someone. I surely suspect that in his eyes everyone is guilty until they prove otherwise. Something that I think any survivor of Haven feels, but may not admit to.”

“It is rather difficult to leave suspicions behind when entering the House of Chance when an ally goes missing, vampires are treated as respected guests and hostility seems to boil under the surface.”

(sorry about not having an account for the character I'll fix-icate that)
To avoid the confusion you may call me....

Stark
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"as for treating the vampires as honored guests, That was not the case. No one was sure they WERE vampires, having no non-combative way to identify them. We simply made ready. They were allowed to remain, because I promised Lady Esmerelda we would avoid interrupting the party unless it became necessary. They were not violent, and it was not until the werewolves showed, that they became violent. Since we had no proof, they were simply treated as strangers, which in the House, all guest are honored. To put us working with the vampires is simply a gross exaggeration." Abaddon says.

"as for hostility, The house is open and welcome to all comers, and no one is turned away. There should be no hostility there."
Pugo Redfang
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Pugo Redfang »

*Fell walks in to the Inn as the others are talking. He looks around the room and notice where folks are placed. As he walks over to Aurora leans down and whispers something in her ear. At that point he places a hand on her shoulder. Than he turns toward Abaddon and nods to him. He than walks over to a chair and sits down next to Mohdri.*

"You are looking very worn as of late old friend. Are you fairing well since we last talked?"